Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 05:57 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,532,935 times

Advertisements

Ok, i hope this is not a dumb question, but my wife and I enjoy doing alot of canning and making freezer jam. We never buy the store stuff....my boys are so spoiled!

Anyway, we make strawberry, peach, plum, cherry, and a few other kinds of freezer jam. Today I just picked plums, pears and apples from my small orchard, and am actually right now making plum freezer jam.

So, this has got me thinking. What fruit trees can I plant down there in central Florida? We are zone 9 , I believe.

What fruits can I easily buy down there ? What fruits and veggies can I plant, buy, can, etc? I'm guessing I can get peaches because of being close to Georgia...but what can I actually plant down there? I'm guessing apples are out....but i already do have a nice valencia orange tree and a small lemon tree. I'm thinking about a banana tree even.

I did not want to post this in the gardening section because I want to have this Florida specific.

Frank D.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2008, 06:04 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,658,081 times
Default My sister-in-law has a Mango tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulFrank View Post
Ok, i hope this is not a dumb question, but my wife and I enjoy doing alot of canning and making freezer jam. We never buy the store stuff....my boys are so spoiled!

Anyway, we make strawberry, peach, plum, cherry, and a few other kinds of freezer jam. Today I just picked plums, pears and apples from my small orchard, and am actually right now making plum freezer jam.

So, this has got me thinking. What fruit trees can I plant down there in central Florida? We are zone 9 , I believe.

What fruits can I easily buy down there ? What fruits and veggies can I plant, buy, can, etc? I'm guessing I can get peaches because of being close to Georgia...but what can I actually plant down there? I'm guessing apples are out....but i already do have a nice valencia orange tree and a small lemon tree. I'm thinking about a banana tree even.

I did not want to post this in the gardening section because I want to have this Florida specific.

Frank D.
She had so many mangos she gave some away to a farm stand. She also canned a lot of them. My husband has been trying to grow tomatoes without much success. The plant has gotten very tall, gets flowers, but no tomatoes. He planted it about a month ago. Maybe it was too late? Is there a season here to planting even with the warmth year round? I don't know. We are in Zone 10 and I did hear it was too warm in this part for certain plants. You probably could do better in Zone 9 with more.

Old 09-14-2008, 06:20 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,532,935 times
At our Florida home, we had to cut down a Loquat tree last May because it was too big and too close to the house.

I'm asking because we will be down there again for the month of October, and I'd like to plant some more trees the first week we are there, then water them well for the month.....hopefully they will "take" over the winter months while we are gone.

My snowbird renters can water, etc, as needed until we return again in May. I do not like planting too much down there in May, due to the hot summer months when no one is usually there.

Frank D.

Old 09-14-2008, 06:31 PM

Default That is basically what they told

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulFrank View Post
At our Florida home, we had to cut down a Loquat tree last May because it was too big and too close to the house.

I'm asking because we will be down there again for the month of October, and I'd like to plant some more trees the first week we are there, then water them well for the month.....hopefully they will "take" over the winter months while we are gone.

My snowbird renters can water, etc, as needed until we return again in May. I do not like planting too much down there in May, due to the hot summer months when no one is usually there.

Frank D.
my sister-in-law. She wanted to plant tangelos just before she left. Since it was still the dry season, she was told unless she had someone around to water the young newly planted trees, it was not a good idea to get them just yet. I would assume if they were planted during the rainy season, she could have just left them to nature, so to speak.

Old 09-14-2008, 06:33 PM

1,781 posts, read 6,962,609 times
You can grow strawberries, bananas, mango's, blackberries.

for veggies you can grow tomatoes, peppers, corn, cucumbers and most of the well known veggies. Can`t think of any off hand that you can`t but tomatoes are best grown in the cooler months.

Old 09-14-2008, 06:38 PM

Default We thought so

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphaman View Post
You can grow strawberries, bananas, mango's, blackberries.

for veggies you can grow tomatoes, peppers, corn, cucumbers and most of the well known veggies. Can`t think of any off hand that you can`t but tomatoes are best grown in the cooler months.
about the tomatoes. They never seem to get beyond the flower stage. They are certainly getting enough water. So you think it would be better to start over again the winter?

Old 09-14-2008, 06:54 PM

1,781 posts, read 6,962,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
about the tomatoes. They never seem to get beyond the flower stage. They are certainly getting enough water. So you think it would be better to start over again the winter?

Yes, tomatoes unless you buy the heat resistant varieties will drop it`s flowers in heat 90 and over. Best to start them in October or February

Old 09-14-2008, 06:56 PM

Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphaman View Post
Yes, tomatoes unless you buy the heat resistant varieties will drop it`s flowers in heat 90 and over. Best to start them in October or February
We will try again.

Old 09-14-2008, 08:02 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,745,539 times
Tomatoes will grown just about anywhere in Florida, but the bugs hop right on them and destroy them. Insecticide is your friend and will allow the tomatoes to grow. I have seen it time and time again. A tomato seed dropped somewhere grows into a fine plant. The fruit develops and bugs move in and the plant is destroyed. Fat green hornworms, and leaf hoppers compete with scale insects and leaf miners to reduce your plants to mulch.

Old 09-14-2008, 08:17 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,397,659 times
Tomatoes thrive in Florida. Immokalee, Florida, is renown as a tomato growing region.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida