Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you known someone who has or have you ever been a victim of FL severe weather?
Yes, Tornado(s). 11 26.19%
Yes, Hurricane(s). 31 73.81%
Yes, Hail/Thunderstorm(s). 11 26.19%
Yes, Tropical storm(s). 18 42.86%
Yes, Flood(s). 11 26.19%
Yes, Lightining damage. 14 33.33%
No, never (knock on wood). 5 11.90%
No, not personally, but know someone who has! 3 7.14%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 04:01 PM

155 posts, read 284,942 times

Advertisements

The info is in. Not just FL is #4 in the USA with most tornadoes, we also have the highest # of tornadoes per square mile. Yikes!

This means you have more chances to getting killed/hurt/lose everything in a tornado in Florida than anywhere else in the USA!! Even more than OK, KS, and MO!! Shocking.

Oh, South Florida folks, don't think there are no tornadoes there! The last I can remmeber was in 2003 outside Miami.

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/mfl/newpage/libertytornado/brownsville.jpg (broken link)

srh.noaa.gov/mfl/newpage/libertytornado/libertytornado.html

One more thing... even if you have an NOAA radio like I do, WHERE can you hide at if you like in a mobile home or trailer? Even if regular houses, a F1 tornado can tear it up bad!!

Moderator cut: copyright issues
But again, if you don't have a NOAA radio that alerts you when a tornado is about to go hit, then you will die sleeping. Or get stuck under rubble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2007, 05:50 PM

669 posts, read 3,193,804 times
I would think Northern Florida is safer from both hurricanes and tornadoes, such as Jacksonville. Is this a bad assumption? It just seems they get the least natural disasters up there, compared to the rest of Florida.

Old 02-03-2007, 09:08 PM

872 posts, read 1,713,467 times
Default Severe Weather

It's easy to get carried away with the tornado threat here in Fla. after the devastating storms a couple days ago. I just looked at the map and read a post that said Fla. is #1 in tornados per suare mile. This really does not surprise me since almost all of Fla's twisters occur during tropical storms/hurricanes or from waterspouts that come onshore during the summer. What we had in the Villages and up in DeLand is quite unusual for Florida when you consider the tornados were F3 strength with approx 160 mph winds. We haven't had that severity since 1998. The reason strong tornados are rare in Florida is that we don't have the upper level wind shear or sharp temp/humidity contrasts that are typical in the Plains and Upper Midwest. Florida's real threat will always be hurricanes and the lightning which far exceeds any other state in the U.S. And you want a real scare? How about all the crappy drivers in this state. That should be the real concern.

Old 02-05-2007, 11:12 AM

You are right to say most FL torndadoes are under an F-3. But we get a ton of F-2s and F-1s... too often if you ask me.

The tornado density in FL is creepy, specially if you consider how much damage an F-2 can do to a regular house. The density just means you have more chances to get hurt in a torndaod here than in Kansas or OK!! Anyone like to play Russian Rullette witha tornadoes?

As to the other post, many hurricanes that missed central Fla in 2005 went up to Jax and the Panhandle of FL. So don't assume northern FL to be safe, unless you are far enough inland. If you are in the coast, not even NYC is safe, they has hurricanes go all the way up there in the late 1940s!

Old 02-05-2007, 04:15 PM

2,141 posts, read 6,906,187 times
I just got back today from ground-0. Two of the storms were at least F-3s or strong two's. It was a mess. Block homes did not do well even with the new codes. Very sad but the death toll could have been much worse.

Old 02-05-2007, 04:27 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,452,731 times
No one has even mentioned wildfire. That's yet another one of Florida's natural phenomena.

Wasn't there a series of fires a few years back that burned a number of homes in Central Florida? The fires are often naturally occurring - both the lightening and the native vegetation's tendency to burn.

What people tend to forget is that they are the ones who choose to live in places where fire, flood, storms, and wind are likely to happen regularly.

Old 02-05-2007, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
No one has even mentioned wildfire. That's yet another one of Florida's natural phenomena.

Wasn't there a series of fires a few years back that burned a number of homes in Central Florida? The fires are often naturally occurring - both the lightening and the native vegetation's tendency to burn.

What people tend to forget is that they are the ones who choose to live in places where fire, flood, storms, and wind are likely to happen regularly.

Old 02-05-2007, 06:48 PM

Yes, and the wildfire season is just starting

Old 02-06-2007, 12:12 PM

131 posts, read 1,034,581 times
I'm one of the lucky ones who gets to check "All of the Above", and I'm pretty sure I had experienced all of those before I was 10 years old.

Historically, Florida has been a downright difficult place to live. It's been written about in journals, articles, scientific documents and probably even scratched into the side of a pine tree somewhere for hundreds of years.

For an interesting read, pick a copy of Jonathan Dickenson's journal: God's Protecting Providence Man's Surest Help and Defence in the times of the greatest difficulty and most Imminent danger Evidenced in the Remarkable Deliverance of divers Persons, from the devouring Waves of the Sea, amongst which they Suffered Shipwrack. And also from the more cruelly devouring jawes of the inhumane Canibals of Florida. Faithfully related by one of the persons concerned therein, Jonathan Dickenson

It's amazing how much sunnier my days became after reading that book.

Old 02-06-2007, 08:01 PM

Oh no!! WHY did you have to remind me of wildfires!! Ugh, that is awful, my eyes were burning up everyday as I drove to and from work (and I have an A/C in my car with a premium filtration system).

FL Impressions, I honestly feel bad for you experiencing ALL of this bad weather by the age you were 10!! Wow, that sucks!

Hey, maybe it's time you move.... you know look for greener pastures?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida