Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2006, 07:27 PM

20 posts, read 92,373 times

Advertisements

Any input in Port Charlotte??? and Punta Gorda I saw very cheap houses there.???????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2006, 07:49 AM

800 posts, read 3,087,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJV
Any input in Port Charlotte??? and Punta Gorda I saw very cheap houses there.???????
Since that area was hard hit by hurricanes both in 2004 and 2005, many homes are on the market because they are damaged but many are listed because people want to leave the area.

Watch out for modulars that may have hidden mold or structural damages too.

Other than the hurricanes that hit the area hard lately, it's a lovely area.

Old 06-04-2006, 12:07 PM

Thank You for the input..
Can any one elavorate on flood insurance, my husband is crazy about a houses that are close to lakes, not like right outside in your backyard, but a nice walking distance, I heard that many companies are canceling their flood insurance, how crazy is it? does any one have a house that is close to a lake?

Old 06-04-2006, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee2e
Since that area was hard hit by hurricanes both in 2004 and 2005, many homes are on the market because they are damaged but many are listed because people want to leave the area.

Watch out for modulars that may have hidden mold or structural damages too.

Other than the hurricanes that hit the area hard lately, it's a lovely area.
Yickes well Thank you I don't want to get into a place that will get hit hurricanes that much!!
Thank You

Old 06-04-2006, 12:29 PM

2,227 posts, read 8,211,940 times
fla may not see as much hurricane activity (except possibly se fla --- but hopefully not) anyomre for a while

nc coasts and the ne are getting the grunt of the hurricanes now. i think the waters in those areas are now pretty warm too (more hurricane activity). a lot of family lives in se fla, so i hope they dont get anymore hurricanes. the houses (that are newer especially) are built like you wouldnt believe though, so hopefully very little damage occurs. hurricanes go away!!

Old 06-04-2006, 12:44 PM

1,307 posts, read 5,503,087 times
Quote:
Thank You for the input..
Can any one elavorate on flood insurance, my husband is crazy about a houses that are close to lakes, not like right outside in your backyard, but a nice walking distance, I heard that many companies are canceling their flood insurance, how crazy is it? does any one have a house that is close to a lake?
Flood insurance is not issued by insurance companies but by the Federal government, thus there is no chance that any of it is being cancelled. Whether or not you need flood insurance is determined by flood maps. If you are within a flood zone and have a mortgage, your bank will require you to have flood insurance. If you are not in a flood zone, or do not have a mortgage, it's your choice. There is a limit, I think $250,000, to how much the flood insurance will cover.

Home owner's insurance by any insurance company will not cover flood damage. While the official definition is more complex, the simple explanation is if the water comes from below, it's a flood and if it comes from above, it's wind-driven rain damage. This sometimes leads to interesting discussions with the insurance company adjuster to determine the source of water damage.

Old 06-04-2006, 01:35 PM

1 posts, read 3,871 times
Default florida thoughts

We have a house both (near Tampa, West Coast) and Wellington, FL. These are both great areas for families but it depends on what you are looking for. Wellington is in Western Palm Beach county, very low crime rate, no murders or rapes or any other crazy crimes you hear about happening down here. All the schools in Wellington are "A" schools which is hard to find. Great parks, community center, small town feel. The Tampa area is beautiful too but I think it has more hustle and bustle than Wellington and it's closer to the water so it depends on what you look. The Tampa area is definitely a preference for people who like to fish! As far as hurricanes, although they are scary at the time as long as you take it seriously and prepare in advance it's no worse than a major snowstorm!

Quote:
Hi Everyone,
I am thinking of relocating my family to Florida don't know exactly where yet because I have to do my research and plan everything accordingly, I have three children 13,12,6 (2 girls and 1 boy) I am tired of the city life and I want a place where my kids can run play explore, (maybe have a pool) but I am afraid of hurricanes, and of course crime ( that we have everywhere ) of course but I would like opinions on where I should start looking .
MY plans are to purchase a home not that expensive but comfortable for my family I was told that Tampa was good and Kissimmee was good also any suggestions? also my industry is IT I work as helpdesk coordinator in NY would it be hard for me to find a job over there?
My husband and I are very excited my children a bit scared but I think it will be in their best interest please help me out and give me some suggestions
good neighborhoods, and area that my children could have fun and low crime.
Thank You in advance for all your help.

Old 06-04-2006, 03:44 PM

36 posts, read 55,743 times
I live in Orlando, FL (for 20+ years). I was a teacher in Orange County for a few years also.

**IMPORTANT: STAY AWAY FROM ORANGE BLOSSOM TRAIL (aka OBT) - IT IS NOTORIOUS FOR HOOKERS, DRUGS, CRIME, ETC. IT IS THE ARMPIT OF ORLANDO**

I can tell you that in Central FL you will want to generally stay away from Orange County unless you are planning to move to Winter Park (historical Winter Park is best). Osceola County (Kissimmee) is not a good one either.

Seminole County is one of the best counties in Central FL as far as education. Of course that's b/c of the $$. If you are interested I'll tell you the scoop on Seminole County, were to live, where not to live.

Speaking of Orlando. There is a "urban renewal" happening in Downtown. Many of the older, run down homes are being replaced with $500,000+ homes.

Old 06-04-2006, 03:58 PM

17 posts, read 132,667 times
NYJV,
I am new to this forum (you're my first post)but your question on move to Florida caught my eye. We've had property there for many years. Our favorite "little town" ten years ago was Palm Coast--north of Daytona and south of St. Augustine. It had a population of 5,000 ten years ago and is now 175,000. So--NO longer am I going to build my retirement home there.
I am use to a small town (here in Wisconsin)and am now considering a small town in south Carolina. I don't want the "hustle & Bustle" of BIG city living. I think you will find most Florida cities growing by leaps and bounds. there may be some smaller towns inland--don't know about those. Above post was correct--Tampa is huge-traffic, people and overcrowded school systems.
Good luck on your quest and I hope you find your dream.

Old 06-04-2006, 04:10 PM

4 posts, read 15,196 times
Unhappy Former New Yorker, now Floridian

I would rethink Florida, if I were you, what part of NY do you live? I was born and raised on Long Island, moved to Lakeland Florida about 6 years ago. Lakeland is in Polk County and in between Tampa and Orlando (about one hour away). Homes have gotten very expensive, not to mention home owners insurance, the school system is not like NY that's for sure. I am planning on moving my family to Tennessee in the next couple of months. Don't worry about the hurricanes, that's the least of your worries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida