Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 08:25 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,910,188 times

Advertisements

first make sure that it is not a kingsnake instead of a coral.(use this ditty: red touching yellow, kill a fellow red touching black, venom lack.) then if it is a coral you can call the police to come out and get it. first, i called animal control and they would not come out at all. unfortunately, the police had to kill it since they said that there was nowhere they could take it to relocate and the one at my yard was the largest that they had seen. the police were very helpful at least in my town. do not try to catch a coral snake on your own. even though they are not aggressive their venom is extremely toxic and could kill or maim you permanently, not to mention that you might not have a ready supply of anti-venom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2008, 09:13 AM

1,781 posts, read 6,962,054 times
Call animal control if they will do nothing kill it with a shovel.

Old 09-20-2008, 02:24 PM

464 posts, read 1,741,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
Walk up to it and grab it behind the head and then grab the tail.
Corals are not that fast.
You can take my word on it.
I did 3 days in intensive care from a coral snake bite.
Is there a 'snake first aid kit' available in case youre way out in the woods and cant get to a hospital very quickly ? Im moving to Florida soon and would like to know. Also, how many poisnous snakes are there in the Panhandle area, do they come out more at night, and do they like heat or a cool environment ? Is there a Spray that can be used on them to chase them away if they linger and dont want to move ? Thank you.

Old 09-20-2008, 02:52 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,453,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowDeDo View Post
Is there a 'snake first aid kit' available in case youre way out in the woods and cant get to a hospital very quickly ? Im moving to Florida soon and would like to know. Also, how many poisnous snakes are there in the Panhandle area, do they come out more at night, and do they like heat or a cool environment ? Is there a Spray that can be used on them to chase them away if they linger and dont want to move ? Thank you.
The only "snake first aid kit" I know of is called a cell phone 911.

Not sure how many poisonous snakes there are, but here are a few:
Southern Copperhead
Cottonmouth
Diamondback Rattlesnack
Timber Rattlesnake
Dusky Pigmy Rattlesnake
Coral Snake
Black Water Mocasin (not sure what its real name is)

I have seen the water mocasins in Tallahassee at the dog parks in the water, when it rains more.

Old 09-20-2008, 03:04 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,910,188 times
here is a page with pictures of different florida snakes for identification:

Florida and Georgia Snake Identification

most snakes don't like to get wet so i usually only see them after a hard rain when they try and find higher ground. i have seen only 2 coral snakes in 10 years and none of those other poisonous snakes, but i am not in the panhandle. maybe someone who lives in the panhandle can tell you how common they are in that area.

Old 09-20-2008, 03:05 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,743,113 times
Generally you won't find rattlers in the city, and they don't chase you. The cottonmouth snakes are aggressive but mostly found near water. Coral snakes are quite rare but I have seen them. Pygmy rattlers are common in rocky dry areas even in urban areas. Anyplace with rodents or abundant insects seems to have snakes. Instead of 911 get a shotgun, that's how Floridians used to protect from snakes. In crowded areas a shovel does provide a safe way to stop a snake.

Old 09-20-2008, 08:13 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,450,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
first make sure that it is not a kingsnake instead of a coral.(use this ditty: red touching yellow, kill a fellow red touching black, venom lack.)
There are a couple of harmless snakes that look similar to corals.

Not long ago, I was working on the lawn and noticed a snake heading towards my ankle. I panicked at first because it looked like a coral snake and it was just inches from me. Turned out it was a Scarlet snake (similar to the King). Once I started to move, it turned and went back into the grass and I never saw it again.

Old 09-21-2008, 04:18 PM

267 posts, read 1,141,003 times
Thanks for the responses. It is def a coral snake. When hubby first saw it, he came in to check the computer for that rhyme. And when he went back to check the snake to be sure, it was red touching yellow. It was hanging around my ac unit. Now I am petrified that it is in and will come in through the ducts. We haven't been able to find it since. So, it is either in the ground somewhere or in my house. Do you think it will come in my dryer vent? I went to walmart to look for that snake be gone stuff but couldn't find it. Do you know where they carry it? Is it harmful for my kids? How would they trap a snake anyway? Do you think if there is one, there are more? I know, I sound like a rambling fool - but this really has me freaked out. I get worried and scan the ground everytime I walk outside now. I am not so worried about me, but my kids. Regular snakes don't bother me, but to know that there is a poison snake running around my yard.....

Old 09-21-2008, 04:33 PM

36 posts, read 171,591 times
Your outside AC unit is not connected to your ductwork. Usually dryer vents have covers that only open when the dryer is running. Still, I would kill it with a shovel or a 10' piece of pipe if you see it again.

Old 09-21-2008, 07:50 PM

1,343 posts, read 5,168,175 times
You're not a rambling fool! I probably am! I suffer from herpephobia and have lived in Florida most of my life. I have seen a few green snakes, one coral snake, a nest of pygmie rattlers, a corn (yellow ?) snake, a bunch of black snakes and one water moccassin, which chased me, (I shook for hours.)

Supposedly, they're more scared of us....., but that has never quelled my fear.

I used something called "Snake-Away." It was sulphur based. Didn't work. I've heard they won't crawl over a thick rope, that may be an old wive's tale. But if he's under your house, you don't want to retard his departure by using any of those.

Call animal control or your local ag office, they might look for it or refer you to a pro. Here's some reassurance:

Snake Bites
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida