U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-27-2008, 06:15 PM
 
Location: O-Town
1,781 posts, read 6,702,079 times
Reputation: 500

Advertisements

No your not crazy I moved away thinking things would be better and got homesick for florida so I understand.

I would be afraid to be on the coast in a Mobile home. I am in Orlando in a mobile home and I am scared here nevermind the coast.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-28-2008, 06:00 AM
 
Location: Living in Paradise
5,701 posts, read 23,337,482 times
Reputation: 3059
Quote:
Originally Posted by steggie View Post
I moved from Daytona Beach 2 years ago to the mountains of SC because of the two back to back Hurricanes which scared the heck out of us two seniors.
Now we are so bored in this town of 3000 souls that we want to go back to Daytona and enjoy the Ocean and the life in Daytona.
We lived in a mobile home before in Daytona and would have to go back into one due to limited finances.
Are we crazy to consider this ???
Based on your comments the fear of the hurricane clouded the key process of relocation. This key process is researching the location based on your needs and knowing upfront what are the pros N cons of the location.

This time around make the time to research what you really want and then take action. The choice is yours and you are not crazy...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2008, 09:22 AM
 
Location: S.E. Florida
392 posts, read 1,193,007 times
Reputation: 155
I don't think you are crazy for wanting to move back.

If you love the Daytona area as much as you say, then pack those bags and come on down.

Try looking into condo's as the prices have come way down.......
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2008, 10:07 AM
 
21,339 posts, read 63,983,869 times
Reputation: 41773
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
You are not crazy to want to go back. But you are crazy if you are going to move into a mobile home in Florida. I would never recommend any of my family or friends move into a mobile home because its just not safe.

Can you move into a condo, they are not that expensive????
I have to strongly disagree with this and another comment in the thread. Yes, there are mobile homes and manufactured homes that are very poorly constructed, especially if you are looking at the older models that weren't as highly regulated by HUD. However, I've also stood on the construction floor of a manufactured housing plant that was making homes for MEMA (Mississippi Emergency Management Authority). Those homes had so much redundancy in them that it was overkill. They were rated for CAT3 storms if properly secured, and designed to be deployed along the Gulf Coast. I suspect that if not hit by a lot of debris, they would weather a CAT4.

In contrast, many of the stick-built homes along the Florida Gulf Coast that were built prior to the strengthening of the building codes are crackerboxes that were built on the cheap because of legislative pressure from area builders. We were shaking our heads in disbelief down in Dade and Broward Counties when the legislature allowed the exemptions. Given a choice, I'd ride out a CAT2 or CAT3 in the MEMA home and seek public shelter if I lived in one of those crackerboxes. Obviously, I'd not take a chance in an older unrated mobile home.

Making a blanket statement about the quality of manufactured housing is simply impossible. We chose manufactured over stick-built because of a number of factors, not the least of which is that it allowed us to get 2x6" wall studs instead of 2x4" studs in a comparable stick built. It doesn't take a physicist to figure out which is stronger in a storm. As to any comment that "you really don't know how they put it together," well, as a matter of fact we do. We watched our home being constructed. As long as we stayed in safe areas and didn't disturb the work, the company was happy to let us watch construction. I saw no major flaws, confirmed standard construction techniques and practices, and I know for sure that the home can easily withstand 60mph winds, because it had to do so when it was delivered - on a foundation that was constantly moving instead of being strapped in place. Try doing that with a stick-built home and see how many miles you go.

I will say that one particular upgrade we made was a big factor in our happiness with the end result. Instead of the typical thin vinyl siding that doesn't fare well in storms and eventually has all sorts of problems, we opted for a cementous Hardy Board siding, which is far stronger, longer lasting, and so fire resistant that I used the scraps of it to contain a pit campfire.

There are issues that you can find in modern manufactured housing, but with the huge fines that HUD inspectors can impose (and there are always HUD inspectors at the plants), the problems are going to be cosmetic and lower cost materials rather than major construction issues with the basic box.

Where many people get an erroneous impression of manufactured housing is from watching the news, which loves to show helicopter shots of TORNADO devastation through mobile home parks. Let me put it this way. If your home is hit by any of the stronger tornadoes, unless it is a bunker with no windows, it IS going to be devastated. Tornado winds are not only far stronger than hurricane winds (except the hurricanes that contain tornadoes), they typically are debris laden and involve huge fast pressure shifts that can literally pull open the grain of wood. If you watch the news a little more closely in some of those helicopter shots, you'll see brick and stick-built homes equally devastated. So much for the failings of manufactured housing.


Now, on to a reality check for those who haven't had the actual experience. After dealing with the aftermath of Andrew for my employer, which had a location in Homestead and Kendall, and relatively comfortably living through the days without power after Wilma, because I pre-planned, would I be eager to return to hurricane country? He-double L NO. We were fortunate with Wilma that our home sustained no damage other than a couple of shingle ends flying off. What I did see was a HUGE difference in the way the insurance companies treated their customers compared to after Andrew, and a HUGE difference in the attitudes of the inspectors that had to approve the work.

I witnessed a neighbor, who used the same insurance company that I used, suffer through waiting for an adjustor, who didn't know his job, then have to wait for another, who under-estimated the work, to a public adjustor, who finally estimated properly (a couple months after the event). Once the work was started, there were problems with the roofers, a wait for an inspection with a denial, re-work to correct it, another wait which was lengthened because, because... sorry, I just have to describe this in a little detail...

The requirement to get a roof inspection not only was to fill out the paperwork and take a number, but that at certain stages the work had to be stopped (regardless of weather or schedules) for the inspectors to physically be able to go up on the roof and inspect.

The rules were that not only did the homeowner have to supply an OSHA approved ladder that could carry the weight of an overweight inspector, but that it had to be secured to the roof by ropes and left in place from the time of the request until the inspector visited. That length of time was often as much as two weeks or more, where tar paper was baking out the volitiles that keep it flexible, and subject to tearing by strong winds.

I saw the underlayments of roofs having to be redone, because the inspector waited weeks before coming, and the tar paper disintigrated. I've seen inspectors arrive, look at a ladder, and then leave without a word or note.

I saw many houses with blue tarps and leaks, MONTHS after the hurricane, because the homeowner couldn't find a competent roofer at any price.

So my neighbor FINALLY got his roof completed and approved, and then had to try to get his back covered patio rebuilt and approved. A year after the storm it was about done. In the interim, he had to have an engineer sign off on professionally drawn plans, order in panels from out of state to meet the new code requirements, etc. etc..

Living through a hurricane is a piece of cake if you are prepared at all. Living through the aftermath, if you had any damage to your property, can be enough stress to take years off your life.

I suppose, if I were to go back to hurricane country to live, I would bring as few personal belongings and effects as possible, and live in a cheap trailer on private land. That way, I'd avoid the loss of valuables in a storm or by theft, skip the high taxes and insurance, and if the hurricane damaged the thing, be able to shrug my shoulders, say "Oh well." and walk away whistling.

As for folks who build expensive houses on the barrier islands and then complain, I have one question - "What part of the words inevitable total destruction don't you understand?"
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2008, 05:36 PM
 
Location: Asheville, NC
12,508 posts, read 30,032,926 times
Reputation: 5319
I think it's fine to come back to FL. I do agree with the op about looking into a condo or block home. Not just b/c of the storms, but as an investment, Mobile homes depreciate, not appreciate. Good luck on whatever you do!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2008, 03:21 PM
 
Location: Florida in the winter/Pa in the summer
8 posts, read 17,353 times
Reputation: 24
I thought I wanted to leave Florida for good back in '99. So I rented my house out and tried going back to Pa where I grew up. I stayed for 2 years and missed Florida . I moved back to Florida and decided to do both. I now go to Pa in May and come back to Florida in October.. But I try to stay in Florida longer as I get bored up north (small town as well).. But leaving both places makes me appreciate the other more. I like the seeing the leaves change and the cool weather.

But Florida has more diversity and I have alot more friends there.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2008, 03:58 PM
 
Location: i see rude people (orlando)
41 posts, read 90,146 times
Reputation: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-50 View Post
I don't think so and that was one of the reasons I didn't move. Seems people are moving to NC, SC, TN or GA and not happy.

No, that is by far not the norm. I met people from FL up that way all the time, and I met very, very, very few people that were happier in FL.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2008, 05:55 PM
 
11,526 posts, read 13,467,675 times
Reputation: 16744
What would be different for you if another hurricane were predicted for the area that you chose to re-locate in?
As you get older, too, is the stress of a major storm coming something you can deal with...again and again?
I used to live in Fla. We had one big tropical storm and a few almost big hurricanes, that were downgraded.

Good luck to you which ever way you go. You shouldn't have to worry about things like this as you get older!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2008, 10:07 PM
 
8,377 posts, read 29,557,423 times
Reputation: 2408
Quote:
Originally Posted by c3po View Post
No, that is by far not the norm. I met people from FL up that way all the time, and I met very, very, very few people that were happier in FL.
Give them at least three years. It might take 5. Same "honeymoon" excuse as Florida except it might take a little longer for the second honeymoon to end, but the end will be twice as tragic. Then they will move back to FL and inevitably the same thing will happen because it is within you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2008, 06:13 AM
 
Location: where my heart is
5,642 posts, read 8,988,748 times
Reputation: 1661
Default Condos

Quote:
Originally Posted by steggie View Post
I moved from Daytona Beach 2 years ago to the mountains of SC because of the two back to back Hurricanes which scared the heck out of us two seniors.
Now we are so bored in this town of 3000 souls that we want to go back to Daytona and enjoy the Ocean and the life in Daytona.
We lived in a mobile home before in Daytona and would have to go back into one due to limited finances.
Are we crazy to consider this ???
We are in Naples. My sister-in-law bought a manufactured home in 2005 for $125,000. She was lucky with Wilma but others in her development weren't so lucky. We own a condo directly across the street from her. The building sustained far less damage than those manufactured homes. The last unit in that condo development recently sold (bad for us though) for $75,000 for 2 bedroom/2 bath with lanai. Prices have come down that much.

Try to find a good deal on a condo.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
>
Powered by Foreclosure.com
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:08 PM.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top