Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 11:00 PM

42 posts, read 253,577 times

Advertisements

That was some scary weather. We're in Lake County. It's more wide-spread than they're talking about on tv. I know a few houses in Leesburg near lakes got hit. There were far more tornadoes in those storms than they know.

I was out shopping earlier in the night and the wind was starting to kick up. The sky was an odd color and the lightning was different. I didn't know at that time that there were severe storms on the way. I didn't find out until I got home about 9 pm.

They were saying the worst of the storm was further north. I didn't think we'd have the problems we did. Even if you watched the news, you would have had a false sense of security in this area. I stayed up late watching the local weather and it was almost 2 am when I heard Lake County mentioned. By then, most were surely in bed. I nver heard mention of it before that. So when the local weather people brag about what a good job they did, it's upsetting. The same kind of situation occured before hurricane Charley. They were saying Tampa would take the hit and we ended up being a direct hit.

It is a sad state of affairs in this county. It's hard to watch it again. I evacuated for hurricane Charley and lived the horror of worrying about family and friends. Wondering if we still had a home. That is nothing compared to these people that just lost a loved one. It rips your heart out. I understand why people leave the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2007, 12:10 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,319,868 times
OH isn't it awful? I've been watching the weather channel's reports about it and it sounds like some of the areas don't have sirens? I didn't understand that because they mentioned that one area had an eight minute warning and the other a nine minute warning. Does anyone know anything about a lack of sirens?

Old 02-04-2007, 12:15 AM

278 posts, read 800,502 times
I heard that too, the lack of sirens. I think everyone really should invest in one of those NOAA weather radios, I'm certainly going to get one...

Old 02-04-2007, 12:26 AM

18,700 posts, read 41,882,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
OH isn't it awful? I've been watching the weather channel's reports about it and it sounds like some of the areas don't have sirens? I didn't understand that because they mentioned that one area had an eight minute warning and the other a nine minute warning. Does anyone know anything about a lack of sirens?
The sirens you mention were originally installed in most places as an air raid warning during the Cuban missile crises. Florida didn't install. The reason was if Cuba launched a missile, the flight time was so quick that sirens would not do any good. They would probably go off after impact.

Later on, when the crises was no longer a threat, most communities kept up the sirens as a notification of problems. Jammie, your in eastern South Dakota. They'll set off that one if there is a fire. Or a tornado. Same where I grew up. But Florida simply has none. It's high time they installed them. But not sure if it would have done a lot of good seeings how the tornados hit after 3 in the morning. If those folks sleep like I do, you could have a freight train hit the house and chances are I wouldn't wake up.

Old 02-04-2007, 12:59 AM

38,610 posts, read 22,598,255 times
OMG, how are my Floridian friends doing after those tornadoes? When I signed into the forums, I came straight to the Florida forums just to see how everyone is faring. I saw the news reports and the special report on the Weather Channel and felt emotionally numb when I saw all the devastation that took place. Please know that my thoughts and prayers are with you all, that God will see that you're all provided for during this time of trial. I send this message on behalf of all your friends in the California forums as well.

God bless you all!

Old 02-04-2007, 04:43 AM

1,316 posts, read 5,775,034 times
I always read the weather news on usatoday dot com. That's where I first heard about it & saw pictures. Terrible.
My heart goes out to all affected in any way.
I am quite shocked to learn that there are no sirens in that area!!!
I know FL is known to rank very high in number of tornados, so I just assumed they had sirens in those prone areas just as they do in other states.
This is a tragedy! I don't know how to go about getting something like that done, but anyone that does, please let us know so that we can email (or whatever need be) the appropriate parties!!!

Old 02-04-2007, 08:34 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,319,868 times
Guzzler, thank you so much for that info. I didn't realize that the sirens were installed during the Cuban Missile Crisis. Actually, I was quite young at that time and didn't pay much attention to what was going on in the world.

Elfy, I'm wondering if the first step in getting sirens installed may not be to go to the city council meeting and the county commissioners meeting in your area and let them know they're needed. In our area, the county commissioners are in charge of testing the sirens and keeping them operable so that would be my first stop. Even if it's not the same people in control of it down there, they'd be able to direct everyone to the right place.

OK just spoke with DH about this~go to both city council and county commissioners. It seems they work together on this. (at least here they do) The Civil Defense may help fund the sirens. The city council are the ones who get the sirens installed, the county commissioners maintain them and check them.

Old 02-04-2007, 10:45 AM

18,700 posts, read 41,882,843 times
First off, my heart and prayers go out to those effected by the recent storms.

I mentioned on another thread that a person should put in a storm shelter and was told the water table was to close to the surface. here's a solution. They're water proof. Bury one of these in the back yard.

http://www.shelters-of-texas.com/refuge.html

Old 02-04-2007, 12:04 PM

1,608 posts, read 9,723,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callie_D View Post
I heard that too, the lack of sirens. I think everyone really should invest in one of those NOAA weather radios, I'm certainly going to get one...
I agree. I had no idea about those radios...until after the tornadoes. I will certainly be getting one! They should be open telling people to get them, it's the first I've heard of them and I've been here for months.

Old 02-04-2007, 04:08 PM

156 posts, read 720,310 times
Just wanted to add my sincere hope and prayers that all my florida friends are ok.
I have one of those radios, I think I got it online at Camping World, or Bass Pro shops....we use it when we RV.
take care all.
iriegirl :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida