Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 04:59 AM

2,909 posts, read 14,085,833 times

Advertisements

I dont know those neighboorhoods, I only know that those houses can be had for $150k or even less. You dont like the location, choose a different location. $150k is alot more affordable than $250k. There really isnt a winter in FL and parts of other southern states. You need to be around Atlanta or further north to see snow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2007, 12:45 PM

669 posts, read 3,193,804 times
Winter and snow are two different things. People from Jacksonville would surely tell you they have "winter". They just don't have snow. To not have a winter truly you need to be in Hawaii or something where it's 75 all year with virtually no change.

Old 02-09-2007, 10:00 PM

598 posts, read 2,268,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
I dont know those neighboorhoods, I only know that those houses can be had for $150k or even less.
Exactly MaryLou's point! NAH those houses are most likely in bad areas or little mexico. Especially the Orlando ones... from what I have heard from people living there the prices super skyrocketed. Who wants to live in the worst parts of town just to be able to own your place? I'd rather rent than be anywhere near that environment.

Old 02-09-2007, 10:09 PM

Don't say anything about rent, we'll get into a debate about "rent being a waste of money!" LOL.

Anyways, even if Florida stays expensive, it's what you'd expect. honestly, I'm shocked Florida was not ALWAYS expensive. It always felt like it should've been California priced due to the climate, things to do, etc. I'm amazed it was so cheap for so long.

Old 02-09-2007, 10:33 PM

598 posts, read 2,268,922 times
lol so what's another "debate"?... no matter what a person says here it ends up in some kinda debate! heh heh. Ok you caught me, I would never rent because it is throwing money away agreed. I would just buy a house someplace else where it was affordable, which may be someplace other than florida.

Old 02-10-2007, 03:35 AM

2,909 posts, read 14,085,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmurphy View Post
Winter and snow are two different things. People from Jacksonville would surely tell you they have "winter". They just don't have snow. To not have a winter truly you need to be in Hawaii or something where it's 75 all year with virtually no change.

Actually it gets to 60-65 in the winter at night in Hawaii. In many parts of coastal Hawaii, the difference between summer and winter is just 5 degrees! In fact Hawaii has one of the best weather in the world. The summers highs average 83-85 at or near the coast due to the cooler sea breeze and the lows are 68-75 with the winters being just a few degrees cooler.

Still I dont consider it a winter if its tropical as there is no seasons other than wet and dry seasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by summergal View Post
Exactly MaryLou's point! NAH those houses are most likely in bad areas or little mexico. Especially the Orlando ones... from what I have heard from people living there the prices super skyrocketed. Who wants to live in the worst parts of town just to be able to own your place? I'd rather rent than be anywhere near that environment.
Some people arent afraid of crime, dont care or dont have enough money for an expensive neighboorhood. The fact remains there are $150k houses. Alternatively, you could live elsewhere and commute. PSL doesnt have any ghettos or rough areas

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmurphy View Post
Don't say anything about rent, we'll get into a debate about "rent being a waste of money!" LOL.

Anyways, even if Florida stays expensive, it's what you'd expect. honestly, I'm shocked Florida was not ALWAYS expensive. It always felt like it should've been California priced due to the climate, things to do, etc. I'm amazed it was so cheap for so long.
I believe before a/c was invented, FL wasnt popular. CA was because of its mild maritime climate. Even up north was more popular because youd only suffer during the summer days. The summer nights got cool enough for comfort and you had a fireplace to keep warm in the winter. I would rather be living somewhere like Montana than FL if a/c wasnt invented.

Old 02-11-2007, 11:47 AM

13 posts, read 42,407 times
Most of the residents of Florida have "Save our Homes" protection most of those don't understand it or care to. They treat the tax issue with benign neglect, their taxes are low "for now" The Save our Homes amendment is truly the third rail of Florida politics. The newcomers, businesses and seasonal residents are getting killed but "that's their problem" In my opinion the impact/crash will only be felt when the businesses close, the newcomers relocate to other "tax friendly" sunbelt states, seasonal residents with all the money they contribute to the Florida economy don't return and retiring baby boomers avoid Florida because taxes are to high.

Old 02-11-2007, 01:17 PM

232 posts, read 886,695 times
Here is my definition of winter....snow or no snow that doesnt matter if it gets below 50 and I have to wear a coat or freeze to death then.......its winter.

Old 02-11-2007, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shedav View Post
Here is my definition of winter....snow or no snow that doesnt matter if it gets below 50 and I have to wear a coat or freeze to death then.......its winter.
Exactly. Winter does not have to include snow to be winter.

Heck, we've gotten a total of maybe 2" so far this whole winter where the avg. is about 12" by now. It's still winter. It's still cold. It's just dry.

Old 02-11-2007, 01:41 PM

2,141 posts, read 6,906,187 times
I think the future of Florida will end up the same as 1928. All the same things are in place. In the 1920's Florida was the focus of one of the greatest economic and social phenomenon in American history as hundreds of thousands of Americans of all types of financial strata poured into the Sunshine State and forever changed the global image of Florida. There were similar movements in the south of France during the 1920's, but the Florida story was so vast and complete in changed the entire scope of the state. We are counting on a mass flux of people to move here. The over supply of home and condos are based on the if you build it they will come way of thinking. It was done before and ended badly. I know the whole doom and gloom thing. But at some point you have to get real. Lets just hope I'm wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida