Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 04:25 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,939,050 times

Advertisements

It's pretty straight forward--people don't like Florida in general and can't afford to move back yet, or have family that they have to stay for.

Old 09-25-2008, 04:40 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,771,754 times
I USED to like it here 10+years ago. I liked living in Melbourne back then, it's a lot better than SWFL. I think if I stayed up there, I would possibly not be moving in the next few days. BUT.... I would still miss my change of seaons. I would still miss my smeel of a woodstove burning in the winter air.

Melbourne, FL. had a much better feel to it than down here, not to mention a real seabreeze, and a better beach. Not that I am by any means a big beach goer(except in Maine...LOVE to go to those). I just liked it a LOT better there. I liked Lake Wales, FL. because it had hills, and made it feel more like up north, but there was absolutely nothing to do out there. Sarasota was another favorite of mine.

It's very true what one person likes is anothers nightmare. Florida is not a nightmare to me, just it has been a bad dream since February for me. That is why I am going HOME.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
It's pretty straight forward--people don't like Florida in general and can't afford to move back yet, or have family that they have to stay for.

Old 09-25-2008, 05:26 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,661,046 times
When I lived in Gainesville 30 years ago, that was a bad dream for me. Little did I know. Naples today is my nightmare.

Old 09-25-2008, 05:47 PM

944 posts, read 3,848,020 times
Why are you unhappy here?
Many reasons. I will publish and post a lenghty Florida autopsy report here when I leave.

Where would you like to go?
Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse, Finger Lakes or Catskills area.

When do you plan on making a move?
Hopefully the summer of '09, if not then the summer of '10

Old 09-25-2008, 05:56 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,643,615 times
Quote:
Not straight forward at all.

If it was you wouldn't have people moving away and then coming back to decide they don't like it again.

Also a statement like "People don't like Florida in general" is ridiculous. It wouldn't be one of the most populous states and one of the fastest growing if that was true.

Old 09-25-2008, 06:24 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,939,050 times
And one of the states where people also are leaving just as fast lol. You can glorify Florida all you want since you're a real estate agent and want people on this site not to be discouraged to move, but in reality, lots of people are moving out for many reasons.

Old 09-25-2008, 06:41 PM

Default It's the humidity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
Some people like the heat and some people don't.

I could live without AC but the rest of the family might complain. As it is I usually turn it off in October and it doesn't come back on until April or May.

85-90 is fine by me. I am ok till it gets down to 50 and below. Luckily we do not get that much cold weather here. But we did have a week in the 30's last year and that was too much.

I can only think of one time the heat got to me and that is when I had 60 trees taken out. I had the stump grinder going for about 13 hours straight when it was about 90-95. Besides that no problem.

I just can never understand some of the complaints on here. Yes, I understand some people did not have a choice to move here, but still, weather and changes of season are not something you can change about Florida and it has been the same way down here since long before we were all born.
I never used to think 70 degrees was hot. But it is here because coupled with the brutal HUMIDITY it feels like 85 degrees.

Old 09-25-2008, 07:21 PM

Quote:
And one of the states where people also are leaving just as fast lol. You can glorify Florida all you want since you're a real estate agent and want people on this site not to be discouraged to move, but in reality, lots of people are moving out for many reasons.
When people discuss the amount of people moving to a state it is the net increase in population that is generally discussed.

That is why it is called growth.

You will find if you take the time to read my posts that I do not glorify anything but when I read blanket statements like, "People don't like Florida in general", I am going to say something.

I know I really don't need to because anyone with a shred of intelligence would see how ridiculous a statement it is but never the less I feel compelled to say something.

If you believe your statement is true then please back it up with some facts and I will be glad to discuss it. I am relativly sure there are no facts to back it up though.

Old 09-25-2008, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
I never used to think 70 degrees was hot. But it is here because coupled with the brutal HUMIDITY it feels like 85 degrees.
Once again, each individual is accustomed to and comfortable in certain temperature ranges. I can say with certainty that I have never been hot in 70 degree weather.

Old 09-25-2008, 07:49 PM

Default Lee County School District enrollment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
When people discuss the amount of people moving to a state it is the net increase in population that is generally discussed.

That is why it is called growth.

You will find if you take the time to read my posts that I do not glorify anything but when I read blanket statements like, "People don't like Florida in general", I am going to say something.

I know I really don't need to because anyone with a shred of intelligence would see how ridiculous a statement it is but never the less I feel compelled to say something.

If you believe your statement is true then please back it up with some facts and I will be glad to discuss it. I am relativly sure there are no facts to back it up though.
declined by 3,500 children. I work in Collier. This year the decline was 400 kids. Last year it was 800 kids. Two classes were eliminated.

Care to explain this declining enrollment in view of your statement that the population of Florida is expanding? What areas of Florida are experiencing a boom in the school age population? How many new schools have been built because of it? What new construction is being built to accommodate the increase in families moving in?

It certainly is not happening in Collier. In fact there is talk of closing one of the high schools. Construction has stopped and even been abandoned.

Also, as far as people moving here, leaving, and coming back, I only can think of one person on this board. A lot of people are leaving, but I cannot recall those who are doing this the second time around. I certainly don't count since I never wanted to come back. Actually, even the first time I moved here I didn't because I wanted to live in Florida. I came here then for a person, not the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida