Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 10:15 AM

79 posts, read 295,607 times

Advertisements

I figure on paying for a mortgage.. and the basics.. electric, cable.. how much does insurance run in Florida? are there any other things I should know before buying a house (Port St. Lucie area)? Someone mentioned bugs, and pool costs.. I need to figure out how much its going to cost me.. thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2008, 11:01 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,668,212 times
There's been a big discussion about insurance costs here, if you use the search function and type in homeowner's insurance you'll get an idea of what it will cost you. The info on pool maintenance costs can be found the same way, but lots of people do their own pool maintenance to save money.

Old 08-07-2008, 12:23 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,389,796 times
I pay too much for weekly pool service in West Palm - $90/month.... but the neighbor across the street apparently pays $70/month, so I need to change ASAP (and in the future, learn how to do it myself).

Lawn service is typically $20-$25 cut, but if you get your own it will save a bundle.

Home owner's insurance will vary. If you buy a house with shutters or impact glass on every window, it will go down drastically after a wind mitigation inspection. It's well worth the investment if the home you have doesn't have either. Also, having an alarm system will lower your HOI rates, as will the type of roof you have on your house.

Old 08-07-2008, 12:24 PM

658 posts, read 830,328 times
Plan on $500 per year to treat against wood-destroying organisms in, under and around your home. Terminix, etc.

Old 08-07-2008, 03:32 PM

1,304 posts, read 3,034,064 times
Many communities in Florida will charge HOA fees which can become very expensive and restrictive.

Old 08-07-2008, 03:34 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,154,501 times
You also need to keep a few thousand $$ available for unforeseen emergencies. If you purchase a new home the warranty of the appliances and equipment will cover any failures, but after the warranty expires, is on you.

Also evaluate the cost of repairs and maintenance for pools, ponds, etc that you will be responsible. Planning and researching can give you a real view of the hidden cost of a house.

Old 08-07-2008, 04:37 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,529,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesandveybe View Post
Plan on $500 per year to treat against wood-destroying organisms in, under and around your home. Terminix, etc.
I have not found this to be correct, at least in my experience.
At my home in NY, I've spent nothing in this area. Good home construction helps to minimize this. I've no pest problems whatsoever.

In my home in Florida, I pay an annual $75.00 fee for the pest control company to inspect the house and continue the termite bond. He explained that years ago they treated the property around the house with something that last a VERY LONG TIME, and it just has to have a annual inspection to keep the bond in force. It must work....I have no evidence of pest problems.

As to pools, if you learn some pool care basics, pools are easy and inexpensive to care for.....I spend less then $100 per year on my pool, and it ALWAYS looks great.
Frank D.

Last edited by faithfulFrank; 08-07-2008 at 04:39 PM.. Reason: added pool stuff

Old 08-08-2008, 01:41 AM

9,356 posts, read 14,296,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jillzilla View Post
I figure on paying for a mortgage.. and the basics.. electric, cable.. how much does insurance run in Florida? are there any other things I should know before buying a house (Port St. Lucie area)? Someone mentioned bugs, and pool costs.. I need to figure out how much its going to cost me.. thanks!
First don't forget property taxes: as a rule of thumb, calculate 2% per year of the purchase price. If you declare full-time residency (homestead) you enjoy an around $40,000 exemption off the assessed value for property tax purposes and a 3% annual cap on the increase in assessed value.

Insurance rates can vary significantly depending on circumstances, but, very roughly, also 2% of purchase price, though this may come down as the 2004-2005 hurricanes fade into memory, but all bets are off if we are hit with another round.

As mentioned, you can invest to bring your house "up to code", including impact-resistant windows or hurricane shutters and garage doors, not to mention the roof. Depending on the size of the house, impact windows or hurricane shutters plus garage door can range from $15,000-$30,000, a new roof similar.

As also mentioned, do not forget to investigate if the house you buy is part of a home owners association (HOA), what the monthly fees are, and what the fee covers. In my experience, HOA fees can range from $60 per month up to $500 (if there is golf and other such activities).

In some counties, there are so-called CDC fees, I believe, or somesuch, which, I believe, are county assessments for roads and other infrastructure, but that seems to be more prevalent in northeast Florida. But don't neglect to find out about that.

As mentioned, pool cost can range from $25-$100 a month. In some cases, you can bring a sample of the pool water to a local store that will analyze it for you and prescribe the proper chemicals.

Pest control costs can start as low as $10-$15 a month for basic spraying, maybe you can learn to do it yourself, but dealing with the chemicals may require a license.

Lawn maintenance can start from around $60 a month. The number of times you need to cut the grass can increase in the hotter months.

As also mentioned, there is a good chance that you will encounter problems that require extraordinary maintenance, so you must also have cash reserves.

Finally, though the homestead exemption caps the annual increase in assessed value at 3%, there is no guarantee that local taxing authorities will not raise millage rates. To help reduce that risk, get involved in local politics and insist that local governments live within their means, just like all households, businesses, and government always do, as nature commands? Right?

I hope this covers just about everything in one post.

Good luck!

Old 08-08-2008, 07:05 AM

1,304 posts, read 3,034,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
First don't forget property taxes: as a rule of thumb, calculate 2% per year of the purchase price. If you declare full-time residency (homestead) you enjoy an around $40,000 exemption off the assessed value for property tax purposes and a 3% annual cap on the increase in assessed value.

Insurance rates can vary significantly depending on circumstances, but, very roughly, also 2% of purchase price, though this may come down as the 2004-2005 hurricanes fade into memory, but all bets are off if we are hit with another round.

As mentioned, you can invest to bring your house "up to code", including impact-resistant windows or hurricane shutters and garage doors, not to mention the roof. Depending on the size of the house, impact windows or hurricane shutters plus garage door can range from $15,000-$30,000, a new roof similar.

As also mentioned, do not forget to investigate if the house you buy is part of a home owners association (HOA), what the monthly fees are, and what the fee covers. In my experience, HOA fees can range from $60 per month up to $500 (if there is golf and other such activities).

In some counties, there are so-called CDC fees, I believe, or somesuch, which, I believe, are county assessments for roads and other infrastructure, but that seems to be more prevalent in northeast Florida. But don't neglect to find out about that.

As mentioned, pool cost can range from $25-$100 a month. In some cases, you can bring a sample of the pool water to a local store that will analyze it for you and prescribe the proper chemicals.

Pest control costs can start as low as $10-$15 a month for basic spraying, maybe you can learn to do it yourself, but dealing with the chemicals may require a license.

Lawn maintenance can start from around $60 a month. The number of times you need to cut the grass can increase in the hotter months.

As also mentioned, there is a good chance that you will encounter problems that require extraordinary maintenance, so you must also have cash reserves.

Finally, though the homestead exemption caps the annual increase in assessed value at 3%, there is no guarantee that local taxing authorities will not raise millage rates. To help reduce that risk, get involved in local politics and insist that local governments live within their means, just like all households, businesses, and government always do, as nature commands? Right?

I hope this covers just about everything in one post.

Good luck!
Excellent and thorough post! I guess I am most surprised, but do Floridians cut their lawns more often during the very hot months of August and September?

Old 08-08-2008, 07:59 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,554,653 times
I found that a good way to cut maintence costs on appliances (like refrigerator, A/C unit, etc.) is to purchase a service plan from Sears. I did that and have never had to worry about my appliances breaking down, they even come every year to give my A/C maintenance at no charge.

Sears
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida