Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 10:16 AM

944 posts, read 3,847,189 times

Advertisements

I am unimpressed with the realtors I have met and interviewed. I'm thinking about becoming a realtor simply for writing my own offers. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2008, 10:28 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,147,419 times
have to say with the odd exception I agree. Look at some of the listings on the Charlotte MLs -some have one photo , and if there are more on most occasions the quality is appaling, dark, blurred -thye do the home no justice. On our last visit we drove past 3 homes all adjoining ,all being sold by the same agent.Not one had a leaflet in the box outside for the whole 2 weeks.
I have even called an agent from here in the Uk to be told he didnt really know anything about the house he was selling, BUT gee this is a great area right now because things are so bad (great selling) and hey did I know there are a lot of Brits 'over here'. Like I had just rung up from outer space. 2 weeks after telling me my offer was too low-the price was dropped by $15000. Did he contact me to tell me and try and get a better offer ? Did he heck.

I am now working with one agent (known to all) and the service is everything i want.

So next time a relator tells how tough it is -ask if they are actually working at selling anything>

Old 09-07-2008, 10:45 AM

1,380 posts, read 5,926,944 times
Sorry that you have not met any Realtors that impress you. I work with many that are excellent.

If you want to work on you own and write your own offers the last thing you want to do is get a license to sell real estate. The courts places a higher standard on licensees than on the general public.

Old 09-07-2008, 11:32 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,556,580 times
In Florida you take a weekend course, take an easy state exam and you are ready to go. In Florida you can even be a felon and become a realtor (I know I was shocked when I found out also). The realtor profession is not very respected in Florida. You would do a better job representing yourself. And especially in Florida always get an attorney no matter what a realtor tells you!

Old 09-07-2008, 12:59 PM

1,380 posts, read 5,926,944 times
Slight correction to the Daily Journalists post- It is a 63 hour pre-licensing course, followed by 45 hours of post licensing education for the first license term. The exam does eliminate a number of applicants. I must agree that the educational and examination requirements may be a bit on the light side.

The Florida Statute on the requirements
Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes :->2008->Ch0475->Section 17 : Online Sunshine

Old 09-08-2008, 07:41 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,855,535 times
I think you overlook the part of being in the market and understanding pricing and how and when one can get better deals. Real estate is one of those positions that everyone thinks is easy...until they try it. Only 10% of realtors renew their license in the second year. To become a broker like myself you end up with the additional classes and tests. While I did pass my tests first up that is not the norm so I might even question that the tests are easy. There is a tremendous investment in ORRA membership, MLS, and Suprakey.
Then after you get all your licensing in order you spend hours and hours working with people that will without any consideration take another direction and leave you in standing at the alter. People will think nothing of wasting your time and money. The common saying in the industry is "buyers are liars".
Now when you get the client that works with you and you find them that perfect home, or investment property and they close ... that's when the work is worth it. Everyone wins.

Old 09-08-2008, 02:44 PM

62 posts, read 348,614 times
Realtors are so lazy in my area. The flyer boxes are usually empty. If they have posted online ads, the pictures are poor. My Realtor didn't even show to the last closing ??? When my wife was looking at a job in Miami most had no images online.

I had bad experiences on every property I have bought where a Realtor was involved.

All the 3 by owners went smooth as butter. We just went to the title company together and said what we want the contract to say and the last one close in 2 weeks.

Old 09-10-2008, 09:16 AM

4,894 posts, read 14,135,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
In Florida you take a weekend course, take an easy state exam and you are ready to go. In Florida you can even be a felon and become a realtor (I know I was shocked when I found out also). The realtor profession is not very respected in Florida. You would do a better job representing yourself. And especially in Florida always get an attorney no matter what a realtor tells you!
I got my license after a real estate transaction went out of control....back in 1992.

It is not a "weekend class"...it's a 63 hour class. I took the week & a half version, it was either seven or eight days in a row, for eight hours a day, then test, then a 45 hour post licensing class....The old saying was, every third person in FL has their RE license. I took an 8 hour class on how to take the test before I took my exam in Orlando at the Fairgrounds... I passed my exam the first time around, but many don't .....the exam is not as simple as you make it out to be...also you must do continuing education every two years to keep your license active...I had my license active for over 10 years but due to moves & mail not following, I would have to take the exams all over again to have a current license...not worth it for me as I'm in property mgt. and will be taking my CAM exam in the next year...

There are other costs associated with being a realtor, your company will require you to be a member of your county society, that's about $1K a year, you need realtor paraphenailia like signs, cards, briefcase, etc....extra workshops, classes, education...if you do it right...

Old 09-10-2008, 11:04 AM

2,517 posts, read 11,048,890 times
i have wondered about this too. So let's say you get your real estate license in Florida. THen what ? Do you put in applications to different companies like Prudential, Century 21, etc ?? Is competition stiff ? How do all people in that one office split the differences. I want to know more about how the "machine" that is a real estate office operates.

Old 09-10-2008, 11:08 AM

2,517 posts, read 11,048,890 times
you can also complete your schooling online ! check it out..

Florida Real Estate License School - Fast track Your FL License With Online Courses & Classes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida