Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Florida a good place to visit, but a bad place to live?
Yes! 296 52.02%
No. 273 47.98%
Voters: 569. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 04:01 PM

335 posts, read 938,778 times

Advertisements

But still, I've considered $575 for 6 months not too bad. My car is also in pristine condition due to garaging and lack of salt

Old 03-27-2010, 06:08 PM

76 posts, read 242,434 times
Thumbs down Be careful what you wish for

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwarky View Post
Native Floridians and Transplants, do you consider Florida a good or great place for a vacation or to visit, yet a bad place to live year-round?
We moved here a few years ago from up north. Having lived in larger metropolitan areas and smaller suburbs, thought Orlando would be a good fit. How wrong we were! The people here are not friendly, especially if you have an opinion different from the AG's (Assemby of God) or Baptists. Orange County has the highest child abuse rate in the state I believe, or at least close to Miami. They have to send kids home from school on weekends with backpacks of food they can open themselves as parents are too dumb? or lazy? or poor? (lots of money for beer, tattoos etc though) to take care of the little ones. Schools are not that great; son is in honors classes at HS & even those teachers don't bother to post grades for 2 or more weeks at times. He's thinking about going to a math & science academy after sophmore yr or grad. after jr. yr. Drug, alcohol problems are rampant in HS here, but they try to cover it up.

They are about 5-6 years behind the rest of the country in everything-from recycling, health care, transportation-only public transit is buses & they don't go to all areas. Again, we are ready to leave; love the northeast & hope to get out of here to move closer. Lucky we are professionals who have options. Many people here aren't as lucky.

Old 03-27-2010, 06:55 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,244,284 times
Thanks for your honesty. Good luck with your move.

Old 03-28-2010, 08:20 AM

33 posts, read 149,151 times
I love Florida.
Always Have, I wish I lived in a beachier community, that is why I am loooking around..Love my lot and home, will never live on the water again.
Every area has its ups and downs. It is all what you want out of life. If your an inside person it really doesnt matter...We are total outside people, yard, boating, my business...

Old 03-28-2010, 08:24 AM

44 posts, read 54,643 times
As a native, I love Florida. I grew up in the panhandle. In Florida we have Disney, great beaches and resorts, the everglades, and great weather.

Of course we have our drawbacks but hey can't have it all.

Old 03-28-2010, 08:27 AM

2,727 posts, read 6,150,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny O. View Post
It is all what you want out of life. If your an inside person it really doesnt matter.....

I agree. That's one thing I dislike about where I live. I hate being indoors, but really have no choice when it's cold. I'm a warm weather person and would rather be outside.

Old 03-28-2010, 09:02 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,448,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTGirlNoMore View Post
I agree. That's one thing I dislike about where I live. I hate being indoors, but really have no choice when it's cold. I'm a warm weather person and would rather be outside.
This is the biggest misconception, Florida really isn't that enjoyable outdoors all year long. From about November through Mid May (this can be shorter some years) we have the best outdoor weather in the country IMO. Mid-May through October many Floridians will be indoors to get away from the heat and humidity. So we spend lots of time indoors like northeners just a different time of the year.

Old 03-28-2010, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
This is the biggest misconception, Florida really isn't that enjoyable outdoors all year long. From about November through Mid May (this can be shorter some years) we have the best outdoor weather in the country IMO. Mid-May through October many Floridians will be indoors to get away from the heat and humidity. So we spend lots of time indoors like northeners just a different time of the year.

Actually, I've been mostly in June-August and I love being outdoors there at that time. I get too cold too easily.

Old 03-28-2010, 09:17 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,448,766 times
^^^Obviously there are people people that like the summer heat and humidity, but there are many people that live here year round that do not like it in the summer months. I will be starting my hibernation in a few weeks. Going to enjoy the last few weeks of good weather.

Old 03-28-2010, 09:22 AM

Agreed. Just like people here LOVE the cold and are out in it while *I* hibernate. LOL. I know someone who will wear shorts and a t-shirt when it's 40 degrees out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida