Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 07:32 AM

3,636 posts, read 9,770,980 times

Advertisements

Heck ya!!! My beloved Massachusetts is almost last! Wahoo!

Man Mississippi has got to be one state full of large people!!! Wow, Florida is low on the scale!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I'm outside all the time, myself. My dad literally LIVED outdoors, planting and tilling his garden, fishing, and just sitting outside in his beloved swing - you could hardly force him to go in.

By the way, here is a list of the "fattest" states in the country for 2008 - Florida is way down the list at #38.... so, we are actually in good shape!

Fattest States 2008: The CalorieLab United States of Obesity Rankings (Obesity by State)

Old 09-09-2008, 07:35 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,811,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
Mattias,

You visited in August, which is peak summer season for us in any year, but this year we are having an extremely wet summer with lots of hurricane activity and above normal humidity.

So, you saw the worst of it, it's usually not that bad .
Could this weather of increasing temps and humidity become a trend for the future of Florida? Just wondering before I give any consideration to spending time there after retirement.

Old 09-09-2008, 07:40 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,399,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Could this weather of increasing temps and humidity become a trend for the future of Florida? Just wondering before I give any consideration to spending time there after retirement.

The temperatures and humidity are no worse or better than any other year.

The rain is back to normal. Summer storms and rain are a part of the landscape... usually flare up in the afternoon as the atmosphere heats up.

We came off a period of drought-like conditions that threatened the water supply and aquifers.

As for hurricanes, don't sweat em. Buy or live in a solid building, and make plans. More people die in blizzards each year than hurricanes in Florida!

Old 09-09-2008, 07:41 AM

I find nothing interesting about exercising in the heat... Biking sucks here, people have no consideration for cyclists and it's too dangerous to take a ride, and I don't mean down the street and back, I used to go 15-20 miles round trip on weekends or days off. Then in the winter I XC ski because I can't bike... And another thing. My younger brother who plays for Western United soccer in Massachusetts which is a division of the New England Revolution, well they came to Tampa in May for exhibition games and all, ALL the northern teams had health problems when they played here, cramps, fatigue, heat sick.... Ya it was great for them here... My daugher hates going outside, she is 9, when she is up north she never comes in the house.

I love it here in Jan/Feb though!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
It's funny, because as a kid I was outside EVERY DAY. I also played soccer in the middle of the summer. As an adult, I of course work indoors, but I have never stayed indoors during my time off because it was "too hot." By the time I'm home from work, the breeze coming off the ocean and the setting sun, even in the summer, make walks and jogging possible, or a nice swim in the pool.

Don't use the "heat" to excuse being overweight. There are far more skinny people in hotter parts of the world than here.

Old 09-09-2008, 07:42 AM

Die in blizzards, GIVE ME A BREAK!!!!! When and where is this? Hurricanes kill too, please lets not make them sound like a wind and rain storm....

Quote:
The temperatures and humidity are no worse or better than any other year.

The rain is back to normal. Summer storms and rain are a part of the landscape... usually flare up in the afternoon as the atmosphere heats up.

We came off a period of drought-like conditions that threatened the water supply and aquifers.

As for hurricanes, don't sweat em. Buy or live in a solid building, and make plans. More people die in blizzards each year than hurricanes in Florida!

Old 09-09-2008, 07:43 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,811,747 times
Wink Sweating desirable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brute Force View Post
Sweating it's good for you, if you didn't know, .
Until you start feeling heat exhaustion, develop rashes from constant moisture on the skin, and experience "dripping" from the people around you.

Old 09-09-2008, 07:46 AM

995 posts, read 3,929,825 times
We just moved from upstate NY and this is our first summer in S. FL. We found FL summer weather is not as bad as we thought. If too hot, I'll just go to a pool. Best feeling in the world.

Old 09-09-2008, 07:51 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,399,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoMA4good View Post
Die in blizzards, GIVE ME A BREAK!!!!! When and where is this? Hurricanes kill too, please lets not make them sound like a wind and rain storm....

Blizzard Death Toll Hits 22 - US news | Newser: Know More. Search Less.

Five Denver deaths may be blizzard-connected - The Denver Post

Blizzard of 1999 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

January 1996:

Alabama--2 deaths, some roads closed by ice.
Arkansas--4 deaths.
Connecticut--4 deaths, 27 inches at Darien.
Delaware--4 deaths, 22 inches at New Castle, a record for January.
District of Columbia--Federal and local governments closed.
Georgia--1 death, up to 12 inches in mountains of northeastern Georgia.
Indiana--3 deaths, up to 9 inches in southern portion of state.
Kentucky--6 deaths, 28 inches at Pine Mountain.
Maine--no deaths reported, up to 12 inches of snow along coast.
Maryland--6 deaths, 33 inches at Frostburg.
Massachusetts--no deaths reported, 18 inches in Boston.
New Hampshire--no deaths reported, up to 17 inches in southwest portion of state.
New Jersey--4 deaths, 27.8 inches at Newark Airport.
New York--7 deaths, 27.5 inches in New York City on Staten Island, 20.2 inches in Central Park.
North Carolina--5 deaths, up to 30 inches in northern mountains.
Ohio--3 deaths, up to 18 inches in southeastern counties, 14.4 inches at Cincinnati.
Pennsylvania--80 deaths, 30.7 inches in Philadelphia.
Rhode Island--no deaths reported, 24 inches at Warwick.
South Carolina--2 deaths, 10 inches in mountains of Pickens County.
Tennessee--4 deaths, up to 30 inches in higher mountains.
Virginia--13 deaths, 47 inches in Shenandoah National Park.
West Virginia-- 6 deaths, 48 inches at Snowshoe--highest total for the storm.
Overall snowstorm death toll--154.

North American blizzard of 2008 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-09-2008, 07:53 AM

I had a heat exhaustion incident in 1999 in Melbourne, FL. where I nearly passed out, stopped sweating, nausea, headache, yes it was a blast. Went to the hospital for introvenus to hydration. And I WAS drinking water too, lots of it. I was putting an air conditioner in in late afternoon, it was in the upper 90's, humid as heck as usual. I fell backwards and a resident saw me, called my manager, she brought me to the hospital. never did that again. From then on I installed early morning when it was a cold 80 degrees. SO.... Exercising in the heat, no thanks. Treadmills are my friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Until you start feeling heat exhaustion, develop rashes from constant moisture on the skin, and experience "dripping" from the people around you.

Old 09-09-2008, 07:55 AM

Now lets go with hurricane deaths shall we???? Both sides of the fence here. All I have to say is KATRINA, AND ANDREW!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Blizzard Death Toll Hits 22 - US news | Newser: Know More. Search Less.

Five Denver deaths may be blizzard-connected - The Denver Post

Blizzard of 1999 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

January 1996:

Alabama--2 deaths, some roads closed by ice.
Arkansas--4 deaths.
Connecticut--4 deaths, 27 inches at Darien.
Delaware--4 deaths, 22 inches at New Castle, a record for January.
District of Columbia--Federal and local governments closed.
Georgia--1 death, up to 12 inches in mountains of northeastern Georgia.
Indiana--3 deaths, up to 9 inches in southern portion of state.
Kentucky--6 deaths, 28 inches at Pine Mountain.
Maine--no deaths reported, up to 12 inches of snow along coast.
Maryland--6 deaths, 33 inches at Frostburg.
Massachusetts--no deaths reported, 18 inches in Boston.
New Hampshire--no deaths reported, up to 17 inches in southwest portion of state.
New Jersey--4 deaths, 27.8 inches at Newark Airport.
New York--7 deaths, 27.5 inches in New York City on Staten Island, 20.2 inches in Central Park.
North Carolina--5 deaths, up to 30 inches in northern mountains.
Ohio--3 deaths, up to 18 inches in southeastern counties, 14.4 inches at Cincinnati.
Pennsylvania--80 deaths, 30.7 inches in Philadelphia.
Rhode Island--no deaths reported, 24 inches at Warwick.
South Carolina--2 deaths, 10 inches in mountains of Pickens County.
Tennessee--4 deaths, up to 30 inches in higher mountains.
Virginia--13 deaths, 47 inches in Shenandoah National Park.
West Virginia-- 6 deaths, 48 inches at Snowshoe--highest total for the storm.
Overall snowstorm death toll--154.

North American blizzard of 2008 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida