Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 09:29 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,446,971 times

Advertisements

Mattias,

You visited in August, which is peak summer season for us in any year, but this year we are having an extremely wet summer with lots of hurricane activity and above normal humidity.

So, you saw the worst of it, it's usually not that bad .

Old 09-07-2008, 10:11 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,887,919 times
I lived in Florida most of my life and let me tell you...

It gets a helluva lot hotter in other Southern states. Nashville had a streak last year of 16 straight days of over 100 degrees with no rain. Every single peice of grass in the city and suburbs was fried and brown.

Also, We don't have a breeze coming off of the Gulf or the Atlantic.

I see that Tampa is averaging 82% humidity, Nashville is a little less at 68% but still...

You guys and gals that complain about the heat in Florida should try taking a trip to Bayou Country in Southern Louisiana maybe on Bayou Lafourche.

Old 09-07-2008, 10:33 PM

1,284 posts, read 3,895,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNRyan23 View Post
I lived in Florida most of my life and let me tell you...

It gets a helluva lot hotter in other Southern states. Nashville had a streak last year of 16 straight days of over 100 degrees with no rain. Every single peice of grass in the city and suburbs was fried and brown.

Also, We don't have a breeze coming off of the Gulf or the Atlantic.

I see that Tampa is averaging 82% humidity, Nashville is a little less at 68% but still...

You guys and gals that complain about the heat in Florida should try taking a trip to Bayou Country in Southern Louisiana maybe on Bayou Lafourche.
I think most people like me who despise the summer weather in Florida understands what you're saying,that Florida doesn't get as hot in the summer as other cities.But I think you really are underestimating the humidity and that those 100 plus temperatures don't last for 8-9 months which is pretty much what we get here at around 88-95 with high humidity that makes it feel close to 100 or more and just walking to your car leaves you a sticky mess,and this goes on almost year round.Just this last January In remember being in the 80's for a good amount of the month.

Old 09-07-2008, 10:50 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,446,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doom1001 View Post
I think most people like me who despise the summer weather in Florida understands what you're saying,that Florida doesn't get as hot in the summer as other cities.But I think you really are underestimating the humidity and that those 100 plus temperatures don't last for 8-9 months which is pretty much what we get here at around 88-95 with high humidity that makes it feel close to 100 or more and just walking to your car leaves you a sticky mess,and this goes on almost year round.Just this last January In remember being in the 80's for a good amount of the month.
Depending on where you are in Florida, of course. We get about 3 months of sticky weather and then it's gone (NorthEast FL). This summer, June was actually far more pleasant than usual. Right now of course, the humidity level is very high since the ground can hardly dry out, so it's sticky here now. The weather should break soon though, it's probably only a few more weeks and then it will cool off some.

It's always a tradeoff. Some people say Jax is too cold for them, some like our cooler weather, it just depends on your personal comfort level I guess .

Old 09-08-2008, 03:24 AM

289 posts, read 569,640 times
Yeah well, I LOVE the heat & even the humidity. Because I HATE being cold. If I never see another snow flake for the rest of my life, I will die happy. And I live in west TN, where I was born & raised, last night it was 52* & I was in a sweatshirt & was cold.

Granted our southern winters are nothing compared to 2 months of 30 below & 2 feet of snow on the ground or worse than many of you in the North experience. But let me tell you, 18* with a windchill of 7 is still too darn cold for me. I can not wait to move to Florida. We were there in Daytona & Orlando for 1 1/2 weeks last July & this past July & I couldn't tell one degree of difference in the weather between there & where I live. If anything TN was HOTTER than FL. And I loved it.

FLORIDA BOUND IN 2009!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-08-2008, 05:55 AM

4,678 posts, read 9,887,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerafaith View Post
Yeah well, I LOVE the heat & even the humidity. Because I HATE being cold. If I never see another snow flake for the rest of my life, I will die happy. And I live in west TN, where I was born & raised, last night it was 52* & I was in a sweatshirt & was cold.

Granted our southern winters are nothing compared to 2 months of 30 below & 2 feet of snow on the ground or worse than many of you in the North experience. But let me tell you, 18* with a windchill of 7 is still too darn cold for me. I can not wait to move to Florida. We were there in Daytona & Orlando for 1 1/2 weeks last July & this past July & I couldn't tell one degree of difference in the weather between there & where I live. If anything TN was HOTTER than FL. And I loved it.

FLORIDA BOUND IN 2009!!!!!!!!!!!
West Tennessee is kind of a horrible place to live. I lived in Memphis for 6 months and it sucked hard.

Good luck in Florida. You'll miss Tennessee within a month, guaranteed.

Old 09-08-2008, 08:24 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,739,729 times
The problem is that temps at night in florida are mostly in the 80's. It is easy to take high temps during the day if you get a break at night. If Florida weather is so great, why is everyone inside?

Old 09-08-2008, 08:53 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
The problem is that temps at night in florida are mostly in the 80's. It is easy to take high temps during the day if you get a break at night. If Florida weather is so great, why is everyone inside?
That's just in South Florida. From central Fla. and north, temps are always low 70's in summer at night, and in about a month they will routinely be in 60s' - (at night) - much, much better than the super-mugginess that is South Florida. For instance, I just checked the Lakeland weather for the week (where I live) and lows will be 74 every night - checking Miami lows will be 83 every night - big difference.

Old 09-08-2008, 02:55 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,654,155 times
Default I am in Naples

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattias View Post
How could you guys live in Florida, or even in Southeastern U.S.?
It's SOOOO Hot and soo HUMID that I almost died when I visited Florida in august this year for three weeks!!
Even the rain is so bad... thunderstorm almost everyday, then sun, then clouds, then rain etc.
Well, OK the weather gets much better for few months, but it's still hot & humid for around 8 - 9 months... omg!
Well, many people would say that NJ has humid summers too... but at least we have many days with dryer air during the summer, 4 distinct seasons with pleasantly spring and fall, plus it's not 90's F every day and humidity is not 80 - 100%. A place where you can't walk outside without sweating is horrible.
The temperature driving home from work today was 94 degrees at 3:30. I don't know what the heat index is, but given the humidity, it was probably pushing 100 degrees.

The ONLY time this horrible humidity goes away in SW Florida is when the temps are under 70 degrees (rare days and nights in the middle of winter). Yes, under 70. 70 degrees in SW Florida is NOT 70 degrees in NY.

This weather is absolutely killing me. I have developed a skin condition too since I moved here. The doctor said, "Stay out of the sun", laughing. Thanks a lot.

Old 09-08-2008, 03:53 PM

1,781 posts, read 6,961,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post

I don`t think the nights are too bad, and everyone is not inside, my son and I were out nature walking this Sunday and people were everywhere.

Riding bikes jogging and playing sports/cookouts maybe where you are is different but the whole state is not a ghost town in the summer.

I don`t disagree that it is hot in the summer but not everyone lets this ruin things and stay cooped up in the house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida