Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 06:25 AM

159 posts, read 456,285 times

Advertisements

Hailey, why are you still in Florida? I would have moved back home as soon as I saw I was paying so much more to live in Florida. Florida is a very expensive state to live in and with all the other problems, not really worth it. I am happy to visit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2008, 02:36 PM

3 posts, read 5,345 times
I'm still in FL because I'm researching where to move to next. I left PA to escape the cold weather. That hasn't changed. So I'm not going back there. Before I moved to FL, I thought I had done thorough research. Now I know where the gaps were in my info. And I am fortunate that I am debt free and have some savings. So I can tread water a little while. FL does have the closests to ideal weather for me. The cost of living is really my only complaint. Any recommendations on where else to look?

Old 09-07-2008, 05:01 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,563,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hailey030 View Post
I'm still in FL because I'm researching where to move to next. I left PA to escape the cold weather. That hasn't changed. So I'm not going back there. Before I moved to FL, I thought I had done thorough research. Now I know where the gaps were in my info. And I am fortunate that I am debt free and have some savings. So I can tread water a little while. FL does have the closests to ideal weather for me. The cost of living is really my only complaint. Any recommendations on where else to look?
If you like moderate climates and low cost of living Texas would be a good place to research.

Old 09-07-2008, 05:49 PM

1,781 posts, read 6,963,479 times
What about Atlanta it has a milder climate then PA and from what I hear has a nice job market and cheaper housing.

Also the Houston area of Texas might be another place to look it has a similar climate to Florida if you like the weather here.

Old 09-11-2008, 08:57 AM

3 posts, read 5,701 times
Default Comparing Schools in Palm Harbor, Westchase and Lutz

We are a family of 5 moving from West Palm Beach to the Tampa Bay area. We are considering the areas above but we want some information about the school system from parents that have first hand experience with the schools in the area.

It is not only an issue of finding an "A" rated school because in SE Florida we have a lot of schools that are listed as "A" but in my opinion (and previous experience) do not compare to similar schools in the Midwest.

We have 3 kids, 2 in Middle school and a little one in Elementary. I'd appreciate any suggestions of good schools in these areas, and we are also open to other surrounding areas that we may not have considered initially.

Are there gifted or other enhancement programs offered? What about learning disabilities programs? Our kids fall on both sides of the spectrum. Also, I believe there's no more school choice in the area but I read a lot about parents not being able to get into the school of their choice. Why is that? When do we have to sign up to be sure that there are spots available, are there waiting lists?

Any information and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-24-2008, 11:04 AM

5 posts, read 22,024 times
Default Palm bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissa3296 View Post
i currently live in erie, pa, but am looking to move - just not sure where yet. I run an online marketing company from my house, so work is not really an issue - i can do my job from anywhere. I am looking for a few things though. I have a one year old son, so the school system is a big issue. I am also looking for somewhere close to the city, but not right in the city. I will be looking to eventually buy a home, but renting is fine for the time being if it is easier. I have a dog, so that may be something to take into consideration as well. Since i have lived in a winter state for my entire life, i am looking to live somewhere warmer all year round - i have had enough of the snow. If anyone has any suggestions as to where a good place to raise my son would be, please let me know.
hi melissa we moved here a few months ago from ohio so i know what your talking about when you say cold weather. I love palm bay. I could not have picked a better place for the $ and the school systems are great they are very parent teacher involved which is important. The beaches are nice, the weather is wonderful ,the people are nice, and the area is good. If you need a realtor i know a really good one. Well good luck with your move and talk to u soon beth

Old 09-24-2008, 11:13 AM

3,636 posts, read 9,771,754 times
I agree here, Palm Bay is a great area. I have nothing bad to say about it at all. I lived off Riviera, my daughter went to Riviera Elementary, and she loved it there. It's a 15 minute drive to the great Melbourne beaches too. Palm Bay is a great place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BETHS PARDISE View Post
hi melissa we moved here a few months ago from ohio so i know what your talking about when you say cold weather. I love palm bay. I could not have picked a better place for the $ and the school systems are great they are very parent teacher involved which is important. The beaches are nice, the weather is wonderful ,the people are nice, and the area is good. If you need a realtor i know a really good one. Well good luck with your move and talk to u soon beth

Old 04-14-2013, 07:59 PM

1 posts, read 543 times
Thumbs up road to paradise lost

Hello hello American Pie: Am 67 and am now living off of approx. $733.00 a month. I lost approx. $150.00 from my SS and SSI check combined-tks to my brillant move from California to New York State (i was born and raised in Manhattan.) So someone pls point to where i can rent a 14x 14 room with a sink, nice closet (share B/R is ok) in a living enviornment that is minus Druggies, perverts,Psychotics that should be institutionalized, drunks,street scum, alley vacrants,illegals hiding out here, prostitutes, and ex-con's on Parole or probation. I prefer some building with folks in my age group-over 65, very quiet, non drinkers nor smokers-just nice quiet christian/judaic folks that smile everytime they greet one another. I was informed to go to Leon, Nicaragua for a 1-bedroom renting at $300.00 a month. Well, i speak spanish, and my family is Nicaraguan heritage (But am strickly NYC born and raised)! If there is any state within the 48 continental states i have overlooked for my dreamland retirment someone please let me know at: [email]Harry_degino2@yahoo.com[/email]. Thank You-God Bless all my brother and sister's over 65 struggling out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida