Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 10:42 AM

21 posts, read 64,098 times

Advertisements

I want to add some of my own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2009, 06:50 PM

2,413 posts, read 5,722,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNRyan23 View Post
I was about to say, I lived in Tampa for 17 years and NEVER saw a coconut. Only once did I ever see a coconut on a palm tree and it was somewhere in the Keys.
Where have you been. I can name lots of places in Tampa where I see then. Especially in south tampa near the water. I even see healthy ones in Brandon away from the water. There rare but tampa has them, and they produce fruit too.

Old 05-28-2009, 06:30 PM

1,978 posts, read 4,388,533 times
Default In Florida, the grass actually IS greener! Literally!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
But there are also palms in California, Texas , Alabama, Misissippi, etc.
Miami and Fort Lauderdale have many of the same types of palms that we have here in San Diego CA, but in South Florida, they're ACTUALLY GREEN!

It takes heat, humidity, and lots of rain for these things to thrive. There just isn't any of that in San Diego(or indeed very little). Our vegetation in general tends to have a very dormant look, with dried out leaves and a general greyness. The palms out here look as if they're suffering and they wish they were in Miami!
One thing that blew my mind while I was in Miami, was the appearance of many of the Washingtonia Robusta palms which had (healthy looking) pale fluorescent lime green crowns with no brown edges! The color was amazing and I did not know whether to attribute it to the climate or the limestone soil composition!

Old 05-28-2009, 07:26 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,594,961 times
Come to Naples if you want to see palm trees. Every variety under the sun, even in the middle of the streets.

Old 05-28-2009, 07:38 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,838,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Fla View Post
Where have you been. I can name lots of places in Tampa where I see then. Especially in south tampa near the water. I even see healthy ones in Brandon away from the water. There rare but tampa has them, and they produce fruit too.
I lived in Brandon, Clair-Mel and Temple Terrace and never saw one. Kinda makes me sad to know they grow there and I never saw one..

Old 05-28-2009, 07:51 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,838,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by [COLOR=black
tallrick[/color];9029073]But there are also palms in California, Texas , Alabama, Misissippi, etc.
Whats really cool is when you can see this is Cali, TX, and AZ...

Old 05-28-2009, 08:28 PM

1,468 posts, read 4,727,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNRyan23 View Post
I lived in Brandon, Clair-Mel and Temple Terrace and never saw one. Kinda makes me sad to know they grow there and I never saw one..
There was a time not that long ago when there were no palm trees. I had 12 on my property and they all died and had to be removed. There were no palms for years.

Old 05-29-2009, 10:45 AM

1,310 posts, read 3,038,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilybeans View Post
There are lots of things that I could do without here, but palm trees are not one of them.

They just scream "tropics", don't they. At sunset they are gorgeous, on the beach with a shore breeze they are fabulous, even in storms when they blowing and bending, they look cool.

I love the Coconut palms, Sables, Royals, McArthurs, Traveller's, Dates and all the rest. They just look neat to me.

I like them in the early sunrise and I really enjoy seeing them all lit up during the holidays.

If I had to pick the one thing I would really miss from Florida, it would be the palms.
I TOTALLY agree with you. I love them so much that i bought 2 - 8' artifical Palms trees for my living room for the tropical ambience, plus I have palm tree shower curtains, palm tree walking shorts, a few palm tree short sleeve shirts, etc... I love the Tropical Island feel that Florida brings with it . Vastly different from the midwest where i came from.

Old 05-31-2009, 09:28 PM

530 posts, read 1,453,143 times
I love Palms also. I have seen a few coconut palms in Tampa. I have over 15 Queen palms in my yard, all which are doing very well despite this past winter in NE Florida. I love going to South Florida and seeing all the tropical palms.

Old 01-26-2022, 10:30 AM

5 posts, read 1,421 times
Anyone have any problems with their palms this year? I'm asking mostly about the colder North Florida zone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida