Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Florida a good place to visit, but a bad place to live?
Yes! 296 52.02%
No. 273 47.98%
Voters: 569. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 11:39 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,937,156 times

Advertisements

when I was a teenager I thought I wanted to live in Florida. I visited often to see Braves spring training in Orlando. But one year we had unusually warm temperatures in December here in NY. It was in the 70s for a good couple weeks in December. I hated how warm it got to be after about, hmmm, 3 days. It was nice having 70s in the winter for about those 3 days, then I got tired of it. It didn't feel like the Christmas season at all. It was then that i realized I could never live in Florida with the year-round warm weather. Not for me.

Old 08-07-2008, 01:35 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,536,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
when I was a teenager I thought I wanted to live in Florida. I visited often to see Braves spring training in Orlando. But one year we had unusually warm temperatures in December here in NY. It was in the 70s for a good couple weeks in December. I hated how warm it got to be after about, hmmm, 3 days. It was nice having 70s in the winter for about those 3 days, then I got tired of it. It didn't feel like the Christmas season at all. It was then that i realized I could never live in Florida with the year-round warm weather. Not for me.

Aren't you glad you realized it before you went to all the trouble of uprooting your life there??
I admit I still miss the fall and the 1st snowfall, but it's home to me for the rest of the year.

Old 08-07-2008, 02:06 PM

1,080 posts, read 4,586,689 times
Default Terrible place to live

When my mom and dad moved here in the 70's, we'd come down once/twice a year, we'd spend time at Disney, visit other area's, and at one time we really were going to buy a moblie home and come down in the summer's. (we had young children) that didn't pan out, but we continued to come down at Christmas and in the summer for 11 yrs. Then in 1987 we moved here, and my daughter who lived with her grandparents each summer for 6 years, said to me one day, what is wrong with this place, its not like it was, when I came to visit Grandma in the summer. Well, we now live here was my response. The kids did not like it here one bit, boring, hot and cranky old people as they put it. Daughter was first to leave, after HS and one year of college she left for New Jersey and never came back, second to leave was her brother off to the Marine's and never came back, third and forth sons have stayed (20's) and are ready to jump ship and run, because of lack of decent paying jobs. Fifth child, barely hanging in with one year of college and 3 hr. work week at Publix, she's ready to leave also.

Believe me, when we were coming once a year I thought it was great, we had a place to stay (no motels) great places to visit, Disney, Sea World, Busch Gardens, Adventure Island, the beaches, the East Coast of Fl was crowded but the water was great. If I had my way, I'd split my time, have the best of two worlds, here in the winter and up North for the summer.
I've hated it here since 1987 and everytime I want to get out, something has always stopped me, now its the economy and real estate market, I continue to have hope that one day I too can leave and never look back.

Old 08-07-2008, 02:26 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,660,026 times
Default Sounds's like my husband's boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Songbird42 View Post
When my mom and dad moved here in the 70's, we'd come down once/twice a year, we'd spend time at Disney, visit other area's, and at one time we really were going to buy a moblie home and come down in the summer's. (we had young children) that didn't pan out, but we continued to come down at Christmas and in the summer for 11 yrs. Then in 1987 we moved here, and my daughter who lived with her grandparents each summer for 6 years, said to me one day, what is wrong with this place, its not like it was, when I came to visit Grandma in the summer. Well, we now live here was my response. The kids did not like it here one bit, boring, hot and cranky old people as they put it. Daughter was first to leave, after HS and one year of college she left for New Jersey and never came back, second to leave was her brother off to the Marine's and never came back, third and forth sons have stayed (20's) and are ready to jump ship and run, because of lack of decent paying jobs. Fifth child, barely hanging in with one year of college and 3 hr. work week at Publix, she's ready to leave also.

Believe me, when we were coming once a year I thought it was great, we had a place to stay (no motels) great places to visit, Disney, Sea World, Busch Gardens, Adventure Island, the beaches, the East Coast of Fl was crowded but the water was great. If I had my way, I'd split my time, have the best of two worlds, here in the winter and up North for the summer.
I've hated it here since 1987 and everytime I want to get out, something has always stopped me, now its the economy and real estate market, I continue to have hope that one day I too can leave and never look back.
He came here with his parents as a teenager with his 3 siblings. His parents always wanted to come here and start a business. Every one of his siblings has since moved back to NY. His Dad has long since sold the business. He is a widower now, in his 80s, and failing health. My husband's boss says he has always hated it here, but has stayed for his Dad. He says when his Dad passes he will join his brothers and sister back in NY. His wife is from Pa., came here as a teenager, too and also wants to leave. They have only one child, born and raised in Florida, who just started college. The son told me that once his parents leave, he will too. Said he wants to be close to family and that he will have more job opportunities in New York "No reason to stay here" is what the son told me.

Old 08-07-2008, 02:29 PM

710 posts, read 2,233,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNRyan23 View Post
I've noticed that current Florida residents like to say to themselves and others that most of the problems today, high insurance costs, high rent costs, crime, poor economy, ect, ect, ect exist in other states too.

Yes, those things are in almost every other state, HOWEVER... they are nowhere near the scale that they are in Florida.

Even California pays higher wages then Florida.
Yes, but add 8% state income tax and highere prices for EVERYTHING except homeowners insurance and Prop taxes.

Old 08-07-2008, 03:41 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,511,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwarky View Post
Native Floridians and Transplants, do you consider Florida a good or great place for a vacation or to visit, yet a bad place to live year-round?
Neither. Just not my cup of tea.

When I was in college, PBC was the place to go & get drunk on spring break. So, in college it was considered a great place to vacation. Due to dh's job circumstances, we had to move to SWFL. It was interesting, to say the least.

Glad I had the experience to both vacation & live there b/c it made me even more appreciative & blessed for where we are now.

Also, cheaper doesn't always mean better I'm more than glad to pay more for what I consider a healthier, happier & more productive lifestyle so cost is not a factor for me.

But, my opinon is just that and we all have 'em!

Old 08-07-2008, 03:55 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,159,933 times
Is very difficult to blame what we can't control, such as hot days, humidity, rain, hurricanes, etc. If a location does not provides what I need, I will move to a location that can support my needs and interest.

For 11 years I have enjoyed and worked in the state and can't complaint about the enjoyment and work because I decided to stay here, Best decision ever.

I have experienced the same humidity in North Dakota and the rains in Ogden Utah, the tornadoes and floods in San Antonio TX, and Hurricane Andrews @ Homestead.

Every location has positive and negative attributes, but is up to the individual to either adapt or leave. I adapted and will retire for a 2nd time at age 54 (6 years from today). We are planning on staying here for the rest of our life.

Old 08-07-2008, 04:50 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,457,397 times
As a native Floridian, Florida is great to visit but not a great place to live. Depending on what part of the state you live in it can be summer all year round almost. We had 313 days in 2007 in the 80s and 90s. Thats almost all year. I would love to live in a place that I could go outside for 2/3 of the year at least with out it being hot and humid.

Old 08-07-2008, 07:21 PM

541 posts, read 1,995,115 times
It is an OK place to live but not great. Some areas are nicer than others. I do not see nearly the amount of complaining on the other state forums as on the Florida one. Most seem pretty happy where they are. It has been a real struggle since we moved here. I think a lot of the happy ones are retired and do not worry about jobs so much. Although my retired parents moved here with plenty of money and do not like Florida at all. They make the best of it and try to have fun.

We have found that there is a lot to do, we have plenty of friends and it is nice in the winter. The skies are beautiful. On the downside it is very expensive, homes are built like crap, drivers are awful, the sprawl is horrible, very transient, bad crime, bad pay, very few career type jobs-all service, very little culture, no public transportation, and the weather in the summer is disgusting.

We will enjoy our time here but we will not be staying forever. We make the best of it.

Old 08-07-2008, 07:24 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,901,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvthatmouse View Post
homes are built like crap,
This is VERY dependent on what part of the state you are in. A lot of areas and SW and SE Florida have a very strong building code that doesn't allow wood frame, shingle roof, etc. On the other hand, they keep on building those cracker jack boxes in Orlando.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida