Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 06:13 AM

78 posts, read 407,588 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are thinking of visiting Palm Coast on our next visit to Florida. Any advice as to what to look for? I understand that there are different areas or communities there. We're retired now and considering moving. Thanks for any advice.,,,,,,Marge
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2008, 09:57 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,446,971 times
I'm going to move this thread to the general "Florida" forum where you'll receive more feedback, that's where you'll find more discussions about Palm Coast as well

Old 08-30-2008, 06:00 AM

58 posts, read 212,430 times
I presume the many areas you are talking about are what we call the B, C, E, L, P, R etc... There are many of them and the streets in those areas all start with the same letter. They can also go by Indian Trails, Cypress Knoll , Palm Harbor, Seminole Woods, Quail Hollow, Matanzas Woods etc...

Perhaps if you look up previous threads on PC on City Data that will give you a good insight on how it works here. Home prices are definitely great here and have come way down. Taxes are also decent here and much less than the counties north and south of us. Check out realtor.com to look up homes and get an idea of prices. There have some fixer uppers going for under 100k. I think the average is running just below 200k and for larger and more amenities, pool, water view around 300+. Just depends on what you want.

This town is growing so fast even with the latest economic downturn. Great paying jobs are scarce but as you are retired I presume it doesn't matter. Commercial shopping has finally come to PC which is wonderful as we can now stay in our own city instead of going to Daytona or St. Aug. Kohl's will be finished by end of this year and the movie theatre sometime next year.

You can also contact the the Chamber of Commerce and they will send you a map of the area. Great community with the good and bad that goes with any area. Hoping you enjoy your time in Palm Coast when you arrive and you find what you are looking for.

Old 08-30-2008, 05:52 PM

147 posts, read 568,436 times
Don't waste your time. Palm Coast has a become a depressing town. Everyone complains about what they don't have: jobs; stores; restaurants,on and on...

Old 08-30-2008, 06:34 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,555,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaglerwrangler View Post
Don't waste your time. Palm Coast has a become a depressing town. Everyone complains about what they don't have: jobs; stores; restaurants,on and on...
I agree Palm Coast is depressing!

Old 08-30-2008, 07:59 PM

78 posts, read 407,588 times
Okay...................If you think that Palm Coast is so depressing, where in Florida would you suggest?

Old 08-30-2008, 08:12 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,555,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by margeaa View Post
Okay...................If you think that Palm Coast is so depressing, where in Florida would you suggest?
Choose any of Florida's major metro areas(Miami, Fort Lauderdale, Palm Beach, Tampa, Orlando, Jacksonville).

Old 08-30-2008, 09:35 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,761,744 times
I DM'd you...

Old 08-31-2008, 06:43 AM

58 posts, read 212,430 times
Thumbs down Large metro areas

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
Choose any of Florida's major metro areas(Miami, Fort Lauderdale, Palm Beach, Tampa, Orlando, Jacksonville).
We lived in Ft. Lauderdale for 20 years and there is no way I would ever ever go back. Cost of living is so much higher and the congestion is crazy. Orlando is certainly not any better and the traffic even worse. We have friends that are even moving up here from Ft. Laud. The one's who already did move here absolutely love it.

You suggested all major metro areas...perhaps they don't wish to live in a big city but enjoy the more peaceful and quiet life of a smaller town that has plenty of amenities either here or within 30 miles.

Old 08-31-2008, 07:17 AM

3,413 posts, read 8,835,057 times
If you want peace and quiet- semi suburban/rural living on the coast, very little traffic, little tourism and a mellow way of life Palm Coast is wonderful.

If you're looking for action, culture or excitement go to a larger city.

Without knowing what you're looking for, it's hard to suggest what's right for you.

However, I spent 5 years in South Florida and moved to Palm Coast 10 years ago and love it. I've become accustomed to driving 20 or so minutes to go to the mall, driving a little more than an hour for "big city" amenities like airports, concerts, etc. It's a fair trade to live in an area that hasn't been developed like other coastal Atlantic counties in Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida