Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 10:44 AM

1,000 posts, read 3,348,207 times

Advertisements

Where in Florida is a decent place to live about an hour or less from Disney and not a bunch of lakes around. I have this (probably irrational) fear of alligators interacting with my 6 year old (though he would at least be 8 or so by the time we might move).

I don't let him out of my sight to play outside now but know that I can't be hovering over him his entire childhood. He has adhd so I'm just concerned about when he's older and off by himself or other friends not wanting to deal with him trying to explore at lakes, etc. where alligators might be, etc.

Okay, am I being irrational?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2008, 10:52 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,088,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPage View Post
Where in Florida is a decent place to live about an hour or less from Disney and not a bunch of lakes around. I have this (probably irrational) fear of alligators interacting with my 6 year old (though he would at least be 8 or so by the time we might move).

I don't let him out of my sight to play outside now but know that I can't be hovering over him his entire childhood. He has adhd so I'm just concerned about when he's older and off by himself or other friends not wanting to deal with him trying to explore at lakes, etc. where alligators might be, etc.

Okay, am I being irrational?

Thanks in advance!
A good friend of mine, got a map, with a pin, some string, and a pencil and drew a cicle from the center of Disney World / Orlanda out about 90 miles. That worked for driving distance, and he figured that anyone that came to visit him wouldn't mind that driving distance. That would probably equate to about 60 miles / minutes or so form where you may want to end up. He found an agent in the area that helped him out with the rest. -- I asked him why he didn't use a compass, and he said cuz it worked and it was cheaper. - That was good enough for me.

Good Luck!

Old 07-18-2008, 10:53 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
Yes you're being irrational but that's ok, you never know about parenting older kids till your kid reaches that age lol.

IMO you won't be leaving him out of your sight anyway and the days of wandering around in nature are a thing of the past. You have homeless and crimnals formally living in the parks even put in tents by the state!

You will have to be strict about knowing his whereabouts. I found all kinds of nonsense going on by PARENTS when my kid was growing up. Like showing fright films to 7 year olds and leaving the kids unattended for the entire night when they told me they'd be home....alligators are the least of your worries.

All these ads for LAKES are mostly bogus anyway they are water retention ponds that developers put in. But they are everywhere so ....

Old 07-18-2008, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
A good friend of mine, got a map, with a pin, some string, and a pencil and drew a cicle from the center of Disney World / Orlanda out about 90 miles. That worked for driving distance, and he figured that anyone that came to visit him wouldn't mind that driving distance. That would probably equate to about 60 miles / minutes or so form where you may want to end up. He found an agent in the area that helped him out with the rest. -- I asked him why he didn't use a compass, and he said cuz it worked and it was cheaper. - That was good enough for me.

Good Luck!
That's EXACTLY how the Sex Offender site works

You put an address in, and the computer draws a big circle with a radiobutton for each offender.

Old 07-18-2008, 11:17 AM

2,903 posts, read 12,534,532 times
If it helps, we have a "lake" behind our house. (Floridians call it a lake....it is a pond to me! ) But it is spring fed and full year round, unlike the retention ponds that seem to be everywhere.

Anyway, there is a big gator in there sometimes....but it seems very afraid of people and runs away very fast when anyone gets within 100 yards of him, (or her?)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/faithfulFrank/100_1561.jpg (broken link) This was taken from my back yard.
The point I'm making is that it seems more scared of us then we are if it. Of course, I have no little kids around.....

I think someone comes and gets them when they get this big.....

Frank D.

Old 07-18-2008, 12:20 PM

Thanks for the responses everyone. I have a feeling that no matter where we are, ours will be the house where all the kids are welcome to come hang out. I'd rather be watching a few extra and know they are safe rather than let mine be out doing who knows what.

Old 07-18-2008, 12:51 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,595,230 times
Gators, what gators? Well that is not a fear to hang on to. I grew up here and remember the way it was 50 years ago. Simple rule of the gators is never, never, never feed them. That will get you fined, killed, or maybe in prison. To many people no matter how well meaning feed gators. Then they get tame and then the trouble starts and the gator loses. One good rule to follow is never take a dog for a walk down to the lake with kids in charge of the dog. Gators sort of view dogs like I would a basket of fried chicken according to my late father. The dog splashes around in the water and the kid be the slowest runner. Bicycles are much more deadly than gators. Swimming pools vs gators? Children at play around the house have accidents more often than you hear of a child getting gator got. Just trying to be honest and give some horse sense feed back for you. Gators are protected by law. There is a brief harvest season but it is brief.

For your up close view of a real gator. This old gal is kind of cute don't ya think?

Old 07-18-2008, 01:03 PM

Don't get me wrong, I find alligators, crocodiles, dinosaurs, etc. fascinating just don't want my kid getting up close and personal with one in nature whether accidentally or on purpose.

Old 07-18-2008, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPage View Post
Thanks for the responses everyone. I have a feeling that no matter where we are, ours will be the house where all the kids are welcome to come hang out. I'd rather be watching a few extra and know they are safe rather than let mine be out doing who knows what.
That's exactly what I did cuz mine was an only child. Every weekend I had a guest OR he went to the homes of the 8 families in my crowd that I could trust and we were all best friends and had bbq and swim type parties each weekend anyway. We treated each kid like our own and those were the rules and we knew each others rules. Here in Fl it may be tricky but I wouldnt worry about the wildlife, BUT I would educate myself about the snakes, habits etc.

Old 07-18-2008, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post

For your up close view of a real gator. This old gal is kind of cute don't ya think?

Very cute, in fact if I could, I'd enjoy living near some....except for the cruelty part of humans against animals. I try and avoid witnessing that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida