Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Florida a good place to visit, but a bad place to live?
Yes! 296 52.02%
No. 273 47.98%
Voters: 569. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 06:49 AM

1,512 posts, read 8,167,111 times

Advertisements

Native Floridians and Transplants, do you consider Florida a good or great place for a vacation or to visit, yet a bad place to live year-round?

Old 08-07-2008, 06:55 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,366,552 times
It's a tremendous place to live year round. It just takes some time to grow into. It's been three years for us, coming from Massachusetts, and finally this is home. We love it! If I can say this in August then imagine January and February.

Old 08-07-2008, 06:55 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,587,345 times
I hear a lot of complaints but why is it growing by leaps and bounds? There are things I really hate here and things I really love here. Isn't that true of most anywhere you want to go? The only opinion that will ever really count is not mine but those that choose to live here and pay the taxes that keep FL afloat. While FL is a living paradise for some and it can be and is a living hell for others. It's a personal thing that can't be decided by an election. I don't know how else to explain it.

Old 08-07-2008, 06:56 AM

1,100 posts, read 3,011,955 times
As New York transplants, my husband & I have been living in S. Florida for almost 12 years. Our children were born here and are being raised here. I think Florida is definetly a great place to vacation/visit. But it's also a great place to raise a family! What's so bad about year round sunshine and never running out of things to do with the kids? I think S. Florida is very kid friendly and I am thrilled not to have to deal with snow/ice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwarky View Post
Native Floridians and Transplants, do you consider Florida a good or great place for a vacation or to visit, yet a bad place to live year-round?

Old 08-07-2008, 07:26 AM

17 posts, read 137,298 times
I have family down there and they seem to enjoy it and don't want to come back north (except for my mother for summer months). No snow, and they would even turn down higher pay job opportunity from cold states. Why spend most of you life in miserable winters up north and wait till you retire to move to florida? By then you may not get the chance.

I am relocating to florida right now, my sis tells me it take about 3 yrs to adjust to florida heat, she's been there for 17yrs now and no plans to move back north. Yr round activities are one plus I like about the state, not seasonal.

Old 08-07-2008, 07:46 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,399,972 times
I think ideally I would like the snowbird lifestyle.... but if I never get to do that, I'm more than happy to live here.

Sure it's a bit weirder and hotter than most places.... but Florida, like the US, is a big state with an infinite different ways to live. It's problems can be found in many/most other states as well.

Old 08-07-2008, 07:46 AM

4,678 posts, read 9,891,120 times
As a native Floridian, Florida is the worst place I've lived. I was glad to leave.

People always talk about how great the weather is, If you like 100 degrees and 90-100% humidity then it's the place for you.

If you like violent thunderstorms EVERY day during the spring, summer, and fall, it's the place for you.

If you like paying $1200 a month for rent and want to make $8 an hour IF you can find work, it's the place for you.

If you like paying thousands in homeowners insurance, auto insurance, and property taxes, it's the place for you.

If you like high crime, rude, and old people, it's the place for you.

That's just the start...

Old 08-07-2008, 07:49 AM

4,678 posts, read 9,891,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
It's problems can be found in many/most other states as well.
I've noticed that current Florida residents like to say to themselves and others that most of the problems today, high insurance costs, high rent costs, crime, poor economy, ect, ect, ect exist in other states too.

Yes, those things are in almost every other state, HOWEVER... they are nowhere near the scale that they are in Florida.

Even California pays higher wages then Florida.

Old 08-07-2008, 08:05 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,660,026 times
Default Florida isn't growing by leaps and bounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
I hear a lot of complaints but why is it growing by leaps and bounds? There are things I really hate here and things I really love here. Isn't that true of most anywhere you want to go? The only opinion that will ever really count is not mine but those that choose to live here and pay the taxes that keep FL afloat. While FL is a living paradise for some and it can be and is a living hell for others. It's a personal thing that can't be decided by an election. I don't know how else to explain it.
North Carolina IS. For as many people who come to Florida, as many LEAVE.

Old 08-07-2008, 08:05 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNRyan23 View Post
I've noticed that current Florida residents like to say to themselves and others that most of the problems today, high insurance costs, high rent costs, crime, poor economy, ect, ect, ect exist in other states too.

Yes, those things are in almost every other state, HOWEVER... they are nowhere near the scale that they are in Florida.

Even California pays higher wages then Florida.
Guess, what - go look on those forums where wages are supposedly "higher" - the residents admit they are but a starter home costs a mil or more! And gas, and everything else costs more in California.

Anyhow, I'm a native, my husband was born in the midwest, grew up in Belgium and has traveled all over the world and there is no place he would rather live than right here. Not saying everything is perfect here because it's not, it's not perfect anywhere. But for overall quality of life, for us it can't be beat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida