Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2010, 10:11 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,301,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mango23 View Post
Define, "Creating jobs"? No jobs have left Florida, there were never any to start with. We had no factories that closed or jobs that went over seas.

The stimulus was to create new jobs, green jobs, tech jobs etc.

So Florida was not part of the stimulus then?

Florida has a huge potential for high tech jobs, small manufacturing jobs etc.

Yes jobs have left, I know of one mill that was in Wildwood many years ago and had several hundred employees, now gone.

I know of an electrical harness plant that employed 250 and is now gone.

What about the huge Florida orange juice factory that recently closed?

CREATE means to bring into existence.

You are saying no jobs left Florida? Tell that to those who are on here daily saying they cannot find work in Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 05:15 AM

3,636 posts, read 9,767,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
The stimulus was to create new jobs, green jobs, tech jobs etc.

So Florida was not part of the stimulus then?

Florida has a huge potential for high tech jobs, small manufacturing jobs etc.

Yes jobs have left, I know of one mill that was in Wildwood many years ago and had several hundred employees, now gone.

I know of an electrical harness plant that employed 250 and is now gone.

What about the huge Florida orange juice factory that recently closed?

CREATE means to bring into existence.

You are saying no jobs left Florida? Tell that to those who are on here daily saying they cannot find work in Florida.
Exactly!!!

Also, come down to Lee county to see all the closed businesses scattered all over. Highest unemployment county in FL. No job creation going on here...

Old 06-28-2010, 01:09 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,923,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA70 View Post
Exactly!!!

Also, come down to Lee county to see all the closed businesses scattered all over. Highest unemployment county in FL. No job creation going on here...
Yes....restaurants, furniture stores, and more. This article is only 8 months old.

[URL="http://www.leecountytimes.com/florida-unemployment-reaches-record-high/"]Florida Unemployment Reaches Record High
[/URL]
Someone in an earlier post mentioned formal education and unemployment as if only people who can't read or write are out of work or making low wages. Of course it's important to get an education and to acquire skills, but a lot of educated and highly skilled people are out of work.

Just a short comment about salaries..I sometimes read the Boston newspapers, since I'm originally from MA. When the Mass Turnpike laid off some toll booth collectors, the Boston Globe reported the average annual income was $65,000 to $70,000. The average salary for a school teacher in Florida is $44,000.

Old 06-28-2010, 03:14 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,315,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Just a short comment about salaries..I sometimes read the Boston newspapers, since I'm originally from MA. When the Mass Turnpike laid off some toll booth collectors, the Boston Globe reported the average annual income was $65,000 to $70,000. The average salary for a school teacher in Florida is $44,000.
FL is also cheaper to live than in MA, especially Boston. There's no income tax here, lower sales and property taxes etc. They don't call it "Taxachussetts" for nothing.

Old 06-28-2010, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
FL is also cheaper to live than in MA, especially Boston. There's no income tax here, lower sales and property taxes etc. They don't call it "Taxachussetts" for nothing.
NOT when you live in WESTERN MASSACHUSETTS.... Costs the same as here in Estero where I am right now, that is a FACT. I don't care about property taxes since I do not own a home. Sales tax is more here by a penny. And believe me the income tax there is equalled by being taxed on everything else here.

Old 06-28-2010, 04:02 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,626,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verobeach View Post
There is no fence, Nancy, and I'm not on either side but thanks for the lecture. It's always a way good to start my day. And for the record, there's a sign on the door of the local Walgreens, as well as other establishments, looking to hire people and there's a Toys R Us moving into I.R. Mall.
I kind of agree with Nancy. And, having lived in VRB for 6 years, it is very expensive to live there, even on the mainland. At that time, there were 3 employers, the city, the county and Piper Aircraft. Yeah, there are service jobs but...... We loved VRB and Sebastian but circumstance forced us back inland.

Old 06-28-2010, 05:24 PM

Quote:
And believe me the income tax there is equalled by being taxed on everything else here.
like what? we have some of the cheapest car reg fees around too (at least compared to NY and PA).

And in Mass, they start taxing you on the FIRST dollar you earn

http://swz.salary.com/salarywizard/l...axrate_ma.html

5.3% on $70 K ends up being over $3500 a year JUST in income taxes, nevermind all of the other stuff.

Old 06-28-2010, 06:12 PM

Quote:
like what? we have some of the cheapest car reg fees around too (at least compared to NY and PA).

And in Mass, they start taxing you on the FIRST dollar you earn

Massachusetts Income Tax Rates - Massachusetts & other state tax rates information. MA tax calculat

5.3% on $70 K ends up being over $3500 a year JUST in income taxes, nevermind all of the other stuff.
When is the last time you registered a car in FL from scratch??? I suspect at least over 10 months ago....

For someone to register a car here from out of state, or even a resident, it's $450+++ since last September. A title is now $80 or more, reg fees are $57 and up, a plate is now $225-$325. It WAS cheap before last September. Drivers licenses are double and a half more now.

Want to get into insurance rates for cars and homeowners now??? Lets see where it is cheaper, here or MA??? I can tell you my car insurance is $400-$450 more in FL for less insurance. I was paying way less in 2008 while I was there for 5 months.

where-auto-insurance-is-most-expensive: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance (http://finance.yahoo.com/insurance/article/109309/where-auto-insurance-is-most-expensive?mod=insurance-autos - broken link)

We get taxed on clothing here, not MA, no tax on food in MA, there is here. No tax on heating fuel up there. Electricity is higher here.

Last edited by ChrisA70; 06-28-2010 at 06:22 PM..

Old 06-28-2010, 06:38 PM

Quote:
We get taxed on clothing here, not MA, no tax on food in MA, there is here. No tax on heating fuel up there. Electricity is higher here.
Does all of that outweigh the 5.3% of your income that Mass takes out every year from you?

I don't know where you got the idea,but FL doesn't tax food unless it's prepared or take-out. Also, you don't need heating fuel in FL

According to the Tax Foundation, MA has the 23rd highest overall tax burden while FL is the 46th highest

Last edited by chopchop0; 06-28-2010 at 06:46 PM..

Old 06-28-2010, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Does all of that outweigh the 5.3% of your income that Mass takes out every year from you?

FL doesn't tax food unless it's prepared or take-out. You don't need heating fuel in FL

According to the tax foundation, MA has the 23rd highest overall tax burden while FL is the 46th highest
I got my state taxes refunded every year when I lived there anyways, I see it as a savings account, just like federal.

Some of us would rather pay a little more to live where we actually LIKE to live. I do not LIKE to live here anymore.

Nope you are correct no heating fuel in FL, just crazy high electric bills instead , unless someone is one of the crazies that leaves thier windows open all year round because they are too cheap to run AC. Or like to be sweaty and stinky...

AND this thread is about "Where have the jobs in FL gone?" Another comparison since we are on the OP's subject. I guess it doesn't matter in FL if there is no income tax, when there is no job to take it from? Fact is, FL is top 5 in most unemployment...

BTW, do you live in FL???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida