Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support this amendment?
Yes 14 31.82%
No 30 68.18%
Not Sure 0 0%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 06:00 PM

2,473 posts, read 5,452,072 times

Advertisements

[quote=TANaples;4821182]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle George View Post

It is main reason why widowed my mother-in-law never remarried. In fact, that Domestic Partnership Law in NJ doesn't just include gay couples, but also straight Seniors over the age of 62.

Since this state has a large number of seniors, this amendment could potentially affect them too, plus all the other reasons you gave. I know my niece covered her partner under her medical insurance when he was laid off. Corporations could use this as excuse to drop benefits for EVERYBODY who doesn't have a marriage certificate.

Incidentially, gay marriage has not been a "threat" to straight marriage in Ma. In fact, that state has one of the lowest divorce rates in the entire country.
EXACTLY!! That's why I posted...a lot of people don't know of all the ramifications if this bill passes!!! They think it's to "uphold the sanctity of marriage"!! (With the divorce rate & all the cheating going on, I really don't know how "sacred" marriage is even now!!)

I think of all the seniors here in Florida & how this could devestate them in a horrible economy where they're already stretched to their limits!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2008, 06:05 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,155,464 times
(With the divorce rate & all the cheating going on, I really don't know how "sacred" marriage is even now!!)

Should we bring back family values? or is it the lack off?

Old 08-11-2008, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrico90 View Post
(With the divorce rate & all the cheating going on, I really don't know how "sacred" marriage is even now!!)

Should we bring back family values? or is it the lack off?
What are "family values"?? Traditional marriage?? My dad cheated on my mom for years. My uncles ALL cheated on my aunts (and I had 7 of them)!!

I don't think "family values" are the traditional "marriage with 2.4 kids & 1.2 dogs in the house with the white picket fence". Family values are born out of love & not a piece of paper from the City Hall & Church. It's like having the Phd paper from college & working as a janitor...the papers worthless unless it's used towards what it was meant for. That comes from within & not from a document.

I think "family values" are an instilling of feelings of self-worth, appreciation of the diversity & the sacredness of EVERY human being no matter their race/sex/color/orientation, & love of self and others.

Even Jesus said "love one another as yourself" & "judge not lest ye be judged".

A marriage certificate does not create love...love creates a marriage certificate.

Is it a lack thereof or should they be "brought back"??? Were they ever here??

Old 08-11-2008, 06:39 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,654,155 times
Default You cannot legislate "family values" or morality

Quote:
What are "family values"?? Traditional marriage?? My dad cheated on my mom for years. My uncles ALL cheated on my aunts (and I had 7 of them)!!

I don't think "family values" are the traditional "marriage with 2.4 kids & 1.2 dogs in the house with the white picket fence". Family values are born out of love & not a piece of paper from the City Hall & Church. It's like having the Phd paper from college & working as a janitor...the papers worthless unless it's used towards what it was meant for. That comes from within & not from a document.

I think "family values" are an instilling of feelings of self-worth, appreciation of the diversity & the sacredness of EVERY human being no matter their race/sex/color/orientation, & love of self and others.

A marriage certificate does not create love...love creates a marriage certificate.

for one thing, it will never work. Remember Prohibition? Some people thought it was also a "sin" to drink. What happened? The law was totally ignored and made criminals out of ordinary people.

Pass laws throwing fornicators and adulterers in jail? lol Nobody would have the room in jails for that. Ditto for all the people commiting sodomy, gay or straight. Amendments to ban divorce? If people don't want to be married anymore, they will just walk out and leave, or worse, stay together and create more domestic violence and child abuse.

No, you cannot legislate ANY of these things.

Old 08-11-2008, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
Pass laws throwing fornicators and adulterers in jail? lol Nobody would have the room in jails for that.

LOL!!! My whole family would've been jailbirds!!!

Family values!!! I think it's funny that all my relatives & my parents were married & cheated while here I am, the token ***** who's "immoral" & "evil" & I've been faithful to my partner all these years & will continue to be so 'til the day I die.

Who's got values??

Old 08-11-2008, 07:25 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,559,257 times
this Amendment seems to be like a waste of time and will affect others besides gays. The authors of this proposed Amendment also seem to be fundementalist religious types. Don't these supporters realize Florida isn't some hick fire & brimstone state! (well most of it isn't!) Seriously why do we keep intruding on people's personal lives? That is what is most bothersome to me and I know married people where the ink on their marriage certificate is worth more than their relationship!

Old 08-11-2008, 07:33 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,155,464 times
Quote:

Family values are something different, honesty, sincerity, love for your family, desire to get ahead, believing on you and your family.

What are "family values"?? Traditional marriage?? My dad cheated on my mom for years. My uncles ALL cheated on my aunts (and I had 7 of them)!! Some one just lost the train on this one. Should this be the excuse? Was the male tradition stronger than love or commitment?

Family values are not traditional "marriage", again if you are referring to same sex relationships that is not the point.

How do we go back to quote " Family values are born out of love & not a piece of paper from the City Hall & Church."

How do we bring values to our every day life and how we plant the seed for our future generation...

Old 08-11-2008, 07:52 PM

9,523 posts, read 16,503,270 times
Florida has many problems to deal with as do all states, though in many ways Florida problems seem extreme. I think there are much more pressing issues to deal with than someone gay getting married or whomever this initiative is meant to hinder. It was done here in Oregon and a number of other states. I say with the states that can't seem to get off this subject they are not worth bothering with. Why help support these states, take your money and spend it elsewhere. Sticking your nose in the air at certain segments of the population and then taxing them as equal citizens is a joke. Its about time someone said so.

Old 08-11-2008, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Family values are something different, honesty, sincerity, love for your family, desire to get ahead, believing on you and your family. :
I totally agree!!

Quote:
What are "family values"?? Traditional marriage?? My dad cheated on my mom for years. My uncles ALL cheated on my aunts (and I had 7 of them)!! Some one just lost the train on this one. Should this be the excuse? Was the male tradition stronger than love or commitment?:
No excuse. Adultery has gone on since the beginnings of "marriage". So has child abuse, war, persecution in some form or another, hatred etc. It's just that all of these & more are considered just another facet of society in 1 shape or form. The agreement or disagreement just depends on who's on the "doing" end & who's on the "recieving" end.

Quote:
Family values are not traditional "marriage", again if you are referring to same sex relationships that is not the point.:
Oh, but it IS a point!! The supposed basis of marriage is LOVE. How can LOVE between ANY 2 adults be discounted as "against" these very same "family values" you listed that are rooted in LOVE if IT'S roots are in LOVE?

Quote:
How do we go back to quote " Family values are born out of love & not a piece of paper from the City Hall & Church."
If I had the answer to that I'd have the winning Lotto numbers & be on my way to my villa in Monaco!!

Quote:
How do we bring values to our every day life and how we plant the seed for our future generation...
That's the EASY one!! Treat everyone as WE would want to be treated & set THAT example for future generations!! Simple. (or maybe not...)

Old 08-12-2008, 05:08 AM

4,678 posts, read 9,887,919 times
No.

I believe the yes vote has more to do with " good ole boys " then religion anyways..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida