Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2008, 03:27 AM

2 posts, read 6,438 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone

I'm interested in coming to Florida during the dry season (winter) cause I've heard that it's a good time to be in Florida. How true is this? Is the winter season as strong as the summer season?
Another thing is that I'm interested in working as a lifeguard at a swimming pool, but I'm not sure how realistic that is in the winter since I have no idea if people actually swim in Florida during the winter. I know you can get a lifeguard job fairly easily during the summer, but what's that like in the winter?
Is California better for this kind of work during the winter? Is it even possible?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2008, 05:45 AM

4,678 posts, read 9,892,011 times
Southern California is better for that line of work.

IMHO.

Old 08-11-2008, 05:51 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,563,055 times
If you want year-round work as a lifeguard, choose South Florida for it warm year-round beachs and resorts. Also Central Florida (Orlando) may be an option because of its numerous resorts that use lifeguards. But realistically don't expect to get paid much. I would start calling resorts in Miami/Ft. Lauderdale and Orlando and see what you come up with.

Old 08-11-2008, 05:57 AM

1,380 posts, read 5,928,993 times
There are life guards on the beaches here in south Florida, I don't know about the demand or the requirements for the jobs.

Old 08-11-2008, 06:25 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,661,046 times
I've never seen a lifeguard on any of the beaches in Naples.

Old 08-11-2008, 08:24 AM

2 posts, read 6,438 times
I got the basic idea, thanks for the info guys.
I'm not interested in the beaches though, I'm more interested in the pools at the resorts etc . I'm thinking, there's probably a law in Florida that says every pool there needs a lifeguard. So if the people (tourists) use the pools in the winter-time (dry season), then there must be a need for the lifeguards. That's what I'm thinking about basically.

Old 08-11-2008, 12:53 PM

1,781 posts, read 6,963,479 times
Anywhere from orlando south should be fine I see people at wet and wild in Orlando in the winter, south florida might be even better, Don`t know about California never been there.

Old 08-11-2008, 12:59 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNRyan23 View Post
Southern California is better for that line of work.

IMHO.
Have you ever been there? You can only barley swim there even in the summer. Winter is peak time for swimming in Florida from Orlando south thanks to all of the tourists. On my coast at some of the beaches there aren't even any lifeguards in the summer, only winter because the beaches flood with tourists.

Old 08-11-2008, 02:20 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,459,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seek View Post
I got the basic idea, thanks for the info guys.
I'm not interested in the beaches though, I'm more interested in the pools at the resorts etc . I'm thinking, there's probably a law in Florida that says every pool there needs a lifeguard. So if the people (tourists) use the pools in the winter-time (dry season), then there must be a need for the lifeguards. That's what I'm thinking about basically.
I have been to a few resorts in my life, and haven't seen life guards at resort/hotel pools. I have seen them at attractions like Rapids Water Park or the beaches. South Florida is the best bet for year round work on a Lifeguard Salary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: