Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 02:57 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,933,384 times

Advertisements

I don't live in Florida, but when I'm there for an extended amount of time, I'm just dying to get back to NY to have some good italian food. Italian restaurants in other parts of the country can't compare to NYC's.

I also had so much trouble getting sushi down there this past summer. Almost all the places were closed for the summer because they were on vacation. One place in all of Naples was open, which happened to be nearly double the price of what I can get it here in the city. Wasn't even better quality for that high of cost.

And of course you can't forget about the bagels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2008, 03:09 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,658,081 times
Default Well, Orlando is a bigger city

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
Thats horrible, at least Orlando has some pizza places owned by people from New York and New Jersey that are open for lunch.
and has more tourists than Naples. This isn't just in off season that they are closed, but year round. You cannot get pizza before 4 PM on the weekends in Naples, other than the pizza chains.

Old 09-13-2008, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
Oh yea

Great, now I want pizza after looking at those pictures, lol. I'll send you guys some good NYC pizza I had no idea that mozzarella was harder to get/more expensive in other parts of the country. No wonder pizza doesn't taste right in other parts of the country lol

My friends from out of the area never heard of garlic knots either. I guess you can't get them most other places.

Old 09-13-2008, 03:12 PM

854 posts, read 2,863,081 times
good german (european?) bread. but that's not only florida, rather the whole US.

Old 09-13-2008, 03:15 PM

973 posts, read 2,229,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Italian restaurants in other parts of the country can't compare to NYC's.
You haven't been to The Hill area of St. Louis - Yogi Berra's home neighborhood. It's still a very Italian neighborhood and continues to be well-known for decades for visitors to the city - a vast selection of great Italian restaurants. Considering the time they've spent in NYC, Berra, DiMaggio, Torre, and all their Yankee teammates have made a point to eat on The Hill during every trip to STL.

The selection in NYC is of course larger simply due to the size, but many restaurants on The Hill are equal to the best NYC has to offer.

Old 09-13-2008, 03:15 PM

1,802 posts, read 8,162,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLBob View Post
There are a few items that you may not find in the grocery stores, but not much. I can't find scrapple, but then I'm ok with that.
No scrapple?! I LOVE scrapple. I don't want to know what's in it but I love it.

Old 09-13-2008, 03:18 PM

1,380 posts, read 5,928,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
Just look at that cheese!!!!!!!!!! My husband and I went looking for just one slice of pizza today at lunchtime on a Saturday. We could not find ONE SINGLE STORE which was open before 4 PM on the weekend. Hello? Doesn't anybody eat pizza for LUNCH around here? No, I just want one slice of pizza on a Saturday afternoon. I don't want Pizza Hut, Domino's, etc., etc.
It's been a few years since I lived in Naples but there was a place just a bit to the north, if my memory is correct, near Bonita Bay on the west side of 41. The owner was an NYC transplant, the pizza was good enough that I know people that drove up from Marco just for the pizza.
I like the pizza I get at K's Family restaurant in Deep Creek.
I've heard good things about Amores in south Venice.
I'm a fan of Luna's pizza, since I can walk there from my house and they let me sit with my dog outside.

Old 09-13-2008, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfjtm View Post
You haven't been to The Hill area of St. Louis - Yogi Berra's home neighborhood. It's still a very Italian neighborhood and continues to be well-known for decades for visitors to the city - a vast selection of great Italian restaurants. Considering the time they've spent in NYC, Berra, DiMaggio, Torre, and all their Yankee teammates have made a point to eat on The Hill during every trip to STL.

The selection in NYC is of course larger simply due to the size, but many restaurants on The Hill are equal to the best NYC has to offer.

I have been there. It was good, but nothing I would go back for.

Old 09-13-2008, 03:23 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,658,081 times
Default Yes, garlic knots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Great, now I want pizza after looking at those pictures, lol. I'll send you guys some good NYC pizza I had no idea that mozzarella was harder to get/more expensive in other parts of the country. No wonder pizza doesn't taste right in other parts of the country lol

My friends from out of the area never heard of garlic knots either. I guess you can't get them most other places.
Pizza and garlic knots for lunch on the weekend when I come in October.

Old 09-13-2008, 03:46 PM

1,380 posts, read 5,928,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddiyo View Post
good german (european?) bread. but that's not only florida, rather the whole US.
I miss brochen. Since I left Stuttgart I have searched bakery after bakery to find something that compares with out luck. Thanks for reminding me what I was missing. My wife thinks I'm nuts, but there is some subtle favor profile that just not there with anything I've tried.
Come to think of it, I've never been able to reproduce the coffee I had in Germany. It's the only place where a cup of coffee tastes just like coffee smells.
O yeah and beer I miss German beer, some how the same brands that I drank in Stuttgart don't taste the same here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida