Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 05:25 PM

464 posts, read 1,741,244 times

Advertisements

Are Tourists more plentiful in the winter or summer months where you live , or, is it continuous year round ? Ive read a couple of Posts of native Floridians who are moving out of Florida because of Tourists ; Im very curious to know what is upsetting about having Tourists --- is it that they overpopulate specific areas in Florida , or, is it more than that ? I know Tourism really generates alot of revenue for Florida , so, maybe someone can explain this situation for me since im moving to the Panhandle soon. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2008, 05:29 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,892,322 times
Nope, we are rude to them, we don't speak English and then we rob them at gunpoint.

Old 09-03-2008, 05:33 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,556,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowDeDo View Post
Are Tourists more plentiful in the winter or summer months where you live , or, is it continuous year round ? Ive read a couple of Posts of native Floridians who are moving out of Florida because of Tourists ; Im very curious to know what is upsetting about having Tourists --- is it that they overpopulate specific areas in Florida , or, is it more than that ? I know Tourism really generates alot of revenue for Florida , so, maybe someone can explain this situation for me since im moving to the Panhandle soon. Thank you.
Moving away because of tourist is sort of a lame excuse. I really believe there is something more in the mix. It maybe true for a select few but over all it is nonsense to me. Good luck in the panhandle. I think the panhandle is the last frontier so to speak in FL. I like the Emerald Coast and it's beaches as well as the fishing is great from what I read. For the record I'm a native. Well behaved tourist are always welcome in my area.

Old 09-03-2008, 05:39 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
nope, we are rude to them, we don't speak english and then we rob them at gunpoint.
:dlol:d

Old 09-03-2008, 06:09 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,887,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
I think the panhandle is the last frontier so to speak in FL. For the record I'm a native. Well behaved tourist are always welcome in my area.
I may end up moving back to Florida or atleast somewhere along the coast between Tallahassee and New Orleans. It's really beautiful and unpopulated land.

I am a native and moved away but tourists wasn't the reason.

I hate that Florida is a tourist trap, paying low wages to cater to tourists is probably the thing that killed it. Honestly, People can love or hate Florida all they want but everyone has to admit that it's not the same as it was in the 80's or early 90's.

I don't blame tourists because hell, I visit Florida all the time, I also visit Hawaii, New York, and Texas often. The only diffrence is that those states find ways to better manage their economies. It's not the tourists faults. The blame lies on politicians shoulders and I'm sad to say, It started with the death of Lawton Childs.

Honestly, The way Floridas economy is set up, If the tourists stopped coming today, The state would slip into a neverending poverty that they likley wouldn't come out of without federal government financial support.

That's my 2 cent.

Old 09-03-2008, 06:41 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,739,729 times
We don't hate tourists, at least they leave. It is the people who move here and drive up prices and steal our freedoms we do not like. Tourists are welcome, but we have no more room for migrants.

Old 09-03-2008, 07:04 PM

464 posts, read 1,741,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
We don't hate tourists, at least they leave. It is the people who move here and drive up prices and steal our freedoms we do not like. Tourists are welcome, but we have no more room for migrants.
Would you consider someone who moves to Florida from Illinois, a migrant ? Or are you referring to people coming over from Cuba, etc ???

Old 09-03-2008, 07:06 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,892,322 times
I have no problems with migrants, I have problems with migrating malcontents.

Old 09-03-2008, 07:10 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,556,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNRyan23 View Post
I may end up moving back to Florida or atleast somewhere along the coast between Tallahassee and New Orleans. It's really beautiful and unpopulated land.

I am a native and moved away but tourists wasn't the reason.

I hate that Florida is a tourist trap, paying low wages to cater to tourists is probably the thing that killed it. Honestly, People can love or hate Florida all they want but everyone has to admit that it's not the same as it was in the 80's or early 90's.

I don't blame tourists because hell, I visit Florida all the time, I also visit Hawaii, New York, and Texas often. The only diffrence is that those states find ways to better manage their economies. It's not the tourists faults. The blame lies on politicians shoulders and I'm sad to say, It started with the death of Lawton Childs.

Honestly, The way Floridas economy is set up, If the tourists stopped coming today, The state would slip into a neverending poverty that they likley wouldn't come out of without federal government financial support.

That's my 2 cent.
Unless FL attracts more clean industry it will always be dependent on tourism. I hate that because it is so unreliable not because of the visitors. While visitors are always welcome we need to stop expecting them to fuel our economy. I'm in the phosphate belt and hate what that industry has done but will say no more because this thread is about tourism. In our area I'm seeing what we used to welcome tourist with for decades folding. Times are changing for sure. I've seen over 60 years of it and it's not all good or bad. We get a lot of over the winter kind of tourist that get on some nerves of long time locals and even some of the long time transplants seem to get irritated sometimes when traffic gets bad. If someone is rude to a tourist is not likely to be by a native as we are a small minority now as far as I know. At least it seems that way. The rule is come down, bring money, we need cash.

Old 09-03-2008, 07:24 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,887,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
I have no problems with migrants, I have problems with migrating malcontents.
It's kind of funny...

I worked with a guy that was CONSTANTLY complaining about mexicans, cubans, and puerto ricans flying their countries flags on their cars and living in America...

The same man that made that comment has ( or atleast had, it's been 10 years ) a 15x15 confederate flag on the back window of his truck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida