Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 09:50 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,894,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristin4 View Post
Where I live in Pa my kids are safe. We can be out back in the pool and leave the front door wide open. My neighbors visit us and leave their garage doors opened. Doors are never locked. I guess I never realized how bad other people had it.
My parents lived in Naples for over 10 years. They lived in a HOA development and then built a home in the estates in the middle of nowhere. When I was there I always felt safe. We would take long walks... of course he lived on a dead end.
I just can't believe there are 110 offenders in 1 zip code.
Just crazy.
Prices are just too high for us in these other areas.
Small world. I'm from Bucks County Pa outside of Philly. Yes, we have a grand total of about 15 in my old PA zip and half of them had to register because they work there. AND they were all in certain apartments mostly.

Florida is filled with HOAs, use your ticket and come down and visit. Be careful with reading prices, though. Alot of them are short sales and you might not want to get involved.

Regardless, prices are still dropping and many feel won't bottom out until at LEAST next year. How about renting? That would give you the opportunity to make a better informed not rushed decision. Higher end neighborhoods are more accessible now with rents being lower. I rent a 2600 sf house for $1200 that would have been $2000 or so before.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2008, 10:25 AM

MSNBC right now is showing a guy who is sick of his kids seeing public sex so he goes around and films lewd activity in his town and posts it on utube and gives it to the cops:

john tv dot com

It's unbelievable I swear. Girls taking their clothing off right in the middle of the street not even in the car lol.....next to dumpsters.

Ok city.

Old 07-19-2008, 04:58 PM

39 posts, read 190,031 times
Kristin, where will you have to go to work? Sorry if I missed it...

Old 07-19-2008, 05:27 PM

208 posts, read 612,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambi007 View Post
Kristin, where will you have to go to work? Sorry if I missed it...
We are retired and my Dh is disabled. We will be living on a fixed income. So, basically we can live anywhere in the US. I prefer warm humid weather and beaches. This is why we picked south Florida. I have severe arthritis and RSD and can no longer tolerate cold and here in Pa, it gets cold! In the winter I have to soak in my jetted tub for at least 4 hrs every day just to keep going.

I am still coming to Florida, but turned down the offer on the house. It was lower than we wanted anyway. I will continue looking until I find something I really like and will feel safe. I just can't imagine taking my children from total freedom to total lock down. I just never knew places could be so bad...

Old 07-19-2008, 09:17 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,161,036 times
See link: FDLE Florida Sexual Offenders and Predators

Old 07-20-2008, 07:22 AM

208 posts, read 612,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrico90 View Post
That is the site I have been going on to check each address that I was interested in. Now I know why some houses are back on the market after being under contract. I thought it was because of mortgage falling through. Not always the case, some had pedophiles living right next door! Or how about the one with 21 offenders and 3 predators within 2 miles. I feel sorry for those people that invested so much money into their homes and now a pedophile lives next door. Really brings a value of a home crashing down.

Anyway, thanks for your help and input everyone. I will continue to look in Florida, but will be picky about each place and who lives nearby. Its not like we have to move right now... Although the thought of snow really ruins my day!

Old 07-20-2008, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristin4 View Post
That is the site I have been going on to check each address that I was interested in. Now I know why some houses are back on the market after being under contract. I thought it was because of mortgage falling through. Not always the case, some had pedophiles living right next door! Or how about the one with 21 offenders and 3 predators within 2 miles. I feel sorry for those people that invested so much money into their homes and now a pedophile lives next door. Really brings a value of a home crashing down.

Anyway, thanks for your help and input everyone. I will continue to look in Florida, but will be picky about each place and who lives nearby. Its not like we have to move right now... Although the thought of snow really ruins my day!
I would really suggest you move and rent anyway. Housing is not bottomed out and it's likely whatever you purchase is going to go down in value before it even starts going up. This way you can travel around and see different areas. That's what I'm doing.

Like I said I flew down almost weekly for months and things are different once you're here than when you're visiting. IMO moving from a distance to a purchase would have to be a FANTASTIC "special" property such as ocean front in a great building or location or say, it's next door to a family member and you've been wanting to be there ....etc....to get lucky enough that you have no regrets later. Too many variables...even dumb stuff, like for me, I cannot find a decent produce store and plan to move to where there is a Whole Foods. But when you eat mostly produce, it's pretty much a priority.

Remember, once you make the purchase it's not going to be that easy to unload it any time soon in Florida.

Old 07-20-2008, 08:14 AM

34 posts, read 28,981 times
doesnt alaska (or a state you would least expect) have the most (per capita) sex offenders?

Old 07-20-2008, 10:27 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,901,381 times
I believe so. Florida is something like 20th place but don't quote me on it unless I find a link. Florida most certainly has the perception of being number one though, largely thanks to the media and a few high profile incidents.

Old 07-21-2008, 07:21 AM

34 posts, read 28,981 times
I think FL does have the largest number of sex offenders, but per capita, I believe it is Alaska.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida