Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Florida a good place to visit, but a bad place to live?
Yes! 296 52.02%
No. 273 47.98%
Voters: 569. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 10:00 AM

2,414 posts, read 5,400,759 times

Advertisements

I've found some people try to claim that everything down there is awful, except for the wealthy area. The people I know (in person, not on this forum), enjoy it down there and don't carry on about crime when I speak to them. I'd be a lot more about a burglary in some of these areas than personally being a victim of violent crime. As you said, common sense, etc. and what you're up to goes a long way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Riviera Beach is bad. Like Camden with Palm Trees. It's southern border "bleeds" into WPB's northern border. If I had my way, I'd cede northern WPB to Riviera Beach. WPB's crime stats would drop like a rock, lol.

Of course, even in Riviera Beach (which technically includes parts of Singer Island, which is actually a very nice area), "what you're doing," "who you are," and "who you are with" can go a long way in determining your victimization possibility.

Last edited by stars99; 05-31-2009 at 10:15 AM..

Old 05-31-2009, 01:46 PM

1,304 posts, read 3,035,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
No. Once you get a "macro" of the crime situation in a particular area, there is and will be yet another layer to the "crime ranking" statistics, which is MUCH easier ascertained by OTHER OBJECTIVE FACTS than asking people how safe they FEEL in West Palm Beach:

For example,

Do you know that the vast vast majority of murders in West Palm Beach are young black men killing other young black men in a part of town that I ASSURE you, you and/or your family would NEVER live in?

Do you know that a vast vast majority of murders in West Palm Beach are "acquaintence/family" related, and or drug and gang related?

Do you know that "Hispanic" migrant workers are more likely to be targeted for robbery because they are known to carry large sums of cash around?

THOSE are OBJECTIVE statistics.

See above. There are additional OBJECTIVE facts that will allow you to TRULY gauge your personal crime victimization possibility.

If I tell you, "I live in West Palm Beach and have never been a victim of crime, so you should ignore the statistics," then THAT is a subjective opinion that may not jive with the overall threat, depending on YOUR personal situation. It actually does not help ANYONE because I don't know a damn thing about you, your age, race, whether or not you'll be trolling the ghetto for drugs at 3AM, whether or not you can only afford to live in Section 8 housing, etc.

Even if someone asks, "Do you FEEL safe in West Palm Beach" I can personally answer by saying, "I feel safe in West Palm Beach." NORMALLY, I will tell people, "Don't move to the northside of town unless it's one or two particular neighborhoods" but if five people say, "I feel safe" and five more say, "I don't feel safe..." what good has that done?

My mother lives 40 minutes or so North of West Palm Beach, in a city that has moved up and down the "safest city in America" list for years and years (at one time a couple years back it TOPPED the "safest city in America" list. SHE, however, has had her house burglarized, while I have never (knock on wood). If she came on her ranting about how bad crime is in Port St. Lucie because she got her house broken into, and I came on here talking about how it's peaches and cream because I've never had my house broken into, isn't it a BAD THING if people walk away from the forum thinking WPB is safer than PSL?

Now, if someone asks, "What is it like for interracial couples in X area," then THAT is something that "personal experience," particularly from people in interracial couplings, can give "personal opinions" on, since it measures SUBJECTIVE.
The point of my post(s) was to embrace the same level of caution when reviewing the statistics that are often bandied about, as opinions that are generated by personal experiences. Because a number has been attached, or a certain place on someone's list assessed, biases still exist. Even your "objective statistics" on this thread suggest a level of bias and subjectivity, because any interpretation of data is a derived opinion, based upon those facts.

There is much to be learned from those who post from personal experience, even though sometimes the personal component translates into frequent generalities. This a forum where much can be learned.

Old 05-31-2009, 09:18 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,891,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Octagon View Post
TNRyan doesnt live in FL anymore, although he did.
For 20 years, I'm sure the way things are done hasn't changed.

The scenery may have changed and the everglades may be built up but Florida is Florida.

It doesn't just change.

Old 07-01-2009, 05:47 PM

5 posts, read 12,616 times
My husband and I want to move to FL after he retires. I did some research on Tampa, north of Tampa, and St Peterburg. I found out that housings aren't cheap, property tax is high, and crimes rates are not any better than CA, and "sink holes" zones. This is a first time I hear about this type of natural disaster. Although, my husband and I still like the idea of tropical climate of FL, and a nice mixtures of peoples. We have son and we want move to a place does not have gang problem, reasonable housing, and no..."sink holes"!
I hope I don't sound like a snob! I just want a nicer place to raise my son and my husband can have a peaceful retirement. we are both in our fourtyish, so we don't mind to hang out with some old folks but we also like people our ages too.

Old 07-02-2009, 07:01 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,399,972 times
The West Coast of FLorida seems to have more sink hole issues than the East Coast. If you're looking for good retirement areas, look into the Treasure Coast - Stuart, Jensen Beach, etc.

Home prices ARE tracking at about year 1999 - 2000 levels. Property tax is roughly 2% of value.

Old 07-04-2009, 12:14 PM

157 posts, read 397,977 times
I've always enjoyed living here. In my experience, the people who don't like Florida generally don't belong in any big state, because things such as diversity, immigration, and traffic drive them insane. And I really question the mental stability of people who move here but don't like hot weather...

Old 07-04-2009, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizforum View Post
my vote = terrible place to live
Another insightful post by bizforum.

Old 07-04-2009, 03:13 PM

157 posts, read 397,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoRE_Miracle View Post
I've found some people try to claim that everything down there is awful, except for the wealthy area. The people I know (in person, not on this forum), enjoy it down there and don't carry on about crime when I speak to them. I'd be a lot more about a burglary in some of these areas than personally being a victim of violent crime. As you said, common sense, etc. and what you're up to goes a long way.
A friend recommended that I read some of the posts on this site and join, and I couldn't agree more. Apparently, all of the Floridians on this board live in Goulds, Liberty City, and Riviera Beach. You would think that the entire state was some sort of warzone just by reviewing posts here. For many of us - I dare say the vast majority of us - crime is no more of an issue here than anywhere else. Act with some common sense, avoid certain areas, and you'll be fine. I've lived in Florida for a long time - and not in a super-exclusive area - and I've never been the victim of any type of violent or property crime.

Old 07-04-2009, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loillon892 View Post
And I really question the mental stability of people who move here but don't like hot weather...
At best they show a serious lack of judgment. In extreme cases the "Ignore" feature comes in very handy (I didn't realize we could do that until a couple of weeks ago).

Old 07-12-2009, 06:45 AM

80 posts, read 270,655 times
I grew up in FL and moved to Raleigh, NC 13 yrs ago. When I lived there it was okay, I didn't have many complaints except for South FL was not the ideal place to raise the kids and parts of Orlando where I grew up have gone way down hill. When you compare taxes and things like that, it probably all works out in the end...FL has homestead exemption, but higher property taxes, NC has State taxes. Wages are higher in NC and I don't think our prices on gas and groceries are much different then FL--my mom and I always compare.
NC is growing, especially where I live, but we are keeping up with roads, unlike Orlando's I-4 & some areas in other parts of the state. Schools are better even though they are getting crowded (we are moving more Elementary's & Middle Schools to year round). I chose private schools in South FL, there was no way I would put my kids in those schools.
Weather is great in NC, snow is rare and when it happens it melts in a day, no shoveling, a day off from school/work and everyone gets to play in it. Change of seasons is nice and the heat is by far more tolerable then the FL heat on most days...at least the season is shorter. I can also get to the mountains in 3 hours and the beach in 2 hours, so that's ideal too.
What do I miss about FL, family & friends and that's about it.
I'd be happy to chat with anyone who is considering a move to Raleigh, it was the best decision I ever made! Nothing against FL, I know some love it, but I'm one that has seen something more appealing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida