Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 10:41 AM

33 posts, read 177,529 times

Advertisements

Seems that we have a debate over the climate we each prefer.
Me, personally, I'd rather sweat on the golf course, come home and get under the cabana shower and jump in the pool than freeze to the point of jaw shattering discomfort. Actually painful every year I get older.
How 'bout everyone else?
I say "The hotter the better!!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2007, 10:50 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,263,356 times
I'm with you, IBNYer. But I bet I know one person who isn't!

Old 01-23-2007, 10:51 AM

1,398 posts, read 7,705,445 times
I wouldn't go so far as to say the hotter the better but I'd much rather be nearly naked than have to bundle up in a bazillion layers. Never been one for winter sports...ski/sled etc...couldn't care less...I'd rather bike,sail, put something on the barbi and down a cold one. And as a guy..lets not forget...the gals look a LOT better in a bathing suit than a snow mobile suit.

Old 01-23-2007, 10:55 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,263,356 times
Depends, Mr. Brown, on various circumstances...including gravity!

Old 01-23-2007, 12:33 PM

1,418 posts, read 10,191,570 times
I've lived in Central Florida all of my life. I'll take "Freeze". If I could sit on a golf course every day, or the beach, or by a pool under an umbrella, or wallow around in one of the cool springs, then I don't mind sweating. But when I have to wear business atire every day and walk around in 95 degree heat and 100% humidity, I can't stand it. My cloths get soaking wet. I go through shirts, etc. like some people go through paper towels. No winter in Florida is ever "too cold". It's always a welcome relief, albeit quite temporary.

I've been in freezing cold weather for short periods of time, and at least you can dress warm to go outside. Now, this may not be true in places like North Dakota, or Wisconsin - I'd cross those off of my list. But, when talking about the kinds of winters they get in North Carolina, Tennessee, West Virginia, even North Georgia - I'd gladly take their weather over ours - 20's and teens don't scare me.

FWIW, cold to me is anything below 35 degrees. If I'm doing any kind of physical work outside, I could easily wear jeans and a short sleeve shirt in temps 35 degrees and warmer, especially in higher altituded where the air is dryer and thinner.

Last edited by Prichard; 01-23-2007 at 01:37 PM..

Old 01-23-2007, 12:59 PM

168 posts, read 763,056 times
i've always said, i'd rather take clothes off than put clothes on.

one can always romp around in shorts and a t shirt, but in the winter places i've lived you have to bundle up to the point of suffocation to even get in the car and run up to the store - and that includes north carolina and oregon.

also "sweat or freeze" - well, one of those can kill you and it ain't sweat.

you can die of heat stroke, sure, but i managed to live nearly all my 58 years in florida without doing that - oh, my!

here in oregon, one wrong turn off the interstate can put your life in jeopardy during winter. and the recent tragic death we had that made national news is only one of several since i moved here in 2003. it's "LOST" season now. come summer, we go into "DROWNED" season, when the top news of the day is who drowned in the willamette or the mckenzie.

i'd rather take my chances with heat stroke than hypothermia any day, especially since my history with the former is nil.

Old 01-23-2007, 12:59 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,444,374 times
Hot weather, I've always liked hot weather. Even as a child I hated winter and being forced to go out for recess and play in the cold snow when it was 20 below.Or having to go out and do farm chores when it's COLD. I'll never adjust to winters and I'll never truly learn how to drive on ice and/or snow. Freezing temps are tolerable, but when it's very cold, I'm miserable. Winter bums me out and it's not good if you have fibromyalgia or arthritis or nearly anything. I like the looks of beautiful flowers blooming, leaves on trees, palm trees, etc. The brown old sticks that live with us all winter are depressing. And birds, there are no birds around singing when it gets cold.

Old 01-23-2007, 01:12 PM

83 posts, read 326,224 times
If it's cold and you have a heater in your house and your car -you survive. If you have A/C you survive the heat. In N/C you dress for cold and you remove your sweaters everytime you get to an indoor place. All the stores have heaters and it's warm. It is much easier to wear lots of clothe when it's cold than to remove your clothe when it's hot. I can't remove my clothe at work, stores or restaurants when it's hot. And when I leave work for lunch I run to my car for that cold A/C. I can't wear shorts to work. Althought people are in shorts 90% of the time, there are places you just don't wear shorts. It is not comfortable in the extreme heat or the extreme cold. Human beings are never satisfied.

Old 01-23-2007, 01:29 PM

168 posts, read 763,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellyg View Post
If it's cold and you have a heater in your house and your car -you survive. If you have A/C you survive the heat. In N/C you dress for cold and you remove your sweaters everytime you get to an indoor place. All the stores have heaters and it's warm. It is much easier to wear lots of clothe when it's cold than to remove your clothe when it's hot. I can't remove my clothe at work, stores or restaurants when it's hot. And when I leave work for lunch I run to my car for that cold A/C. I can't wear shorts to work. Althought people are in shorts 90% of the time, there are places you just don't wear shorts. It is not comfortable in the extreme heat or the extreme cold. Human beings are never satisfied.
all due respect, i was quite okay with hot weather in florida. i can "survive" the heat WITHOUT a/c. i cannot survive the cold WITHOUT heat.

in florida, the dependence on a/c is so great that every store, every office building is pumped up to the max and is generally freezing cold. i've had to actually take small heaters into jobs in gainesville because the office was cold to the point of shivering and since it was "corporate" no one would adjust the thermostat. and i wasn't the only one to do that.

i am someone that when they leave one of those horribly ice cold buildings, i give a sigh of relief. i've actually sat in my car with the windows rolled up trying to get warm on a summer day after leaving my office building. only takes a few minutes, but really - the common complaint in florida is how cold the buildings are and how hot it is outside.

as a nearly lifelong floridian, my preference is heat.

Old 01-23-2007, 01:34 PM

2,313 posts, read 3,192,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBNYer View Post
Seems that we have a debate over the climate we each prefer.
Me, personally, I'd rather sweat on the golf course, come home and get under the cabana shower and jump in the pool than freeze to the point of jaw shattering discomfort. Actually painful every year I get older.
How 'bout everyone else?
I say "The hotter the better!!"
Neither extreme is good but I would take the cool weather over the heat. Unless you are snowed in or something, you can function very well in cool weather in fact it feels good. You just dress accordingly and you can play golf fish work outdoors what ever you want to do comfortably. Heat is the complete opposite, all you do is sweat and try to get from air condition place to air conditioned place.

The air conditioning can become an addiction and many people can not function without it. Point is, cool is easy to deal with, heat isn't. I used to work construction and I longed for the cold weather, again, not the extreme. You would work up a little heat and before you knew it you had your jacket off and it felt great. Heat will just about kill you when you have to work in it. I don't think it is even a close call, cool is much better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida