Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Florida: students education, great schools, high school programs, teacher, go to college.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 11:58 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,595,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianogal View Post
Nomadicus....your excellent post reminded me of a story my husband likes to tell. He was born and educated here in Orlando, Florida. Well educated, I might say, holding graduate and post graduate degrees.

When he was in elementary school in the 60's - his principal had an interesting way to keep the children in line. When someone broke a rule, they were punished by a paddling from the principal. However, it was not private. The principal spoke over the intercom system which went into each classroom. He announced the pupil's name and what they did wrong and then proceeded to paddle them while still broadcasting. Everybody in school knew who was being punished, what they had done and they heard for themselves the consequences of such action. DH says it worked great. NO BODY wanted that to happen to them.

Can you imagine what would happen to that principal today?

I don't necessarily agree with this method, but we have gone too far the other direction.
Both DH and I remember our parents telling us that if we got into trouble at school, whatever they did to us there would be nothing compared to what we would get when we got home. They expected us to behave and learn. Nobody was on ritalin - there was no such thing as social promotion. Our parents and our teachers demanded respect and accountability. We were told school was our 'job' and were taught that you did your job to the best of your ability - nothing else was acceptable.

If I ever missed anything on a test in school, my mother made me sit at the kitchen table and work the math problem or write the word 50 times before I could go out to play. After that I had to complete my homework before being allowed to go out and play.

Parental responsibility and accountability....if it's missing...the children and ultimately society will suffer.
Amen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I might add that our principal used the Texas method here in FL in high school. He kept a canoe paddle in the office and you could here it all the way to the end of school's hallway. After all he was also the coach and he had to keep them grades up in order for us to win.

No offense to TX but after all things are bigger and better there so I'm told.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 12:03 PM

Default 5th grade in FL.

If you could not tell the teacher that a yard had 36 inches ya got a yard stick broke over your back side in bent over fashion in the hall for all to hear. Then you learned it. Of course some of those tough guy types new the right answer but proving how tough they were was a status symbol. Sad truth is most of those didn't fair well in life. Never had given that any thought until now.

Old 07-17-2008, 01:21 PM

185 posts, read 652,826 times
Default Where our children take us.....I love it....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
There are 2 vocational schools in my county here in FL and they do a good job of broad spectrum training for the work place. They are a real asset for FL. After all automotive mechanics don't need calculus to tune up my car.
Like I've always told my sons, I am proud of each and every one of you the day you were born. You should be proud of what you are accomplishing. Passing the state test to be an electrician. Passing the state test to be a plumber. Passing tests for computer electronics, the A+... C++...Networking. I'd like public schools/vocational schools to be more fine tuned Nomadicus. A friend of mine came from England, she was one of 3 kids. At that time a heavy duty test was given when they all reached 8th. grade. This test was determined whether they were college material or not. Her one sister wasn't and they found out she was a gifted artist and painter. She knew how to mix and blend paint. This sister works at Royal Dalton. YEP.. the ones that make the beautiful and expensive china and figurines and is paid very well. Other then the money aspect she is giving the world her talents of beauty. The students that are, "HANDS ON." Give them, "HANDS ON." I have seen it to much here the, " EDUCATIONAL TUNNEL VISION." "ONE WAY OR NO WAY." These kids that bounce off the wall, there bored because they don't have anything concrete to grasp. What are there real, "TALENTS?"

Old 07-17-2008, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jara View Post
Like I've always told my sons, I am proud of each and every one of you the day you were born. You should be proud of what you are accomplishing. Passing the state test to be an electrician. Passing the state test to be a plumber. Passing tests for computer electronics, the A+... C++...Networking. I'd like public schools/vocational schools to be more fine tuned Nomadicus. A friend of mine came from England, she was one of 3 kids. At that time a heavy duty test was given when they all reached 8th. grade. This test was determined whether they were college material or not. Her one sister wasn't and they found out she was a gifted artist and painter. She knew how to mix and blend paint. This sister works at Royal Dalton. YEP.. the ones that make the beautiful and expensive china and figurines and is paid very well. Other then the money aspect she is giving the world her talents of beauty. The students that are, "HANDS ON." Give them, "HANDS ON." I have seen it to much here the, " EDUCATIONAL TUNNEL VISION." "ONE WAY OR NO WAY." These kids that bounce off the wall, there bored because they don't have anything concrete to grasp. What are there real, "TALENTS?"
Hands on is a must. That's how they teach in my neck of the woods. Real cars to work on not just books. Real AC units to repair. Real networks for A+ etc. Now for C++ that is so special that it does take some background in upper level math. I know a little about that field. I dabbled in the code. Often times I had to build those math formulas into English to get the box of sand to spit out the answers. Yes formal training for the state tests is important too but if you don't know how to roll up the sleeves and get your hands dirty you have not arrived yet.

Old 07-17-2008, 01:35 PM

Jara, I'm familiar somewhat with Naples. The October art show is one of the greatest I've ever seen. We visit and camp on the way to Marco. The schools may be controlled there by a different way of thinking group. Hope you get 'em straightened out if they don't open their eyes a little wider.

Old 07-17-2008, 02:06 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,661,046 times
Default In the South Bronx

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
I was behind a teacher in Walmart at 6 am. She had a loaded cart. Crayons, paper, glue typical supplies. She said she was footing the bill. She spent around 400.00. I was chatting with her and said meanwhile, the congress is passing a bailout bill for foreclosures in the billions what's wrong with this picture. She said "you think that's bad? We have a superintendent that got a $900,000 payment for sick days accrued at a totally different county".

There's another post on this site from a Fire Fighter trainer who said that from every class a large percentage don't follow the clearly laid out policies. Such as lateness. They don't bother to show up on time or call out. WTH?

I'm baffled by the issues on education here as a new resident. Although when my family lived here in the 60's it was the same. And bad for health care too.

I know it's still the "South" but still....there's something but I'm not sure what it is. Probably just that the parents are less respectful of education being passed down. Since so many people move here over the decades without bringing skills perhaps. And I noticed many people think living "laid back" is a great thing even younger families. I know it's hot and all, but laid back is not going to make people competitive in the world.

Florida is not like every other state. The graduation rate is continually the worst or second worst and has a long history of poor performance. You can see the difference in the college levels that show an improved performance and stats say that 20% of inbound college students are from other states.

ETA I just read the article quickly. I still don't see how the entire state of Florida is being dragged down by just underprivileged. I'm going back to see if most of the schools are a C level or A. Seems to me it'd have to be alot of mediocre schools to average out low in the graduation rate.

Also usually by high school most of your problem students have already dropped out up North. So your high schools should be reflecting better. But I dont know how they measure now.
where my daughter teaches they ran out of money to buy toilet paper and tissues by the middle of the school year.

She sent a letter home with each of the kids (Kindergarten) asking for one roll of toilet paper and one box of tissues. She only got 2 rolls and 2 boxes. She went out and bought a case herself, but then had to keep it locked up because it was getting stolen from her classroom!

If nothing else, here in Florida they had enough supply of these products to last the whole school year.

Old 07-17-2008, 02:32 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,661,046 times
What I cannot understand is how so many schools (4) this year went from years of D's and F's all the way to A's in one year. C's and B's maybe, but A's? Only 1 school (HS) this year got an F.

I used to live in one of those areas. It was mostly poor, immigrant, non-English speaking. In fact when we tried to rent out our condo there, people turned us down because they didn't want their kids going to that elementary school because of its poor reputation. Now in one school year, it is a A school? How were all those kids able to learn English so fast and be able to take FCATS and pass them with flying colors in one year? The same thing happened at 3 other schools also. How?

Old 07-17-2008, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
What I cannot understand is how so many schools (4) this year went from years of D's and F's all the way to A's in one year. C's and B's maybe, but A's? Only 1 school (HS) this year got an F.

I used to live in one of those areas. It was mostly poor, immigrant, non-English speaking. In fact when we tried to rent out our condo there, people turned us down because they didn't want their kids going to that elementary school because of its poor reputation. Now in one school year, it is a A school? How were all those kids able to learn English so fast and be able to take FCATS and pass them with flying colors in one year? The same thing happened at 3 other schools also. How?
Very valid question. I don't have an answer and will not speculate or make an accusation. But I to would question it.

Old 07-17-2008, 05:02 PM

185 posts, read 652,826 times
I know that I'll never see it, but it would be nice to see what our neighbors across the pond lol England did. Of course I don't know what there education system is like now. But my English friend was telling me that at 8th. grade was the deciding year of what a student was going to do in regards of a career. The ones that were college bound went through rigid college prep. courses. And the ones slated for trade schools went through just as rigid courses in the trade they pursued. Yes this English girl was a gifted artist to start with, but she went to a 4 year art institute before going on to Royal Dalton Can you imagine Nomadicus, the car mechanic going 4 years in pursuing nothing but mechanics? Naples has big school issues. All my children are grown, but that doesn't keep me from WATCHING. I believe that every child should have a fair break. I just don't believe that a student who isn't grasping the learning process should be in a, "NO WIN" class that will use him/her as a head count for state appropriated funds. That has happen so many times in the past here that it's disgusting. I'd just like to know where the lottery money is really going? When teachers have to pay for the supplies. That's also disgusting.

Old 07-17-2008, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jara View Post
When teachers have to pay for the supplies. That's also disgusting.
I have a teacher in the family (daughter) so you know what I know about those supplies. It's so true every kid should have a chance to excel at what ever their aptitude is. And no rules for the late bloomers that prevent them from changing there minds. One of the great things about the trade schools we have here is that they train school age kids during the day and adults in the evening who needs more, better, or different training because they did change their minds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: