Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Florida a good place to visit, but a bad place to live?
Yes! 296 52.02%
No. 273 47.98%
Voters: 569. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 08:30 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,726,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landlubber View Post
I am thinking of moving to fl, and was hoping to find some words of encouragement here...but I only see a couple positive reflections out there. Anyone have any "pros" for me? I've been living in the Midwest for 4 years now, but am originally from the south, so I can take the summer heat. In fact, I miss it after 4 very long winters. What's not to love in southern fl?
The lack of work... If you coming and needing a job.

Old 06-12-2011, 09:28 PM

3 posts, read 6,005 times
Got a job. But, I was in the Clearwater area and noticed there is a definite decline in commerce. Lots of empty/closed businesses. Same senario in the ft myers area?

Old 06-13-2011, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landlubber View Post
Got a job. But, I was in the Clearwater area and noticed there is a definite decline in commerce. Lots of empty/closed businesses. Same senario in the ft myers area?
Yeah, there is a good amount of the same here, closed stores, for lease signs, businesses struggling like crazy. It's pretty sad actually. Robb and stucky furniture, here for nearly 100 years, went out of business. restaurants are open one month, closed the next.

Old 06-13-2011, 07:17 AM

2,602 posts, read 8,263,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA70 View Post
restaurants are open one month, closed the next.
Independent restaurants are like that in good economies, too. Entering the restaurant world is pretty hard.

Old 06-13-2011, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret111 View Post
Independent restaurants are like that in good economies, too. Entering the restaurant world is pretty hard.
Very hard. My stepdad opened one in 2007, did GREAT for like 6 months(in season), then came crashing down after all the birds flew north... He sold it, and got out by the skin of his teeth.

Old 06-14-2011, 09:14 AM

776 posts, read 1,664,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilred0005 View Post
I'm sorry, I can't wait to leave and frankly cannot find anything redeeming here at all, at least in my area as I will not speak for the whole state. I also find some irony in some of the posters proporting to know so much about Fla. I see rose-colored posts from self-proclaimed Fla experts who don't even live here, or who lived here for a yr back in '82, who think visiting often in tantamount to full-time residency. Look, I'm not goingvto claim to be an expert either however, as a Fla native who has lived here for all my 34 yrs, I think I do know a bit about life in South Fla. I won't spend hours detailing why I so strongly dislike it here, will just say that I'm far from the only person leavingthe state around here as many of our natives/long-time residents, are sadned and disturbed with how thingshave changed/deteriorated down here.

I'm seriously looking to get as far away from South Florida as possible and will be heading to the U.P. or northern New England in the next yr. May we all find what we are looking for in this vast country.
For sure you are not the only one here a long time thinking the same way in recent years. You just live a different type of groundhog day here relative to where you are looking to go. Down here the beaches are stunning and work well with our nine months of summer so are my escape to nature from the craziness in society..Looking forward to checking out the area between Traverse City and Mackinac this year + the U.P. Vermont one of the nicest states overall I have seen in all my travels.

Old 06-14-2011, 09:26 AM

776 posts, read 1,664,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA70 View Post
Very hard. My stepdad opened one in 2007, did GREAT for like 6 months(in season), then came crashing down after all the birds flew north... He sold it, and got out by the skin of his teeth.

Likelhood of business failure down here always seems much higher for many reasons we always talk about.

Old 06-14-2011, 06:07 PM

670 posts, read 1,270,853 times
I'm so glad to know that im not the only that does that dance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipoetry View Post
Yes, it's part of the dance new Floridians do in their heads to convince themselves that they made the right choice. Thankfully, some of us come out of our trance and forge back into real life! But thank you for researching my older posts. Must be too hot to go outside and live your own life, aye?!

Old 06-14-2011, 06:17 PM

670 posts, read 1,270,853 times
i swear i thought something was wrong w me bc after 5 years i havent gotten used to it either! its reallt driving me insane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sak9210 View Post
We moved from NJ to Bradenton, FL (near Sarasota) and lived there for 5 years. We were never able to get used to it, and moved back up north.

Old 06-15-2011, 11:24 PM

126 posts, read 708,408 times
Florida is an amazing place to live year around! I for one LOVE the heat and thunderstorms that everyone complains about. I love intense weather. I love when the sky turns black. I love the gusts of wind before a storm. I love how the rain brings relief on the hottest days. The weather here is very interesting. I spent 5 years in San Antonio, Texas and it was the longest 5 years of my life! If you want to talk hot, than talk about Texas. 100+ degree days are VERY common in the summer and not without humidity. No rain for weeks on end. Most of San Antonio's rain falls in winter, especially in the morning where it can be 30-40 degrees. Rain and cold winter weather just DO NOT mix. I cannot count how many days I couldn't get out of bed in San Antonio. Here, in Florida, I LOVE getting out of bed everyday. The air quality was horrendous in Texas and I found it hard to breathe.. Here in Florida, my lungs feel so clean and the humidity makes my skin baby soft. I love that I can keep my tan year around. I love swimming in the Atlantic ocean with the pounding waves. I love the clear and gentle aquamarine water and powder white sand of the gulf coast. Weekend trips to the Keys and feeling a world away or spending a day at a world class amusement park with state of the art roller coasters and thrill rides is not out of the question, as it can be in many other parts of the country. Florida is very diverse with many different regions that suit all types of people. Southern conservatives will love Jacksonville. Those seeking Latin flavor and night life will love Miami. The gulf coast is for those seeking a more laid back life style. Sports enthusiasts will enjoy Tampa. I personally LOVE Orlando and think it is a very beautiful and interesting place! I love the lakes and rivers. I find the tourist industry (especially Orlando) to be interesting rather than annoying. It makes for a wide array of activities and things to see and do. There's always fun to be had down here. Florida's population is much more diverse than just old people and Spanish speakers. I've met many people I love and hold close to my heart here in the sunshine state. Not everyone is rude. I've met plenty of Texans with a chip on their shoulder. And considering I know how to talk to and deal with people, I find some of the rudest people aren't rude to me at all. I've never been a victim of crime here and neither has any member of my family. If you don't put yourself out there, you'll never have to worry about anything happening to you. I do not find the drivers here to be any worse than those in Texas. All of the reckless driving I've seen here, I saw in Texas too. Texas had an ENORMOUS amount of uninsured and unlicensed drivers on the roads. It was actually quite scary. Insurance told us the rates were going up because of this. Florida is my home state and I can't really imagine living anywhere ever again. Sure, there's plenty wrong with Florida, but there's also plenty right. Every state has it's good an bad. It's just what you're willing to compromise. For me, Florida really does not lack in any department as it does for other people. The one and only reason Florida gets bashed so frequently is that many people move down here expecting a certain way of life, and Florida does just not fit their bill, and that's fine. This place isn't for everyone. If you like having four seasons, building snowmen, skiing, or hiking mountains, Florida is NOT the place for you! If you don't like the idea of your car being the only way to get from point A to point B, than Florida is not the place for you. If you like cities with million plus populations, taxi services or monorails, a plethora of art galleries and museums, Florida is not the place for you. Texas did not fit my bill as the weather is just a little too chilly in winter, the beaches flat out SUCKED, it was too dry, and just did not have that tropical look that I love. I became accustomed to it after 5 years and accepted that there's more to the world than Florida, but I could never go back. I love my home state and I will stick by my answer, that yes, Florida is an awesome place to live year around! My only complaint is the bugs, but that's just about anywhere with this much water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida