Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 10:20 AM

2,517 posts, read 11,051,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jillzilla View Post
I figure on paying for a mortgage.. and the basics.. electric, cable.. how much does insurance run in Florida? are there any other things I should know before buying a house (Port St. Lucie area)? Someone mentioned bugs, and pool costs.. I need to figure out how much its going to cost me.. thanks!
If you have a pool..add 50.00 to your montly electric and water bill.

For the typical house in South Florida, the average homeowners insurance is 2,300. Property tax is the killer. For a 250K house, expect property taxes of 6,000 a year.

It's hot down here...if you have an average 3/2 with about 2000 square feet, expect to pay 150.00 a month in electricty.

HOA's are the killler. AVOID THEM AT ALL COST IF POSSIBLE. Many people are foreclosing in nice neighborhoods, causing the existing homeowners to have to foot the loss. HOA fee's are increasing and you HAVE TO PAY or risk foreclosure. Some places that were charging 275/month are now up to 375/month in just 1 year and it's only going to get worse !

Good luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2008, 11:21 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,907,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredcoach View Post
Excellent and thorough post! I guess I am most surprised, but do Floridians cut their lawns more often during the very hot months of August and September?
My lawn guy cuts once a week in the rainy season and once every 10 days in the dry season. In the rainy season the grass grows fast so yes you need to cut your lawn more often during the rainy season.

Old 08-08-2008, 01:08 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,399,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heydade View Post
If you have a pool..add 50.00 to your montly electric and water bill.

For the typical house in South Florida, the average homeowners insurance is 2,300. Property tax is the killer. For a 250K house, expect property taxes of 6,000 a year.
I think your property tax estimates are too high. If you pay 250k for a house and homestead it, you'll typically be assessed at between 80%-100% of value, minus homestead. The general rule is to figure 2% of purchase price into your budget, but the reality is USUALLY a bit lower. Plus, these days it's worth it to challenge your tax bill every november at a value adjustment hearing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydade
It's hot down here...if you have an average 3/2 with about 2000 square feet, expect to pay 150.00 a month in electricty.
Sounds about right. I actually think $150/month for electric is not bad. Beats having to buy 500 gallons of heating oil for the winter at $4.00/gallon +!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydade
HOA's are the killler. AVOID THEM AT ALL COST IF POSSIBLE. Many people are foreclosing in nice neighborhoods, causing the existing homeowners to have to foot the loss. HOA fee's are increasing and you HAVE TO PAY or risk foreclosure. Some places that were charging 275/month are now up to 375/month in just 1 year and it's only going to get worse !

Good luck
It's a rare good thing to find good, maintained neighborhoods without an HOA! I was lucky enough to find one. (Well, technically we have a $30/YEAR VOLUNTARY HOA... so... )

Old 08-08-2008, 03:25 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,373,512 times
Insurance costs are across the board - in 2006 ours was almost $9000 for a 1978 home 2800 sq ft. We got the home inspected by a state authorized inspection agency and it came down to $2300. Trying to create a budget with that is difficult at best.

Exterminating service $40 every two months. Pool service - after many years and rip off artists we do it ourselves and it is really not a big deal. We take a sample of our water to Leslie's - they tell us what is needed and give us a report - done deal. We buy the chemicals and throw them in. Lawn maintenace is $30 a cut and worth every penny.

Our electric bill is high at around $380.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida