Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Florida a good place to visit, but a bad place to live?
Yes! 296 52.02%
No. 273 47.98%
Voters: 569. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 01:40 PM

464 posts, read 1,741,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FringedNFab View Post
Oh me also! I think some who live in Florida take everything for granted just because they live there all around it. Maybe after I'm there for years driving by all the recreational parks and the ocean next to you everyday at your disposal to use, maybe one gets used to everything after awhile. But I'm active and an outdoors person and I've spent time in SW Florida (Clearwater) in late summer and I did not just sit inside. Some people hate cold and love warmer weather. If the sun is shining, I'm out in it. That's just the type of person I am. Why do these people live in such a tropical environment if they hate it and just sit inside all the time? That is not living life to me. Kinda explains some of the crabbiness from some I guess...

Roger Doger on that ; Im so looking forward to having sunshine 300 days out of the year. I think it helps make you feel better . Im an avid outdoors person too : Bike riding, nature trails, kayaking on lakes, RVing, astronomy, walks along the beach, classic car shows, et al... Where in Florida are you moving to ? Im moving to Crestview, Fl which is the Panhandle...40 min. from the Gulf and 15 min. from Blackwater River State Forest Park. Cant wait ! Are you a Single gal, or, did someone stake a claim on you ?

Old 09-07-2008, 02:13 PM

1,781 posts, read 6,962,609 times
My son and I went nature walking today and had a great time heat and all, I don`t let it stop me from enjoying the outdoors!

Old 09-07-2008, 02:34 PM

360 posts, read 1,909,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowDeDo View Post
Roger Doger on that ; Im so looking forward to having sunshine 300 days out of the year. I think it helps make you feel better . Im an avid outdoors person too : Bike riding, nature trails, kayaking on lakes, RVing, astronomy, walks along the beach, classic car shows, et al... Where in Florida are you moving to ? Im moving to Crestview, Fl which is the Panhandle...40 min. from the Gulf and 15 min. from Blackwater River State Forest Park. Cant wait ! Are you a Single gal, or, did someone stake a claim on you ?
I will settle on the Sarasota general area, and most definitely one of the newer built homes. While I've not ruled out living a block or two from the beaches (Sarasota to Englewood) I think theres nothing wrong with just settling inland a bit as long as I'm about 20 25 minutes or less from them. My brother and his fiance recently visited Destin and they loved it. It does look to be a beautiful area, they just get a touch of winter and cooler up in the panhandle I hear. Some may enjoy that, some may prefer the more moderate warmer temps southern Florida gets in the winter. Um, I am an impersonator sometimes lol and only dress like my favorite music icon Stevie Nicks at times. But only for myself, I don't do shows or anything. I do have a lot of nice stuff tho. I may look odd tho in all black, in sunny Florida. And I am single, no ones staked a claim yet.

Old 09-07-2008, 07:19 PM

464 posts, read 1,741,527 times
Quote:
I will settle on the Sarasota general area, and most definitely one of the newer built homes. While I've not ruled out living a block or two from the beaches (Sarasota to Englewood) I think theres nothing wrong with just settling inland a bit as long as I'm about 20 25 minutes or less from them. My brother and his fiance recently visited Destin and they loved it. It does look to be a beautiful area, they just get a touch of winter and cooler up in the panhandle I hear. Some may enjoy that, some may prefer the more moderate warmer temps southern Florida gets in the winter. Um, I am an impersonator sometimes lol and only dress like my favorite music icon Stevie Nicks at times. But only for myself, I don't do shows or anything. I do have a lot of nice stuff tho. I may look odd tho in all black, in sunny Florida. And I am single, no ones staked a claim yet.
Yes, i hear Sarasota is a nice area . Ive settled on Crestview, Fl in the Panhandle as my sister doesnt live too far away , the beaches are only 40 min. away, Destin the same , its cheap living in that area, property taxes are silly low, and i want to live in the country a bit ,close to a tiny town. Ohhh I like to dress up also ; I dress up like Clint Eastwood sometimes and practice the line :' Go ahead Punk, make my day !' as i stand in front of a full length mirror with a big plastic toy Gun. Its great fun and beats painting my toenails red every night. Dave.

Old 09-07-2008, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Yes, i hear Sarasota is a nice area . Ive settled on Crestview, Fl in the Panhandle as my sister doesnt live too far away , the beaches are only 40 min. away, Destin the same , its cheap living in that area, property taxes are silly low, and i want to live in the country a bit ,close to a tiny town. Ohhh I like to dress up also ; I dress up like Clint Eastwood sometimes and practice the line :' Go ahead Punk, make my day !' as i stand in front of a full length mirror with a big plastic toy Gun. Its great fun and beats painting my toenails red every night. Dave.
Well I have a huge standing mirror here right next to me in this bedroom but I haven't dressed up in front of it in a few weeks lol. I won't lie and say I haven't before tho You sound pretty humorous and outgoing, it would've been nice having you move to the area I plan to, as I'll know no one down there. At least for awhile anyway, I guess. But I'll have some family who will be moving down as I do so I won't feel too bad. I think my mom and dad and my older sister are set on going down when I do soon. They've been looking at homes around that area also.

Old 09-07-2008, 07:41 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,770,229 times
Default Agree AND disagree

I am over being negative around here, but I have to add my input on this.

Crabbiness yes. When you are here 365 it does wear on you to walk outside and it is 92 degrees with a heat index of 105+ EVERY DAY. From your door to your car you sweat. Getting into your 170 degree car is not fun either. I can't bring my daughter to the park to play on swings, slides, etc. for fear of her being burned.

Recreations such a biking is not enjoyable here in this time of year or from May until November. I was an AVID bicyclist until I moved here in 1995, I just didn't like the heat OR the drivers around here. It is way too hot to hike, and where do you actually hike in FL?

So yes some of us are crabby, miserable, and stuck inside.

NOW, on the other hand, January and February are great here, best time to be in Florida, I love the 50 degree days, refreshing dry air. THEN I am outside.

I am from New England, and will be back there in 3 weeks. I did not spend my days inside there most of the year, except if it was rediculously cold. I cross country ski when I get every chance. I bike all summer(we have bike trails up there specifically for bikes, not just a small little 3 foot marked area on the side of a road like here on my street). The version of a bike trail here is really assanine, you still have people flying by at 50mph... And our bike trails up there double as a cross country ski trail. I hike on MOUNTAINS, none here, hiking here is walking... Not hiking. Camping, not here unless you have an air conditioned rv. I tent camp, and have not for the last 14 years, no one can say it's not too hot for that here. If they do they are lying... I cannot imagine sleeping in a tent here when it's 85 degrees at night and 100% humidity. Not me, no way. I would go in January/feb though, it would be great here then, no doubt.

I have lived here for 14 years up until now, lived by beaches the entire time, I have gone to them maybe 15-20 times... Parks all over the place, yes. They are empty all day until the sun goes down. Why is that? TOO HOT. Come live here for 14 years and you will understand some of what I am saying.

There are many great things down here, beaches are the best when you actually go to them. Nice winter weather for 6 weeks or maybe a few more. Beautiful tropical areas(everglades), theme parks galore, great food of all kinds everywhere(except good pizza and real seafood is few and far between, and not meaning Floridas type of seafood, I mean New England style IE wholebelly clams, haddock, scrod, steamers). Lots of sun if you are a sun person. Sunsets are awesome at Fort Myers beach. Fishing up the ying yang in FL....

Quote:
Oh me also! I think some who live in Florida take everything for granted just because they live there all around it. Maybe after I'm there for years driving by all the recreational parks and the ocean next to you everyday at your disposal to use, maybe one gets used to everything after awhile. But I'm active and an outdoors person and I've spent time in SW Florida (Clearwater) in late summer and I did not just sit inside. Some people hate cold and love warmer weather. If the sun is shining, I'm out in it. That's just the type of person I am. Why do these people live in such a tropical environment if they hate it and just sit inside all the time? That is not living life to me. Kinda explains some of the crabbiness from some I guess...

Old 09-07-2008, 07:46 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,770,229 times
I would watch out while Kayaking on lakes down here... Unless this is what you want to play with.

Quote:

Old 09-07-2008, 07:47 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,560,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoMA4good View Post
I am from New England, and will be back there in 3 weeks..
Lucky you, I have to wait until next summer.

Old 09-07-2008, 07:57 PM

Quote:
I am over being negative around here, but I have to add my input on this.

Crabbiness yes. When you are here 365 it does wear on you to walk outside and it is 92 degrees with a heat index of 105+ EVERY DAY. From your door to your car you sweat. Getting into your 170 degree car is not fun either. I can't bring my daughter to the park to play on swings, slides, etc. for fear of her being burned.

Recreations such a biking is not enjoyable here in this time of year or from May until November. I was an AVID bicyclist until I moved here in 1995, I just didn't like the heat OR the drivers around here. It is way too hot to hike, and where do you actually hike in FL?

So yes some of us are crabby, miserable, and stuck inside.

NOW, on the other hand, January and February are great here, best time to be in Florida, I love the 50 degree days, refreshing dry air. THEN I am outside.

I am from New England, and will be back there in 3 weeks. I did not spend my days inside there most of the year, except if it was rediculously cold. I cross country ski when I get every chance. I bike all summer(we have bike trails up there specifically for bikes, not just a small little 3 foot marked area on the side of a road like here on my street). The version of a bike trail here is really assanine, you still have people flying by at 50mph... And our bike trails up there double as a cross country ski trail. I hike on MOUNTAINS, none here, hiking here is walking... Not hiking. Camping, not here unless you have an air conditioned rv. I tent camp, and have not for the last 14 years, no one can say it's not too hot for that here. If they do they are lying... I cannot imagine sleeping in a tent here when it's 85 degrees at night and 100% humidity. Not me, no way. I would go in January/feb though, it would be great here then, no doubt.

I have lived here for 14 years up until now, lived by beaches the entire time, I have gone to them maybe 15-20 times... Parks all over the place, yes. They are empty all day until the sun goes down. Why is that? TOO HOT. Come live here for 14 years and you will understand some of what I am saying.

There are many great things down here, beaches are the best when you actually go to them. Nice winter weather for 6 weeks or maybe a few more. Beautiful tropical areas(everglades), theme parks galore, great food of all kinds everywhere(except good pizza and real seafood is few and far between, and not meaning Floridas type of seafood, I mean New England style IE wholebelly clams, haddock, scrod, steamers). Lots of sun if you are a sun person. Sunsets are awesome at Fort Myers beach. Fishing up the ying yang in FL....
Like I said, maybe after a few years I'll become so used to all that Florida has to offer as far as outdoor recreation and take it all for granted like some do who live there. That's the greatest thing about America tho, you can always move someplace else if you have the means. I myself would not like a place like New England. I like warmth and sun. Not cold rainy drizzle and ice and snow storms in winter. I along with the few family members who are moving down soon, we'll each be renting for awhile as well advised. A plan has been well thought out as this has been in the works for a year and a half now. I'm not just up and relocating to a different state overnight. Jobs, housing worked out, those have all been well thought out and planned for before we all hit I75.

Old 09-07-2008, 08:05 PM

Quote:
I would watch out while Kayaking on lakes down here... Unless this is what you want to play with.
I don't kayak and have enough sense to stay away from lakes and ponds in the south so that's not an issue for me. I do however see that many avid outdoors people DO pay no mind to alligators and go out on lakes and rivers down there when kayaking. Many videos of Myakka State Park show people doing this very thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida