Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Florida a good place to visit, but a bad place to live?
Yes! 296 52.02%
No. 273 47.98%
Voters: 569. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 05:48 AM

179 posts, read 565,812 times

Advertisements

Yep, kinda get used to the heat, and true sitting at home is always done in the cut off jeans and light clothing. i do live close to the coast, and have no foliage and buildings blocking my windows.
I do not have leather furniture, "that would be unthinkable,lol"
I do have the additional box fans, for the bedroom windows.
Your mother, like myself, probably was down here when there was not a lot of places that you went to that had a/c. We would go to church, or town meetings, office buildings, and everyone had hand held fans so you could cool yourself. It was not uncommon.
You just had to dress appropriately. I was young, and grew up with the hot muggy weather and love it. Although by mid September, I too am longing for November!!!! Your mother too must have been a very special person.
That loved this wonderful place....
Floridians, can be transplants or born here, it takes a special person to love this place in spite of all its natural, and unchanging climate and all that goes with it..!
"The key", Florida first populated along the coastal regions, before a/c people did rely on those all important breezes to keep cool. And if you notice our temps are always higher in the summer, and cooler in the winter, the furthur inland that you go. The coastal breezes from our warmer ocean waters, keeps us fairly regulated, with milder temps. In tenn. you are lacking the ocean breeze....

Last edited by P Andrews; 04-29-2011 at 06:22 AM..

Old 05-02-2011, 10:27 PM

After all these days of no comment I guess we should accept that the only bad thing that people could say about this state, that may make it worse to reside in than the other states, relates to things that Mother Nature deals out.
And that of course is something that no man can control, so I guess that just means that they are not cut out for Florida, and maybe they need to shop elsewhere for their happiness

Old 05-02-2011, 10:39 PM

776 posts, read 1,672,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1306 View Post
For all the back and forth we have had on here, I will give you this, you do sum it up very well for many.
I know there are a large group of people that love Florida except for the weather.
I know many think I am strange for loving the heat but weather aside I think Florida is great. I just get the added bonus of loving warm weather.
I actually think your weather is decent, less humid, cools off another 10-15 degrees at night much of the year so much better than SoFla IMHO and I've lived and done business in both over the years. I always recommend folks from south FL who want out to at least consider north of the I-4 corridor instate before high tailing it out for good.. It is a different world

Old 05-02-2011, 10:50 PM

413 posts, read 819,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
As a native Floridian, Florida is the worst place I've lived. I was glad to leave.

People always talk about how great the weather is, If you like 100 degrees and 90-100% humidity then it's the place for you.

If you like violent thunderstorms EVERY day during the spring, summer, and fall, it's the place for you.

If you like paying $1200 a month for rent and want to make $8 an hour IF you can find work, it's the place for you.

If you like paying thousands in homeowners insurance, auto insurance, and property taxes, it's the place for you.

If you like high crime, rude, and old people, it's the place for you.

That's just the start...
And you live in Houston! ROTFL

Old 05-03-2011, 05:57 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,365,861 times
We lived there for 6 years and now we're back north and we've got nothing good to say about year-round living in FL. It's a great place to visit, use, abuse, and then leave. Rick Scott was the last straw for us. High insurance rates, smarmy summers, love bugs, fire ants, daily electrical storms, etc. I don't think we realized how miserable we were there until we moved away and re-experienced forsythia, daffodils, hills, walking trails, etc. And yes, SNOW!!! Also the zombie-like neighbors, people who won't let themselves get too close or talk about their feelings because if they did then they'd realize their dreams haven't been met, their house is worth nil, and how unhappy they were in their decision to move to FL.

Old 05-03-2011, 07:10 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipoetry View Post
We lived there for 6 years and now we're back north and we've got nothing good to say about year-round living in FL. It's a great place to visit, use, abuse, and then leave. Rick Scott was the last straw for us. High insurance rates, smarmy summers, love bugs, fire ants, daily electrical storms, etc. .
I know summers are hot, but never knew they could be "smarmy" lol.

Old 05-03-2011, 08:27 AM

623 posts, read 965,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipoetry View Post
We lived there for 6 years and now we're back north and we've got nothing good to say about year-round living in FL. It's a great place to visit, use, abuse, and then leave. Rick Scott was the last straw for us. High insurance rates, smarmy summers, love bugs, fire ants, daily electrical storms, etc. I don't think we realized how miserable we were there until we moved away and re-experienced forsythia, daffodils, hills, walking trails, etc. And yes, SNOW!!! Also the zombie-like neighbors, people who won't let themselves get too close or talk about their feelings because if they did then they'd realize their dreams haven't been met, their house is worth nil, and how unhappy they were in their decision to move to FL.
You should be a judge

Old 05-03-2011, 10:02 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,122,145 times
Been here a year come July.

I can see how people can tire of the lack seasons here and it being sunny almost all the time.

With that said, I am looking forward to our daily thunderstorms. I love the smell of the rain it brings and the excitement of the lightning and thunder. I love how it only sticks around for 1 - 3 hours, makes everything green and moves on its way.

I do wonder if those that live more than 5 miles from the coast complain about the heat more. I think they probably do. My home is always cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter than in Tampa.

Most people in general aren't too neighborly, no matter where you go. But it's a two way street. When you first move in, make it a point to say hi to your neighbors. Bring them a pie, dog treats for their dogs you hear or some other type of personal gift on the holidays. Friendships takes effort, so does being a good neighbor.

The stability of gov't services here sucks. They're cutting the budget left and right, but that's what happens when the state accepts large sums of temporary money from the federal government. Boy, that was stupid huh? Now there are all these programs that were created and expenses created using that wonderful no string attached free money that is no longer being paid to the state. Sadly, the state knew this money was only temporary. But in typical gov't fashion they took the free money, couldn't resist. Not to mention the people in the state of Florida would have scoffed at not taking the free money. Again, idiots.

Hopefully the gov't will have spending under control and insurance will no longer increase by absurd percentages every year. They say Orlando is already turning around with tourism and hopefully Florida can attract clean industries and businesses to move here, resulting in jobs. Hopefully all this will occur in 5 years or so. We shall see.

Old 05-03-2011, 10:12 AM

1,388 posts, read 2,386,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Energy_Fin_Guy View Post
And you live in Houston! ROTFL
i was thinking the same thing

Old 05-04-2011, 03:53 AM

Me Neither
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida