Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 03:08 PM

35 posts, read 174,535 times

Advertisements

Seems all we here about until the last few days is negative. It seems to me that if someone was moving to SW Florida (Ft Meyers/Lehigh area) there would have to be some positives somewhere.

Here is a scenario:

Let's say, a family is moving to that area. They will be renting a house for $1000 monthly + utilities. Man is self employed in an established trucking company already there and Lady is educated as a social worker but would like to open an inhome daycare (maybe 6 kids). But can also work outside the home if need be. No bills, no car payments. ALready checked auto & renters insurance and it is decent.

Shouldn't be a problem to survive and maintain a decent lifestyle unless I am missing something. The daycare business pays lots better there than in a lot of places. It kinda shocked me.
Everyone please let me know if I might be missing something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2007, 03:11 PM

2,141 posts, read 6,906,187 times
Read some news from the area. NBC-2.com

Last edited by firemed; 01-19-2007 at 03:22 PM..

Old 01-19-2007, 03:17 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
That's interesting about what you said about day care. It was the one thing that I actually liked about Fort Myers; their day care is very affordable. I'm surprised that they pay well.

A few years back, a parenting magazine named Fort Myers the best area for affordable day care. That is probably true.

Old 01-19-2007, 03:28 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,161,036 times
Check the following for current crime incidents:
http://www.news-press.net/maps/crime...php?area=beach

Moderator cut: copyright

Old 01-19-2007, 03:31 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
I always feel bad for the folks that come to watch the Sox's spring training. The stadium is in a terrible neighborhood and the hotels nearby are very unsafe.

Old 01-19-2007, 03:38 PM

42 posts, read 254,383 times
There are MANY positive things about SW Florida. I can imagine that your scenario would work. I haven't seen $1000 per month for rent in years for a nice home but that may be possible now with the real estate troubles.

Fort Myers is a beautiful place! You drive down McGregor Blvd. and fall in love with the area. The Caloosahatchee is a beautiful river. The sunshine and warm air, the beaches, the laid back feeling. It's all great!

I think the negative attitudes come into play from living in a place for a while and the newness wearing off. Reality sets in and you have to work with little time to enjoy the things that brought you there. The bills pile up, the traffic gets on your nerves, the news talks about pollution, raises in taxes and insurance, crime. It starts to become not so much of a gem.

I will always have an affinity for Fort Myers. I wish some things were different but it's still a great place imo. I can understand the bitterness although I don't appreciate it.

Old 01-19-2007, 11:46 PM

2,209 posts, read 7,656,129 times
It's a nice lifestyle here. We're in Port Charlotte and if you consider that a similar home 2 1/2 hours away in crowded Ft Lauderdale is at least double, I'd say PC is a pretty darn good deal.

We'd stay if we weren't smitten by the darn panhandle . And if we do not buy a house up there close to the gulf, we'll stay in PC.

Old 01-20-2007, 10:03 AM

24 posts, read 137,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTudo View Post
It's a nice lifestyle here. We're in Port Charlotte and if you consider that a similar home 2 1/2 hours away in crowded Ft Lauderdale is at least double, I'd say PC is a pretty darn good deal.

We'd stay if we weren't smitten by the darn panhandle . And if we do not buy a house up there close to the gulf, we'll stay in PC.
My wife and I are planning on relocating to Port Charlotte in 2008. Would you please advice us which neighborhood is closest to the beach. We are trying to stay a way from the gated communities. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Old 01-20-2007, 01:11 PM

363 posts, read 1,360,604 times
I live in the Port Charlotte area. I teach in the Charlotte County School System. My children attend Vineland ES and LA Ainger MS both A schools with great reputations. I live in Rotonda West on a cul-de-sac street and golf course. It is nice here, safe, quiet.

I have lived as a child in Coral Springs and Fort Walton Beach, then lived in Wellington for 8 years. When I divorced, I moved here to Englewood because it was less expensive compared to what I was paying in Palm Beach County.

My mom and sister live here too! We love it. It is starting to get expensive though. My homeowners insurance is $3200 and 2006 real estate taxes are $5600. Not easy on a teacher salary. I am 2 1/2 miles from Boca Grande Pass and 7 miles from the Manasota Key beaches.

Moderator cut: rude it is a nice part of SW Florida. Come on down!

Old 01-21-2007, 08:49 AM

5,701 posts, read 24,161,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2peaches2oranges View Post
I live in the Port Charlotte area. I teach in the Charlotte County School System. My children attend Vineland ES and LA Ainger MS both A schools with great reputations. I live in Rotonda West on a cul-de-sac street and golf course. It is nice here, safe, quiet.

I have lived as a child in Coral Springs and Fort Walton Beach, then lived in Wellington for 8 years. When I divorced, I moved here to Englewood because it was less expensive compared to what I was paying in Palm Beach County.

My mom and sister live here too! We love it. It is starting to get expensive though. My homeowners insurance is $3200 and 2006 real estate taxes are $5600. Not easy on a teacher salary. I am 2 1/2 miles from Boca Grande Pass and 7 miles from the Manasota Key beaches.

Moderator cut: rude it is a nice part of SW Florida. Come on down!
How was your stay at Fort Walton Beach?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida