Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 06:39 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,100,783 times

Advertisements

South Florida does not have any affordable housing, especially factoring in taxes and ins. which will always be high. There can be some nice deals in other parts of Florida, depending on whether you can get employment. If you must stay in Florida, it can be done, but you will have to be a lot less picky than you were before. Good luck!

Old 02-04-2007, 06:48 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,738,096 times
Remember, if a hurricane hits all bets are off!

Old 02-04-2007, 09:49 PM

155 posts, read 284,739 times
Default Do you want honesty or fantasy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleakOutlook View Post
My husband and I made a huge mistake, from which the consequences just never, never end. We moved to Southeast Florida in 1999, to be near my mother. We spent two years looking for a house and we could never agree on the right property. The mistake: we were too picky and not in a big hurry. Then in 2001, September 11th hit and in addition to all the tragedy of that day, the real estate here started to go sky high in value. Now the prices of houses and duplexes in this area are 3-4 times higher than what these properties are worth and would have been sold for prior to 2002.

We kept looking for years for something we could afford but pretty much gave up, probably about a year ago. We're renting here and the rents are sky high, too. Our budget for a home is something not over $200,000 and we want a single home with 3-4 bedrooms or maybe a really nice duplex, either way so my mother could move in with us.

We went up to Georgia and looked around at some real estate up there, where we found really nice homes for less than here, but, we don't have jobs up there and don't have the kind of jobs to transfer, either. Doesn't help at all that my husband and mom reaaly don't want to leave Florida, either, and it would take a lot of evidence to get them to move away.

I've gotten really despondent and hopeless about the whole situation and I believe we'll never afford a home here. I didn't move here so I could just rent the rest of my life. I feel like I'm working for nothing, just to hand rent over to a greedy landlord. Yes, I'm depressed, and working with a counselor over that, but meanwhile, nobody has provided me with the specific answers I need to get our life out of this rut.

What I'd REALLY like to know is: Are there others areas of Florida still affordable where we could achieve this modest dream ? Is South Florida pretty much done for affordable housing ? Should we give up entirely on Florida because all the houses here are overpriced crap now and the only nice houses are for the wealthy ?
Do you want honesty or fantasy?

If you want honesty, at a $200,000 price range on the coast, it is impossible, unless you go to the panhandle or Northern Florida. No way in southern or central Florida.

In Central FL, you can only get houses for $200,000 in the heart of Mexico... ooooops, I mean to say Kissimmee/northern Polk County/Poinciana. But a 4 bedroom house at $200,000 is a looooong shot, even in that area. I was helping a friend look, she was getting gloomy once we did the searches... nothing in Orlando (well, you can get one in Crime Hills, but WHO would want that?)!

Try northern FL. But depending on teh work you do, the job thing will pop up again.

I am sorry you made the mistake of not buying on time. The truth is, the high prices, high insurance, high property taxes are here to stay!

Ps. WHY would you wnat your mother-in-law to move in with you?? No way I would want that for me!

Old 02-04-2007, 09:50 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,081,398 times
I agree with the rest of the posters. I live in south FL in my parents house and once I save up for a house up north, im outta here. Only the rich can afford south FL and with the hurricanes, tornados, crime, traffic, endless summers I dont want to stay even if I won the lotto!

You should go visit Georgia, Texas, the Carolinas, Tennessee, etc theres nice big houses for well under $200k and im sure you can find a job in those states. You dont seem happy in south FL renting away. I am not happy either so of course im gonna relocate. Hope this helps

Old 02-04-2007, 10:24 PM

1,307 posts, read 5,502,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcov2005 View Post
I wouldn't consider Port St Lucie at all! You would be hard pressed to find much up there under 200k.
That's an incredible statement without any supporting evidence. The greatest number of newcomers to Port St. Lucie are the folks moving away from high costs further South. Prices did go up in PSL a couple of years ago, and there has been a correction, but prices are still higher than they were in 2001 -- and the correction is just about over in PSL. My real estate friends tell me that prices are holding firm and houses are starting to move again. The reason this is happening here and not elsewhere is because there is no other place as nice, and yet as reasonable, to live and still be in the tropical weather. I would not wait any longer, and I would also not take the word of negative folks who have never been to Port St. Lucie, not of youngsters still wet behind the ears. Come up here on a Sunday, visit a couple of rea estate offices, pick up the free real estate magazines and make up your own mind.

I am NOT a real estate agent, and my ONLY interest in this subject is factual accuracy.

Old 02-05-2007, 03:52 AM

150 posts, read 706,146 times
I just bought a beautiful home in Port Saint Lucie.Three years old,under 200,000.You have to do your own research.I've gotten great info. on this board but there are a lot of uninformed statements made as well.If you research any state on this board, you will find the same.To each,his own!

Old 02-05-2007, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by julz View Post
I just bought a beautiful home in Port Saint Lucie.Three years old,under 200,000.
Now, that is a fact, not a guess by someone or a "feeling". Moderator cut: no insults please
Welcome to PSL, Julz...have you moved in, yet?

Old 02-05-2007, 11:03 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,448,766 times
Like everyone said, N. Florida you still may get a house for $200,000. But I wouldn't wait, the prices will not go down. Also HOI, Car Insurance, and property taxes are about half if not more than half the cost of SE Florida. If a house isn't in your budget, why not try a townhouse, let it build some equity then sell in a few years and buy a house. You need to get in the market somehow. But SE florida is done for affordable housing unless you want to be in a rough area of town, which I don't think you want to be. Good Luck!

Old 02-05-2007, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
Like everyone said, N. Florida you still may get a house for $200,000. ..But SE florida is done for affordable housing unless you want to be in a rough area of town, which I don't think you want to be.
How can you make such a claim in the face of the FACT that Julz just bought a house in Port St. Lucie for less than $200,000. In case it escaped your notice, Port St. Lucie IS in SE Florida, not N. Florida, and there are no rough areas in the city.

I get so angry when I read the sort of crap you and others are trying to pass off!

Old 02-05-2007, 11:18 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,448,766 times
We consider SE Florida to include Palm Beach County, Broward, and Miami-Dade County. Port St, Lucie is considered the Treasure Coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida