Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Florida a good place to visit, but a bad place to live?
Yes! 296 52.02%
No. 273 47.98%
Voters: 569. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 01:06 AM

11,486 posts, read 15,300,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkagy View Post
Florida is a great place to live, and as someone who's born and raised in Florida, I really like it. Go Florida!

Thank you!

The ones who do not like it I hope leave soon to make room for some new blood of people who can make it in Florida!

I think it is a very good place to visit and I have leaving it, but I truly believe it will be a great place to live and enjoy life.

Old 05-24-2009, 12:24 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,495,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vannya View Post
I have been in Florida for over 5 months and have NOT been able to land a job. I have 2.5 college degrees: Masters, Graduate Certificate, and Bachelors. Customer Service wouldn't hire me, retail wouldn't hire me...I have tried banks for teller positions, entry-level mortgage loan associates, marketing manager, telemarketing-you name it. Mind you, I had my resume reworded and made pointed towards specific positions by one of the local job placement agencies.

What about those soft skills like great interpersonal communicator, researcher, writer that are all documented on my resume? I see people working every day. I wasn't born yesterday. If I hadn't applied to over 300 jobs or so and hadn't attended online and onsite job fairs - and started going to school online for new knowledge- Child Care-then I wouldn't be venting. But give me a break. Florida needs help from the Almighty. The good Lord is the only one that can pray for these people and turn things around.
My gf is in same situation as you, I found a job, but...we are leaving, that job isn't really worth keeping, horribly low wage for what it is and no benefits, have to pull weekends.... She already has a job lined up in California of all places. She wasn't able to get ANY job... from degree specific to working at subway.

psouth, horribly, that is true. Only reason I got mine being overqualified is because I am working weird hours and they knew I was taking grad classes as a NDS student, that didn't really come to fruition and I am going to go somewhere else now. My resume is better than everybody I work with even my boss, he is trying to finish his degree.

They are more than happy to have me, especially because of the low wage, unfortunately I will be leaving for them, and good for me. But I put in a good 3 months of quality work for them, so while sad to see me leave, I am sure they understand.

There are plenty of more bad things here, the good thing is my family is in the area...but, that really isn't enough to keep me, I'll never get anywhere or make anything out of myself if I stay in FL. I left before after finishing school after trying to be close to family, didn't work then, didn't work now... I've had it up to here with FL and don't really plan on coming back unless I am forced to, I'll pay for my parents plane tickets to come visit me.

Last edited by grapico; 05-24-2009 at 12:32 PM..

Old 05-24-2009, 12:33 PM

569 posts, read 1,668,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
My gf is in same situation as you, I found a job, but...we are leaving, that job isn't really worth keeping, horribly low wage for what it is and no benefits.... She already has a job lined up in California of all places. She wasn't able to get ANY job... from degree specific to working at subway.
Look at the California threads. People are much happier even as bad as things are there right now. California is still the 7th largest economy in the world and has ions opportunity compared to Florida. California has lots of high paying industry and jobs in all areas unlike low paying retail and tourism in Florida. The thing really hurting California right now is all the free benefits to illegals costing $billions. I am afraid Florida won't be far behind in that category soon though. Florida is quickly becoming a nanny state as well.

Congrats on the good job offer and good luck in the Golden State.

Old 05-24-2009, 12:36 PM

Once again it all comes down to jobs, jobs, jobs. California is mega progressive while Florida is anti progressive in that respect. If you don't have a good job in Florida then it is best just to visit.

Old 05-24-2009, 12:41 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,495,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psouth View Post
Once again it all comes down to jobs, jobs, jobs. California is mega progressive while Florida is anti progressive in that respect. If you don't have a good job in Florida then it is best just to visit.
yup yup, florida is a bad place for even moderately educated people, especially younger people w/o decades of experience, especially in the arts, sciences, tech and corporate business world too. They aren't valued, never have been.

Old 05-24-2009, 12:55 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,653,377 times
When we sell and move away, I am willing to bet it will be a snowbird who replaces us. It's just the nature of NAPLES.

Old 05-24-2009, 12:56 PM

Quote:
yup yup, florida is a bad place for even moderately educated people, especially younger people w/o decades of experience, especially in the arts, sciences, tech and corporate business world too. They aren't valued, never have been.
Yes and the problem with dumbing your resume and yourself down to land a job in Florida with no benefits and low pay is you will most likely be stuck in that dead-end job for years to come. It has always been this way and always will be until Florida stops catering only to retirees and illegals but instead to high paying industry and the working class. It will take a miracle.

Old 05-24-2009, 01:06 PM

561 posts, read 1,922,421 times
Quote:
Agreed.

Old 05-24-2009, 02:06 PM

158 posts, read 158,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
Thank you!

The ones who do not like it I hope leave soon to make room for some new blood of people who can make it in Florida!

I think it is a very good place to visit and I have leaving it, but I truly believe it will be a great place to live and enjoy life.
What do you mean "people who can make it in Florida?" A lot of people move for better opportunities (such as career, lifestyle change, scenery change, quality of life change, etc...). I used to live in Asheville NC and I'd take it in a second over Orlando. In a second!

It doesnt mean I couldnt hack it in FL, or couldnt make it in FL, I just prefer hills and trees vs flat ground and concete. I prefer friendly English speaking folks over the rude and crude that FL so often attracts. I probably hear Spanish as much as I do English where I live in Orlando.

Old 05-24-2009, 02:23 PM

1,377 posts, read 4,210,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Octagon View Post
What do you mean "people who can make it in Florida?" A lot of people move for better opportunities (such as career, lifestyle change, scenery change, quality of life change, etc...). I used to live in Asheville NC and I'd take it in a second over Orlando. In a second!

It doesnt mean I couldnt hack it in FL, or couldnt make it in FL, I just prefer hills and trees vs flat ground and concete. I prefer friendly English speaking folks over the rude and crude that FL so often attracts. I probably hear Spanish as much as I do English where I live in Orlando.
Yes, I don't even feel like I'm in America living in Orlando. Its getting ridiculous here. It also amazes me how companies will hire someone who barely knows English and don't care about the quality of customer service. They don't even WANT to learn English. Very shameful, and they also are rude and discourteous in the stores, like not moving to let you by or just acting foolish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida