Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 02:36 PM

4,895 posts, read 14,140,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Macguy is technically correct though. Florida tornadoes tend to be "level 1" tornadoes.... not the monster level 4's and 5's you get ripping through the plains. Doesn't mean that they won't do damage...... just not typically as bad as in the mid-west!

And I guess the question HAS to be asked again...... WHY do tornadoes always seem to be attracted to mobile homes?!

Because the mobile homes have invisible Bulls Eye Boards marked "X MARKS THE SPOT"......

but seriously, it's like smoking three packs a day for oh lets say 30 years and not thinking that you've tripled your chances of getting emphezema (sp...sorry)......we all know that breathe in sh*t all day long and a lot of people get cancer from second hand smoke....but the chance in those who pay attention to their health....

If you live in Florida, in a trailer park, in Tornado Alley, you've upped the odds of getting flattened. Plain, simple....

Following this principle, you can only imagine flood insurance in the Panhandle on the gulf coast up there......their signs say, "WE ARE HERE AND WAITING FOR THE NEXT HURRICANE"

And its so beautiful in the panhandle as well...what are ya gonna do? I was thinking of moving to AZ where my kids are...but I might actually miss my humid home...been here 16 years...the longest place I've ever been....I don't know......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2007, 02:36 PM

1,608 posts, read 9,746,228 times
I did a search to see where Florida ranks with the amount of tornadoes per year. Florida is number 4 for receiving the most tornadoes per year! They actually get more here than in Oklahoma.... scary.

Old 02-02-2007, 02:50 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
Most Florida tornadoes are not very strong, though, compared to the ones in Tornado Alley.
But I have to admit that I miss having a basement.
When we lived in Colorado, I could count on hearing the tornado sirens at least once every May-June. It was good to know I could grab the kids/pets and head down to the basement.

Old 02-02-2007, 03:01 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,161,036 times
Florida weather is diverse and can change from county to county. The temperature changes can be as drastic as 40 degrees within 24 hours.

Tornados scale:
When is Florida's Tornado Season?
Florida has two Tornado Seasons. The Summer Season, from June until September has the highest frequencies with usual intensities of F0 or F1 on the Fujita Scale. This includes those tornadoes that form from landfalling Tropical Cyclones.

F0 GALE < 72 mph
F1 MODERATE 73 to 112 mph
F2 SIGNIFICANT 113 to 157 mph
F3 SEVERE 158 to 206 mph
F4 DEVASTATING 207 to 260 mph
F5 INCREDIBLE > 260 mph

THE 4 DEADLIEST SPRINGTIME TORNADO OUTBREAKS
4 MIAMI - April 5, 1925 5 People Dead
3 NORTHEAST FLORIDA - March 30, 1939 Turpentine Plant, 4 Workers Dead
2 NORTHWEST FLORIDA - March 31, 1962 17 People Dead Near Milton
1 CENTRAL FLORIDA - February 22-23, 1998 Seven Tornadoes. 42 People Killed In Volusia, Orange, Osceola And Seminole Counties.

Old 02-02-2007, 09:13 PM

232 posts, read 886,695 times
Redwingfan no unfortunately it is the price you sometimes have to pay when you live in paradise. Pay the piper so to say.....

You hope it never happens but it is reality when living there

Old 02-02-2007, 11:08 PM

155 posts, read 284,942 times
Post Scary!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
Because the mobile homes have invisible Bulls Eye Boards marked "X MARKS THE SPOT"......

but seriously, it's like smoking three packs a day for oh lets say 30 years and not thinking that you've tripled your chances of getting emphezema (sp...sorry)......we all know that breathe in sh*t all day long and a lot of people get cancer from second hand smoke....but the chance in those who pay attention to their health....

If you live in Florida, in a trailer park, in Tornado Alley, you've upped the odds of getting flattened. Plain, simple....

Following this principle, you can only imagine flood insurance in the Panhandle on the gulf coast up there......their signs say, "WE ARE HERE AND WAITING FOR THE NEXT HURRICANE"

And its so beautiful in the panhandle as well...what are ya gonna do? I was thinking of moving to AZ where my kids are...but I might actually miss my humid home...been here 16 years...the longest place I've ever been....I don't know......

Wasn't there some person here looking for a trailer in the sticks for $50,000??? Like you said, trailers and mobile homes are magnets for tornadoes!!

After this, I wonder if he still wants it....

You know, another thing that shocks me is HOW often we have tornadoes here! FL is #5 on the most tornadoes in the USA!

Scary!

Old 02-03-2007, 12:47 AM

598 posts, read 2,268,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsFan View Post
What is this? In Florida you have to worry about tornadoes all winter and hurricanes all summer and rain all the time?
Just wait until the official "rainy season"! Bet they forgot to tell you that this is the lightning capital of the US. And boy is it spectacular!!!

Old 02-03-2007, 07:57 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
So true - Florida is THE lightning capital of the country - maybe the world. Sad to say I personally knew several people struck and killed by lightning. It's nothing to mess with - you MUST get indoors if you see it or hear thunder even if you think it seems "distant."

Old 02-03-2007, 08:00 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,444,374 times
Lightening? Just joking. Yes, I've heard that Fla. is the lightening capital of the U.S. It's odd that I want to live there after hearing that because I was struck by lightening when I was in my very early 20s. I was fortunate though because I was spared.

Old 02-03-2007, 06:05 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,161,036 times
Thumbs up Lightening capital of the U.S

Visit the following for more info from National Weather Service:

http://www.srh.weather.gov/mlb/ltgcenter/ltgmain.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida