Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 10:44 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,046,131 times

Advertisements

I know most/all other states envy our "winters" which dont exist, not in the sense that winters up north are. But what about us wishing it wasnt so hot in summer(and spring, fall!) We may have it better in the winter(unless you love snow and cold) but come summer, its hot and humid! Other states generally have nice, pleasent mild summers, I would know as ive visited several states in the summer. Nothing like going for a hike in 70 degree weather with the gentle sun massaging your back and the fresh breeze putting a smile on your face.

Lets compare FL's seasons vs. the seasons of a temperate state such as Ohio or the northeast.

Summers: 90-100 degrees and humid vs. 60-85 degrees, less humid.
Spring: 75-95 degrees and humid vs. 40-70 degrees.
Fall: similar to spring.
Winter: 50-85 degrees and still humid vs. 10-50 degrees.

How many people like the Florida summers? Most of us would be indoors all day with the a/c on "hi", sweating away the summers. I envy the cooler, pleasent summers you guys up north have!

Our springs and falls are almost as bad. You guys up north win again with pleasently cool crisp air that makes you feel alive! You get to see beautiful green spring colors or red fall colors! You can go without a/c and heat while we need a/c everyday because its hot!

Winters are the only time we may have it better. Thats when we finally get a reprieve from the heat. Actually our winters are normally quite warm to the point we need a/c still! This goes especially for those in south FL! The occasional "cold" front we get, we are mighty thankful for Your winters can sometimes get unpleasent with lots of ice/snow and chilling winds but make lemonade out of lemons, go make a snowman, have a snowball contest, build an ice castle, go have fun!

I know this is my opinion but 80% agree with this as my poll shows. Most of us prefer a temperate climate with four seasons as a such climate is preferable because the temperatures are much better than a tropical climate. 9 months of the year, their climate is better than ours in Florida!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2007, 05:49 AM

66 posts, read 281,266 times
I live in New Jersey and our summers are also 90 degrees and humid.

The only area of Florida that I felt was worse in the summer was Orlando.

The areas by the coasts feel very comfortable to me.

Air conditioners run here non stop all summer.

Anne

Old 01-27-2007, 06:06 AM

13,396 posts, read 44,884,157 times
Quote:
The occasional "cold" front we get, we are mighty thankful for Your winters can sometimes get unpleasent with lots of ice/snow and chilling winds but make lemonade out of lemons, go make a snowman, have a snowball contest, build an ice castle, go have fun
This is Not Fun:

And I am not jealous of Colorado summers, though I do appreciate them.
Their summer evenings are often cooler and very pleasant indeed. But that's basically June into late July, then the summer evenings are plenty warm if you lack AC, then it cools back off again in mid-August. Next, you start looking over your shoulder for the first freeze of the season--then the first snowfall, which this year was in September.
Every place is a trade-off.
Me, I like the beach.

Old 01-27-2007, 07:04 AM

2,141 posts, read 6,882,906 times
And I am not jealous of northern summers or winters ,

Old 01-27-2007, 10:12 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,319,868 times
Don't be jealous of northern summers. Many areas of the north can get pretty hot temp wise. We have several days that can get over 100 and our record, which was matched this summer, is 120. We have humidity here, but it's nothing like Florida's humidity.

Summer seems to bring us tornado problems, too along with microbursts and some pretty awful thunderstorms. Yet, I'd still take a thunderstorm over a snowstorm.

Old 01-27-2007, 10:35 AM

1,408 posts, read 5,081,899 times
I just looked on weather.com and found the following to compare Florida with Ohio in July:

Columbus, Ohio: Avg. High 86; Avg. low: 64; record high 102
Toledo, Ohio: Avg. High 87; Avg. low 64; record high 105

Orlando, FL: Avg. High 92; Avg. low 73; record high 100
Miami, FL : Avg. High 87; Avg. low 78; record high 98

So...cool summers in Ohio? Looks like a/c weather to me!

Old 01-27-2007, 03:22 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,325,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_TN_Nana View Post
I just looked on weather.com and found the following to compare Florida with Ohio in July:

Yes, It ends with needing the a/c, but I've also still needed to use my heat in May and June.
CLEVELAND, OH
Average High: 69 Record High: 92
Average Low: 48 Record Low: 25
Average Precipitation: 3.30 inches
Average Number of rain/snow days: 13

Having to use heat in the summer isn't great either.
Then there are the tornadoes and the rain to deal with--
June 2, 1990 -

66 tornadoes struck parts of the Midwest, the Ohio Valley, and the Great Lakes area with the majority of the tornadoes in the Ohio Valley. 7 of the tornadoes were rated F4 on the Fujita scale. Indiana was the hardest hit with 37 tornadoes and 8 deaths. This outbreak was the largest outbreak since the Superoutbreak of April 3-4, 1974.

June 14, 1990 -

4 inches of rain in about 75 minutes created a wall of water 10 to 30 feet high that devastated Shadyside, Ohio. 24 people were killed. One person reported ankle-deep water running down the side of a hill when he was seeking higher ground.

July 4, 1969

Severe thunderstorms produce winds to over 100 mph and very heavy rains across northern Ohio. From 4 to 15 inches of rain fell from late evening into the next morning producing major flash flooding. 41 were killed, 559 injures and damage exceeded $66 million

July 31, 1992

Flint MI ends their coolest July on record. Columbus, OH, Buffalo, NY and Williamsport, PA their wettest. Columbus had a record 29 cloudy days and 17 days with thunderstorms during the month

and just last year--http://www.weathernet5.com/weather/9409828/detail.html?rss=nn5&psp=news

Everybody has weather woes. We are not unique. No need for us to be jealous.

Old 01-27-2007, 03:53 PM

6,615 posts, read 16,490,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_TN_Nana View Post

You don't see a difference? Look at the lows! These stats show you can sleep with the windows open in Columbus and Toledo, but no way can you do that in Miami and Orlando! AC 24 hours/day in FL; perhaps 10-12 in OH! The reason the temps moderate between night and day in northern latitudes is because the humidity is lower.

Old 01-27-2007, 04:13 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,369,037 times
I will have to say, I am only jealous of the east coast of this countries weather. California, Oregan, and Washington State all have better weather than Florida. Of course not all parts of each of these states.

The South East, North East, Mid West, and South West all have something really horrible to deal with. May it be tornadoes, ice, extreme heat, snow, humidity, etc. But those three states have probably the ideal weather. Living in Miami, this is just my opinion.

Old 01-27-2007, 06:23 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,046,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
You don't see a difference? Look at the lows! These stats show you can sleep with the windows open in Columbus and Toledo, but no way can you do that in Miami and Orlando! AC 24 hours/day in FL; perhaps 10-12 in OH! The reason the temps moderate between night and day in northern latitudes is because the humidity is lower.

I second this. I also have personal experience being to several states and I can tell you right now you wont find a summer more hot, humid, sticky and miserable than Florida. Las Vegas, NV was even hotter but very dry so I wasnt as sweaty as my sweat evaporates well. Ive been to summer camp before in the northeast in NJ, east PA and MA and the summers never felt as hot as in Florida! The daily highs were 75 to 85, I remember it being 82 one particular day. The lows got cool enough at midnight that I buried myself in the blanket! Mornings were crisp and cool, ive seen days where I could see my breath! It did quickly warm up once the sun came out.

Listen carefully: The reason why high latitudes are cooler is because the sun's rays strike the ground at a slant or angle. Also the cold arctic air/front can make its way into the mid latitudes. I have seen snow in midsummer in Wyoming, it was a strange sight! There was an inch on the ground and more falling from the sky, we were on the tour bus. I wish the bus woulda stopped and we got off to play in the snow!

Global warming can cause what we call heat waves. We had one in Toronto, Canada and it got into the high 80s, the locals were really suffering and melting! Even I was hot and sweaty! Thankfully the heat wave didnt last more than a couple days. The next few days I was in Toronto the highs were around 75 which is more normal.

None of you have mentioned spring/fall, please read my first post and comment on that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida