Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If you won the Lotto would you leave Florida?
Yes, I would leave immediately. 20 29.41%
No, I would stay. 24 35.29%
Yes, I would leave, but come back as a snow bird. 16 23.53%
Yes I would leave and never come back. 8 11.76%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 01:40 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,653,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdblauvelt View Post
For me its the fact that if you had millions I still would want to get my moneys worth. This can be done in other places. Yes, I could afford a ranch, or mansion, but I could make the money go farther for the same quality of life somewhere else. If I had millions I could move to a place in Florida that has fewer people, less traffic, less crowded, larger lots. But that wouldn't change the local economy or attitudes of my neighbors. It wouldn't bring seasonal change. Also I couldn't become a snowbird, I don't like to live in multiple places, just isn't for me. So I would have to leave.
We do own both a condo and a single family house. When we move back, I supposed we could keep the condo to come back to, but I wouldn't want to even if money was no object.

Besides, I have two cats. Even if the plane fare for them wasn't a concern, the back and forth and back and forth would be far too stressful for them. Money wouldn't solve that one. I wouldn't want to turn my poor babies into "druggies" from flying on planes all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2008, 02:13 PM

98 posts, read 273,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
We do own both a condo and a single family house. When we move back, I supposed we could keep the condo to come back to, but I wouldn't want to even if money was no object.

Besides, I have two cats. Even if the plane fare for them wasn't a concern, the back and forth and back and forth would be far too stressful for them. Money wouldn't solve that one. I wouldn't want to turn my poor babies into "druggies" from flying on planes all the time.
I agree. I have 2 large dogs and a cat. It would be insane to cart them, and I couldn't leave them. I agree with the point about the cost. Just because I can afford something doesn't mean I have to. I might be able to afford a $2 million house, doesn't mean I want to. I used to scuba dive, but the reefs are gone. I don't go to the beach. Theres no museums that I haven't been to. There is nothing new, or worth a second visit. So why stay for longer than a week at Disney. Which is the only thing I would go to more than once. Don't need to keep a place here for that.

Old 08-01-2008, 02:21 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,389,796 times
I would stay, keeping FL as my permanent home for tax reasons, and then have a coupel properties elsewhere... Ohio place to stay a couple months in summer next to family ties, and I'd try to buy up the mountain lake home my great-grandparents owned years ago in New Jersey that was in the family until just recently.

I actually do like where I live, however, so I'd stay mostly in the same area.... just move onto or closer to the intracoastal. If it were a BIG lottery winning, I'd hop on over to Palm Beach Island... lagoon side though... not a fan of beach erosion worries.

Old 08-01-2008, 02:55 PM

98 posts, read 273,061 times
Having moved here when I was 15, and having been here for 22 years, I wonder if my attitude towards Florida would be different if I was a snowbird. Maybe I would like it more. But I keep asking myself if I came down for a visit what would I do. Other than Disney I can't think of anything that interests me.

Old 08-01-2008, 03:16 PM

119 posts, read 112,580 times
"If I won the lottery, I would buy every malcontent in south and central Florida a house in North Carolina"

oh no, compelled. please dont! you see how south fla and many parts of central fla are now due to the malcontents that have moved here. fla used to be awesome (it still is in some parts), but the rest of the southeast still has a chance to not turn into another nj or latin american country.

Old 08-01-2008, 03:22 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,890,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by like2fish View Post
"If I won the lottery, I would buy every malcontent in south and central Florida a house in North Carolina"

oh no, compelled. please dont! you see how south fla and many parts of central fla are now due to the malcontents that have moved here. fla used to be awesome (it still is in some parts), but the rest of the southeast still has a chance to not turn into another nj or latin american country.
I thought you were a Florida native? You should want to see that happen to Florida way more than any other inferior South Florida yankee like me. That's some very twisted logic. Remember, many native Floridians are malcontents too.

Old 08-01-2008, 03:45 PM

i would love to see that happen, but i think the chances are slim to none, unfortunately. the good ones like u compelled, more than welcome to stay. listen to the roots all day son!

Old 08-01-2008, 03:48 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,154,501 times
I will stay and continue to enjoy my paradise...http://bestsmileys.com/party/5.gif (broken link)

Old 08-01-2008, 03:51 PM

good for you sunrico! enjoy the real fla!

Old 08-01-2008, 05:32 PM

148 posts, read 682,405 times
Yes!! Even if I won Power Ball I would stay in FL...I would move to somewhere south of Marathon Island, go fishing several times a week, and live like I was on vacation -- it's so much fun in Florida IF you have a positive outlook -- THEN, I would have a big party and invite my favortie bloggers and meet you all in person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida