Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 10:45 PM

355 posts, read 2,369,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by acegolfer View Post
Before registration, call GEICO and ask for FL coverage proof. They will issue one right away by fax or email. Bring the title and insurance proof to tag agency or DMV to register your vehicle. Once you get your new plate (or tag), you must return NYS plate to NY. Then you will receive F6L (not sure the number but it's pink slip) in the mail within 5 days. Without this, GEICO cannot change NYS policy. Call GEICO to officially change the policy and get a new insurance paper.

In the first sentence you say GEICO issues proof of coverage. But then you metion that without proof that the NYS tags were returned, "...GEICO cannot change NYS policy." So what is the proof of coverage? Is it not a switch from a NYS policy to a FL one?

I'm going in the opposite direction (from FL to NYS), and GEICO told me that as soon as the car is loaded into the container, I should call and ask my policy to be switched to NYS. That would be a complete change, not just a "proof of coverage", and there is nothing else I need to do after that in terms of insurance.

I too read on the NYSDMV website that license plates have to be sent back, in a specific manner (they will not accept tags with screws attached, they say...I wonder if they will send them back to you if it still has the screws), ... but then I see plenty of NYS license plates being auctioned on eBay...so I'm not sure how hard they enforce the surrendering of the tag part...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2008, 12:24 AM

995 posts, read 3,929,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgpg_99 View Post
In the first sentence you say GEICO issues proof of coverage. But then you metion that without proof that the NYS tags were returned, "...GEICO cannot change NYS policy." So what is the proof of coverage? Is it not a switch from a NYS policy to a FL one?
Not entirely. The first one is a proof of coverage for FL registration purpose only. The policy is still NYS. By NYS law, insurance companies cannot remove existing insurance as long as the car is registered in NYS. They can only change it to FL after the tag is returned to NYS. I know it's complicated.

Old 07-20-2008, 01:48 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,892,301 times
Quote:
I just moved from NYS to FL and I had GEICO insurance.

Unlike NYS, driver's license and plate aren't issued by the same DMV agency (at least in Broward county) in FL. I was confused at the beginning. I had to go to driver's license office for the license and county tax collector's office for registration. Many FLdians go to tag agencies which costs approx. $50 more but more convenient.

By law, car must be registered within 10 days and a new license within 30 days. Before registration, call GEICO and ask for FL coverage proof. They will issue one right away by fax or email. Bring the title and insurance proof to tag agency or DMV to register your vehicle. Once you get your new plate (or tag), you must return NYS plate to NY. Then you will receive F6L (not sure the number but it's pink slip) in the mail within 5 days. Without this, GEICO cannot change NYS policy. Call GEICO to officially change the policy and get a new insurance paper.

As for license, you can make an appointment online, which will save you time waiting at the office. You can even fill out online application. You will surrender your NYS license and receive a 30-day temporary license. The real license will be mailed within 2 weeks.

I am not sure whether there's a correct order between license and registration. But I got the temporary license before registering the vehicle.
LOL....none of this applies to what my experience was in Indian River County. You're sayiing you get the tag before the license? I received a permanant license not any temporary. And WHY would someone pay 50.00 extra to get a tag. lol

In Vero beach there's never a line anywhere .....that DMV problem is down in Broward.

Old 07-20-2008, 10:57 AM

Quote:
As for license, you can make an appointment online, which will save you time waiting at the office. You can even fill out online application. You will surrender your NYS license and receive a 30-day temporary license. The real license will be mailed within 2 weeks.

An interesting thing they have in Florida, if you don't want to surrender your previous license (you may need it to show previous residence, or because there are services you are subscribed to that are linked to that license number, or maybe you do a lot of busines in your previous state and spend considerable time there, etc.), is the "Florida-only" license. With this system, you keep your old license, and they give you one that is valid only in Florida. The insurance company, then, has a local license on record (and they are happy), and you still have your other license for identification/administrative purposes.

I know someone may be thinking: "Isn't it illegal to keep two licenses?". Even the NYSDMV website sates it's usually illegal to have licenses in different jurisdictions (that's their justification for destroying Canadian licenses), but if a state (e.g., FL) offers the possibility of having two licenses, I'm sure their legal department has already looked at the issue and has approved this dual-license system.

Old 07-20-2008, 05:03 PM

Quote:
An interesting thing they have in Florida, if you don't want to surrender your previous license (you may need it to show previous residence, or because there are services you are subscribed to that are linked to that license number, or maybe you do a lot of busines in your previous state and spend considerable time there, etc.), is the "Florida-only" license. With this system, you keep your old license, and they give you one that is valid only in Florida. The insurance company, then, has a local license on record (and they are happy), and you still have your other license for identification/administrative purposes.

I know someone may be thinking: "Isn't it illegal to keep two licenses?". Even the NYSDMV website sates it's usually illegal to have licenses in different jurisdictions (that's their justification for destroying Canadian licenses), but if a state (e.g., FL) offers the possibility of having two licenses, I'm sure their legal department has already looked at the issue and has approved this dual-license system.
I don't know where that two license idea came from.

They took mine at the Florida center when they gave me my Florida license. Without even asking if I wanted it. Are you sure?

Old 07-20-2008, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
I don't know where that two license idea came from.

They took mine at the Florida center when they gave me my Florida license. Without even asking if I wanted it. Are you sure?

Here's a link to the information online:
http://www.flhsmv.gov/ddl/geninfo.html

Scroll down to the title that says "Part-Time residents". They don't explain how someone would qualify as a part-time resident. In NYS students may choose to not be considered residents (because of their temporary status).

Old 07-20-2008, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Here's a link to the information online:
Florida DHSMV - Obtaining Your Florida Driver License - General Information

Scroll down to the title that says "Part-Time residents". They don't explain how someone would qualify as a part-time resident. In NYS students may choose to not be considered residents (because of their temporary status).
Thanks but I am a full time resident. I declared residency for the income tax benefits. And I actually moved here.

I see what you mean. I would say that's for students for example or anyone who needs to prove their identity here for like check writing maybe . Since so many people are suspicious of out of state. But it's wierd alright. I recall my son having difficulties in college showing PA id....they dont know what to look for on the kid's licenses from all over...

I guess they didn't worry about me getting carded when I got my license ha ha.

[SIZE=3]:[/SIZE][SIZE=3]class e Passenger cars, 15 passenger vans including the driver, light trucks with Gross Vehicle Weight Rating less than 8,000 lbs., or recreational vehicles.[/SIZE]

Old 07-20-2008, 11:01 PM

6 posts, read 28,937 times
Rusty78...thank you for posting these sites. I am up North researching a move, and these are very helpful in gaining more information, for a lot of issues that we wonder about.

Old 07-22-2008, 12:59 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,658,081 times
My husband had a temporary Florida license for 3 years. He still was able to get Florida auto insurance.

I had Geico in NY. I never sent back my plates. Although I did not go with Geico here, the the new insurance company I went with didn't say anthing about my NY plates being sent back. My NY plates are sitting in my file cabinet and have been for a little over a year.

However, my NY license was taken away IMMEDIATELY when I got the Permanent Florida one. That is the reason my husband only got a TEMPORARY Florida license, so he would not have to surrender his NY license and could drive there when he went back.

He just got his permanent license this year when we bought a house. In fact, because he got his license after me, I had to be the one to apply for the Homestead Exemption. Technically, I had "lived" in Florida longer than he did.

Old 07-22-2008, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
That is the reason my husband only got a TEMPORARY Florida license, so he would not have to surrender his NY license and could drive there when he went back.

He just got his permanent license this year when we bought a house.

So, when he got his permanent license, did he surrender his temporary one, or his NYS one?

An update on the temporary license thing: they will discontinue that option in July 2009, so no more new temporary licenses issued, no more renewals. If anyone needs to get/renew one, do it in June 2009 so it's valid for a few more years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida