Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 09:14 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,767,798 times

Advertisements

I agree with the comment on the old neighborhoods part. People down here are pretty "keep to yourself". I may get a wave now and then, but it's really forced by some. The town I'm from up there people know eachother for the most part, they stop and talk to you at the post office, store... People seem not to want to be bothered with eachother here. Then worse, you end up like them, not wanting to socialize...

Kids can't even go out to play here, are you kidding me?!?!? My daughter want's nothing to do with going outside. She is allergic to fire ants, does not like heat, her face turns pink after 5 minutes outside and is right back inside... When she was up North last year, she would not come inside!!! Yes even when it was snowing like heck outside, that she loved... 9 year olds like to be outside, not stuck in the house. I am taking her camping the week after we move there in October.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
I to am hoping to leave Florida soon aswell. As a young professional I find that the lack of career opportunities, low wages, and lack of culture makes Florida the wrong place for me to live. I also have a daughter now and want her to experience childhood as I did growing up in the North East. I miss the strong sense of community and pride of my old neighborhoods.

Old 08-07-2008, 09:24 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,555,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoFLigo View Post
I agree with the comment on the old neighborhoods part. People down here are pretty "keep to yourself". I may get a wave now and then, but it's really forced by some. The town I'm from up there people know eachother for the most part, they stop and talk to you at the post office, store... People seem not to want to be bothered with eachother here. Then worse, you end up like them, not wanting to socialize...

Kids can't even go out to play here, are you kidding me?!?!? My daughter want's nothing to do with going outside. She is allergic to fire ants, does not like heat, her face turns pink after 5 minutes outside and is right back inside... When she was up North last year, she would not come inside!!! Yes even when it was snowing like heck outside, that she loved... 9 year olds like to be outside, not stuck in the house. I am taking her camping the week after we move there in October.
You are completely right, life is totally different for children in Florida. Drive through any neighborhood in my city (Orlando) in the summer and you will not see any children outside (you will see the occasional kid or two). Go to the North East in the summer and the streets are full of children playing and enjoying their summer vacations.

Old 08-07-2008, 09:30 PM

100% true... When I was a kid I was out ALL THE TIME!!! Cold, snow, sometimes rain....

I never see kids out at all around here, a few teen agers, usually skaters. But not my daughters age. She said last week she hated summer vacation, it's boring. Why? SHE IS STUCK INSIDE ALL THE TIME!! I bring her to the movies, mall, etc. But it's not the same. She will be happier next summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
You are completely right, life is totally different for children in Florida. Drive through any neighborhood in my city (Orlando) in the summer and you will not see any children outside (you will see the occasional kid or two). Go to the North East in the summer and the streets are full of children playing and enjoying their summer vacations.

Old 08-08-2008, 05:03 AM

561 posts, read 1,922,540 times
I agree with you both. I hadn't really stopped and thought about that aspect. It is so true though. Through all the seasons up north i was always outside doing somthing. Around my neighborhood down here as well as friends and families neighborhoods here, I don't see much of that at all. Where I am now, usually after 6:00pm I see some of the older kids outside riding their bikes or playing ball or somthing. Then they are inside after an hour or so. I mean, the whole day is toast!...Literally! No, thats no life I want for my children.

5 people I work with who are from Ohio and Michigan had to have surgery to remove skin cancer in the last 2 years. They have all been here for 6 years or less. More and more I see on the news about how bad the sun is lately. And last I saw on T.V., there was a report that all the sunscreen makers products were not living up to what was printed on the labels. ALL of them. If it's not one thing, it's another down here to worry about.

http://www.theherald.co.uk/news/news/display.var.2414859.0.Sun_warning_fewer_than_50_of _new_creams_offer_complete_protection.php (broken link) <--Sunscreen Article

Old 08-08-2008, 05:35 AM

305 posts, read 805,297 times
I want to go somewhere else, somewhere that I can make over $300 bucks a week, somewhere with a half-way decent job market for Information Technology and somewhere that will give a person who isn't extremely educated a chance to get something for himself.

I'm tired of the bull****, tired of these crappy jobs, tired of living at home, tired of just about everything. Tired of seeing apartments for $700 a month end up being 1 bedroom studios that was built back in the 60's that some people are trying to fix up and make money from. Tired of the lack of big companies, tired of the Hispanics and blacks (even though I'm black), tired of the ignorance, tired of the street culture, tired of the bad speech, (gon, who you be, who I is) etc, etc, etc....

Tired of sitting down here with my mother, tired of fighting with her, tired of her ignorance, tired of her excuses about family, tired of her running her ass to church to ask GOD to pay her bills then she getting another credit card, tired of the lack of support from family, tired of everything.

I just need a damn change. I'm tired of all the lies from these crappy agencies (Appleone), slave wages (13.50 for what I do in Florida vs. $16.00 for the same job in Texas).

Old 08-08-2008, 09:44 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,926,305 times
Summer vacation should be a time where kids are outside all day playing. I never had to worry about it being too hot as a kid growing up on Long island. I feel bad for the kids in Florida who can't go outside during their summer vacations since it's too hot.

Old 08-08-2008, 09:49 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,555,533 times
Does anyone here that is originally from the North remember back in the 80's and 90's all those commercial's on TV advertising land for sale in Florida and making it sound like a complete paradise here?lol. When in reality nobody wanted to buy their land and they figured since northerners had more money then they would buy. The best ones were the Cape Coral ones,lol.

Old 08-08-2008, 09:58 AM

3,283 posts, read 5,205,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoFLigo View Post
I think it's safe to say I can possibly start a thread for us negative people who just want to move away from Florida? Move to our home state, or another place we can be happy.

Post our positive outlooks on where we are headed? What things make us happy where we are going?

Why we are leaving Florida too.

i'd hazzard a guess here and say that you weren't happy in MA before you moved to FL? if that is the case perhaps it's time that you have a long hard think about what you want, what your priorities are and which place will offer you most of what you want.

Old 08-08-2008, 10:01 AM

100 posts, read 363,125 times
I don't plan on leaving Florida anytime soon, but if I were to move I'd look into South Carolina. Just had a friend move there and he loves it. Every time I visit the Charleston area I always have a memorable time.

If by some miracle the state of California would ease up on taxes and the lunacy of San Fran and LA would cease, I wouldn't mind moving to someplace on the coast of California.

Old 08-08-2008, 10:20 AM

I figured it out already. If you look back at my posts I told about how my mother in law was part of me coming back here, her arthritis was hurting her pretty badly, well she got down here the decided to move to New Jersey almost 2 months ago... Gee thanks! So when she did that I knew already I was going back up north, for the last time. I was not used to the cold there, yes true, but I made it to the end of February, and had 1 month to get out of winter. I really did enjoy a white Christmas, Thanksgiving, etc. I loved fall, it brought back memories from when I lived there until I was 25. I will get used to it all over again. I will never get used to this heat down here, after 14 years it's not going to happen.

All of my family is moving back there this time too, so that is another positive factor in me getting out of Florida for good. I really used to like it down here, but the last 4-5 years it has gotten to where I just don't like it here anymore.

My priorities are also getting paid more that $9.00 an hour. Getting my daughter where the schools are good, where she can go play outside, go camping, hiking, cross country skiing, biking... Things we can't/won't do here. Yes you can bike, but at the risk of some idiot killing you around here. Too hot to go biking for another reason. Hiking... Not in Florida. My idea of a hike is not on a flat, overgrown area with no hills. Camping, no way, way too hot for that. Maybe in Jan/Feb. It sucks just to go for a walk here, 1 mile and you are dying...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58robbo View Post
i'd hazzard a guess here and say that you weren't happy in MA before you moved to FL? if that is the case perhaps it's time that you have a long hard think about what you want, what your priorities are and which place will offer you most of what you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida