Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Florida a good place to visit, but a bad place to live?
Yes! 296 52.02%
No. 273 47.98%
Voters: 569. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 10:32 AM

2,414 posts, read 5,400,375 times

Advertisements

Key West and downtown St. Pete are the two that come to mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post
I've actually wondered what the most "walkable" city in FL is....because it's certainly not Miami.

Old 05-25-2009, 10:37 AM

2,266 posts, read 2,293,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoRE_Miracle View Post
Key West and downtown St. Pete are the two that come to mind
In all the years of living here, I have not ventured down to Key West yet.

Old 05-25-2009, 10:43 AM

Very touristy, but it's worth going to see. Beautiful drive down the highway, interesting places and restaurants to stop along the way. Park your car in a garage immediately because you won't need it at all while you're there. Be careful, if you like to drink a lot, you may end up never leaving.

Quote:
In all the years of living here, I have not ventured down to Key West yet.

Old 05-25-2009, 10:53 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,898,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Octagon View Post
worse than the heat and humidity,
Native Floridian, lol.

Old 05-25-2009, 11:07 AM

569 posts, read 1,669,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
Native Floridian, lol.
I think what the good doctor is saying is that at least the oppressive heat and humidity will not be rude to you, cuss you out, shoot you, stab you, drive you off the road, rob you, lie to you, or try to push a Florida Ponzi scheme off on you. Yes the heat and humidity is always 110% trustworthy. It will always be there just like the sun rises every morning. It is every Floridian's friend or foe.

Old 05-25-2009, 11:42 AM

2,266 posts, read 2,293,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psouth View Post
I think what the good doctor is saying is that at least the oppressive heat and humidity will not be rude to you, cuss you out, shoot you, stab you, drive you off the road, rob you, lie to you, or try to push a Florida Ponzi scheme off on you. Yes the heat and humidity is always 110% trustworthy. It will always be there just like the sun rises every morning. It is every Floridian's friend or foe.
If you're on the beach and enjoying the ocean, the heat and humidity is hardly going to bother you, in fact, you'll appreciate it. Personally, I find it oppressive at times, especially if I want to walk anywhere, or if I'm outside working on something. Our climate is in no way one of the worst climates to be found in the US though and for 3-4 months of the year (December through March), it's often perfect, since it's cooler at night and during the day, the temperature is usually in the upper 70's/low 80's with relatively low humidity.

Old 05-25-2009, 01:20 PM

158 posts, read 158,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psouth View Post
Exactly, I can stand the heat and humidity (but even as a native Floridian) I dont like it when it's oppressive. But, I could stand it better if not for some of the big issues (like highlighted above) places like S FL and Orlando have.

Old 05-25-2009, 05:17 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,658,081 times
Last July when I went to the beach in Naples the air temp was 95 degrees. The water temp was 89 degrees. Refreshing? I think a cold shower at home would be more so.

Old 05-25-2009, 05:21 PM

Is Naples a highly walkable city? I've never been down there.

Old 05-25-2009, 05:30 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
Quote:
When I started truly living here, working, commuting and interacting with people here, I quickly began to hate the place.

Firstly, many northerners envy FL for the weather, but the weather really isn't that great. For 9 months of the year, the humidity is unbearable and there's little respite from the sticky, oppressive heat that forces you to have your AC on 24/7. I was in Boston a few days ago where it was actually hotter than here in Miami (93 degrees), yet the heat in Boston was 100 times less oppressive than 80 degree heat in Miami (I could even go out and do things, walk around and have fun without feeling like I stepped into a sauna).

Also, having just got back from a real city and a truly beautiful state (Boston, Massachusetts), Miami and Florida in general seem even more soulless than they did before. There's no character here, no old buildings, little diversity in architecture, strip malls, gas stations, fast food restaurants, condos and cookie cutter homes on every corner. Miami is basically one big, ugly suburb and a huge grid system city, just like Los Angeles. There are also probably more fast food chains in South Miami than there are in the entire state of MA.

The worst part; the people. It is very difficult to make friends in a place like this, where so many people are pretentious, rude, self-serving and narcissistic beyond belief. It is hard to strike up a normal conversation with anyone here and many people don't even speak English. Culturally, South Florida is completely different to the northeast, or to any other part of the United States. People here tend to be very rude too and most lack respect and common courtesy. South Florida itself has become a haven for immigrants from South/Central America, many of whom have decided to turn this place into the places they left behind, rather than assimilate.

The drivers here are terrible too...horribly reckless, stupid and macho (bad mix). People say that drivers are as bad in Boston, yet I drove through Boston during rush hour on Friday and while I saw quite a few examples of aggressive/big city driving, it wasn't remotely as intimidating as driving on an expressway in Miami. What also shocked me in MA was that drivers were actually courteous and would even stop to allow you to make a left hand turn, even if it was their right of way. That happened to me many times in MA, but it has never happened in Miami.

There is simply nothing for us to do here. In MA, people walked, jogged, cycled and were out at all times of the day/night. South Florida is so car-centric that you rarely see this. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that if you're not a sun/beach/club person, you will find this place very boring.

As soon as the economy picks up and we have a bit more saved, we're out of here.....Florida is not for us.
Key parts in bold...

very true, nothing we'd want to do, we sit around...
friends here? non existent, have tried, most people are rednecks or douchebags... and it isn't me and my gf, we have plenty of friends elsewhere. (something in the water?)

sun/beach/party ...and i'd add mud/fish here, but there are a lot of so fla people here too for university... drop the latinos, insert rednecks...you just described it here.

but Yeah I was partially raised here, it was only when I started living here, not being a student in my little school cliques (who all my friends there left), not being in my parents house, not going to the beach or being able to actually wear shorts and no shirt all the time... doing stuff not involved with school...that I started to see the true reality of FL and grew to hate it. I left after college and lived abroad, and lived in a real city (Chicago) It is even worse being back this time around. I'm out in less than a month, I hope you get out soon. I honestly don't even want to visit here again, I'll pay for my mom and dad to come out to SF (another real city), or wherever I am at even later in life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida