Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 02:17 PM

1,509 posts, read 3,083,749 times

Advertisements

I agree with your post. People should try to use logic to back up their statements here. Statements like "Florida is too hot" are not helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tungsten_Udder View Post
That's one of those claims that I'd offer money for evidence of. Let's say $50.

My criteria would be:

(1) The example has to be recorded in some way--probably either in print or on video, the Internet should work too, as long as it meets the criteria below,
(2) The utterance has to be of the form, "This is a [quality] summer/fall/winter/spring" day" (so things that are essentially the same, like "Today is a lovely summer day", or "Yesterday was a lovely summer day" count, of course).
(3) It has to be the case that the example couldn't have occurred with knowledge of this "contest"--it wouldn't work if it was possible that person S saw this thread, or if we could have just told person S to make an utterance of that sort so that we'd have the evidence. The safest way around this would be for the instance to have been documentably uttered before this thread existed,
(4) It has to be more or less clear contextually that the person wasn't joking/being facetious (so that they were using hyperbole or just a(n implied) simile to emphasize the temperature while it's still the case that they believe November, say, to be Fall--it has to be the case that they sincerely believe November, say, to be summer, just in case it's hot, and NOT the case that they believe November to be Fall, but the heat to be like summer).
(5) The person has to be at least a month off in their seasonal designation per the "calendar" seasons. For example, sincerely calling a day from October 21 through May 21 a "summer" day--this helps avoid folks who just don't know quite when the solstices or equinoxes occur, but know it's "sometime around June for the summer solstice", etc.

[Edit: I should probably add one more to avoid this loophole: (6) It has to be someone who is at least 16, who has more or less normal mental abilities, etc.--this avoids using kids or people with severe mental disabilities who might not have much familiarity with the concept of seasons.]

Now, if that's really so common, it should be an easy $50 for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2008, 02:30 PM

1,781 posts, read 6,963,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoMA4good View Post
What!?!?!?!?!

LOL I feel the same I have the intelligence of Homer Simpson compared to this poster lol.

Old 10-06-2008, 02:36 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,661,046 times
Default How hot is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulu101 View Post
I agree with your post. People should try to use logic to back up their statements here. Statements like "Florida is too hot" are not helpful.
Blast the Naples News, Honey, for THEIR false information. You want FACTS, dearie, YOU GOT THEM. Oh wait, it is all in their minds.

Heat-related illness reports rise as index surpasses 100 : Weather : Naples Daily News

I am sure if you REALLY want to know the exact heat index for every single day this past summer in Naples/Ft. Myers it is available online. No, I cannot be bothered to do that. If you want to make YOUR case that it isn't hot here, YOU DO IT.

Last edited by TANaples; 10-06-2008 at 02:45 PM..

Old 10-06-2008, 02:48 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Quote:

I have no problems with people saying that Florida is too hot for them. I have issues when they say that it NEVER gets cold, NEVER drops below 80 degrees....all year long.

For several months a year, I have had to wear jackets and sweaters! In southwest Florida.

Old 10-06-2008, 02:49 PM

436 posts, read 1,357,595 times
I am definitely no authority on Florida since I just moved here. I live in Odessa which I guess you could say it is west central Florida, 30 minutes north of Tampa. Since I moved in June, I have already noticed a change, a difference in the feeling of the temps and the air. At night and in the morning when I go to work, I actually feel chilly. Now, I have to be honest and tell you the temp is around 68, but to me that is chilly, lol! It gets warmer by mid afternoon in the 80's. That is a big difference to the summer temps of mid 90's. It is just my kind of fall. Beautiful breezes with bright, sunny skies. The only thing missing are the changing leaves, and they are so beautiful while they last. But there are trade-offs in everything, and I'll trade those leaves for the beautiful winter here instead of brutal, seemingly never-ending winter (to me), gray skies, dirty snow up north. Some people see the cup half full...others see the cup half empty. There are seasons here, not as pronounced and defined by how we usually view them, especially if you are a northerner, but there are seasonal changes to some degree.

Old 10-06-2008, 02:52 PM

Amen.
When it dropped to 69 degrees early in the morning here a few days ago, I felt VERY chilly. So who says it doesn't get cold here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margel View Post
I am definitely no authority on Florida since I just moved here. I live in Odessa which I guess you could say it is west central Florida, 30 minutes north of Tampa. Since I moved in June, I have already noticed a change, a difference in the feeling of the temps and the air. At night and in the morning when I go to work, I actually feel chilly. Now, I have to be honest and tell you the temp is around 68, but to me that is chilly, lol! It gets warmer by mid afternoon in the 80's. That is a big difference to the summer temps of mid 90's. It is just my kind of fall. Beautiful breezes with bright, sunny skies. The only thing missing are the changing leaves, and they are so beautiful while they last. But there are trade-offs in everything, and I'll trade those leaves for the beautiful winter here instead of brutal, seemingly never-ending winter (to me), gray skies, dirty snow up north. Some people see the cup half full...others see the cup half empty. There are seasons here, not as pronounced and defined by how we usually view them, especially if you are a northerner, but there are seasonal changes to some degree.

Old 10-06-2008, 02:55 PM

Default It is what you are used to

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I have no problems with people saying that Florida is too hot for them. I have issues when they say that it NEVER gets cold, NEVER drops below 80 degrees....all year long.

For several months a year, I have had to wear jackets and sweaters! In southwest Florida.
I don't wear a jacket or a sweater when it is in the 50s. I see people here walking around with parkas, hats, scarves, and gloves in those temps, which by the way, are usually only in the early morning hours in Naples in the middle of the "winter".

Sorry, I don't have a pictures to back up my illogical statement.

Old 10-06-2008, 02:56 PM

Default Read my other post, dearie

Quote:
Amen.
When it dropped to 69 degrees early in the morning here a few days ago, I felt VERY chilly. So who says it doesn't get cold here?
Yeah, I remember that day. I went outside in short sleeves and capris. It felt lovely. 69 degrees is NOT COLD.

Old 10-06-2008, 02:59 PM

then why was I freezing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
Yeah, I remember that day. I went outside in short sleeves and capris. It felt lovely. 69 degrees is NOT COLD.

Old 10-06-2008, 03:00 PM

That's a good way to catch cold or flu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
I don't wear a jacket or a sweater when it is in the 50s..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida