Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 08:18 AM

628 posts, read 1,826,700 times

Advertisements

I have purchased or represented new homes from several builders and found that even the best can have their problems and also found the lesser or lower tier to have built an above average/quality product. It really depends on the subs and the on-site management. Here’s my experience with several builders:

Arthur Rutenberg – custom builder – excellent product and design – expensive
Hanna Bartoletta – semi custom/custom - excellent product and design – expensive
Avalon Homes - semi custom/custom - excellent product and design – expensive
Noel Crest – Standard floor plans/Semi custom excellent product and design – expensive
David Weekly – Standard Floor plans with Flex options excellent product and design – expensive
Taylor Woodrow Homes - Standard floor plans/Semi custom - average quality – expensive
Morrison Homes – standard floor plans with 1 or 2 optional features – average to above average quality – moderate priced
Westfield/Standard Pacific Homes - standard floor plans with 1 or 2 optional features – average to above average quality – moderate priced
Ryland Homes - standard floor plans with 1 or 2 optional features – average quality – moderate priced
Inland Homes - standard floor plans with 1 or 2 optional features – average quality – moderate priced
Lennar/US Homes - standard floor plans with 1 or 2 optional features – production builder with quantity over quality – moderate priced
Beazer - standard floor plans with 1 or 2 optional features – production builder with quantity over quality – moderate priced

I have had direct experience with each of these builders and will say that at any given point in time one may perform better than the other but in general from top to bottom (top being the best) this is how I would rank them.

There are other builders in the area that I have heard good and bad about but cannot comment directly. Hope this helps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2007, 03:45 PM

713 posts, read 2,660,074 times
Default We've had great luck with...

Levitt Homes and Holiday Builders.

Old 01-30-2007, 07:26 PM

112 posts, read 363,269 times
We bought a Ryland home north of Tampa. We had a great construction superintendant and it pays to get on his/her good side. Overall the quality of mine and other houses was good. Sure, there were a few issues that subcontractors caused but they did pretty well.

Old 01-30-2007, 09:15 PM

17 posts, read 23,512 times
Holiday builds a nice affordable house. Windmere builds a great house for the money also. As was said before, all builders make a booboo now and then, but the two I mentioned have a good rep and I own a windmere home and my son owns a holiday.

Old 01-31-2007, 09:00 AM

17 posts, read 23,512 times
oops sorry I meant my brother!!!!

Old 01-31-2007, 09:09 AM

523 posts, read 2,821,920 times
I rented a westfield home in 2000 it was really nicely built. It was 137000 new that model is 298000 now. unbelieveable. They built a nice home, they just dont build over here.

Old 03-23-2007, 02:31 PM

4 posts, read 20,294 times
I agree the best way to go is thru a referal. Thats what i did and found Jerez Home Builders, Inc. I had my house build in Charlotte county and they made me a house based on what i could afford. They have their own models but they can also make custom homes. The number is 239-772-9149 ask for Marjorie she's was very helpful

Old 03-25-2007, 12:11 AM

713 posts, read 2,660,074 times
Default Holiday Home Builders are great!

They build quality homes and are on time! We have one and are happy with it!

Old 03-25-2007, 07:20 AM

16 posts, read 64,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shedav View Post
I was just wanting some input on some descent home builders. Seems every builder I hear about are not any good...mercedes homes, Jim Walters (from personal experience) etc. seems they all use illegal immigrants and when you need something done you cant because miraculously they cant understand english but yet isnt math required when putting homes together like using the measurement system? or maybe they use the metric system?

thought about buying one already built but now I am worried about what might be under the roof, behind the walls that you CANT see if inspected
Check out that builder on chiquita and 28th street Gauthier and Sons Const.
It is a very quality built home and he lets you make changes, and has top notch subs.He is a small builder so he takes his time with the customer. designer1

Old 10-12-2011, 12:06 PM

4 posts, read 5,324 times
Thumbs down John Cannon homes- Scam COMPANY

It's amazing how John Cannon – chief thief and scam artist, fooled so many people. You need to investigate on how many customers got ripped off by him. The houses he build have great facades but are little better than ginger bread houses. He starts with what appears to be a decent price, then he kills you with 1,000’s of change orders after you sign his so-called “iron-clad” contract. If you pay $800K for initial base price be ready to fork out another $400K- $500K in upgrades!!! As for the quality- my oh my, you will find out soon after closing. Things will just start falling apart and he will NOT stand by his warranties, he will just RIP YOU OFF, get you hard earned money and laugh at you after.....This man is on DRUGS as well. Please- DO NOT BUILD with John Cannon Homes- you will REGRET IT!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida