Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 12:54 PM

158 posts, read 868,566 times

Advertisements

Hi. Now I am changing my plan a little as far as how much $ we are willing to spend.

Here are the facts right now. We live in Rockford IL in a house we bought 1 year ago for about 170,000. It is a 4 bdrm split level. We are white and have 5 children who attend a good school in Rockton. I think we would be considered middle class.

What I am looking for is a 4 bdrm home in a pretty neighborhood. not real touristy. Maybe close to Clearwater area so we can go bum around there a bit. We are not prejudice but would either like an evenly mixed neighborhood or mostly white. I would like to spend 150,000 to 170,000 on a home.

I would like the atmosphere to be laid back but not what some might refer to as hillbillyish. We are by no means snobby or materialistic but are not piggy uncivalize slobs either. I hope this gives the right Idea of who we are. with out sounding rude.

I like middle class it even sounds nice to me you know the middle. And pretty quaint neighborhoods.

Any one have any ideas I would love to start looking into different places so in about 1 year from now we will know just where to go.

I used to live in Treasure Island Florida in 1995 and just loved it there I stayed for 2 years.

The one thing I did not like about FL. was women standing on corners in there underwear selling hot dogs. While they were pretty and maybe nice people that is just not what I want my sons or daughters thinking is ok. But I guess No state is perfect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2007, 01:44 PM

1,775 posts, read 8,099,312 times
I don't think your going to find a 4 bedroom home for that price range especially in the Clearwater area. Alot has changed since 1995 as far as market and housing. We have a friend who just built a 5 bedroom house and it's up for sale for just over $400,000 and it's not near a big city or anything special. in fact, you have to drive down a grassy field to get to their home as there is no driveway or road yet. That's just the going rate for such a big home. I can say in my area, west Central FL, you can get a 3 bedroom for maybe $160,000 if you look real good. There is a home across the street from me for sale now. It has 2 small bedrooms and is on the market for $139,500. this is in Citrus County and we have nothing spectacular in this area to have such high rates. on the other hand, at the end of my road there is a lake front 2 bedroom home up for $350,000 but that's lake front and of course will be more expensive. But just make sure you do some good researching. maybe even look at the newspapers online to get an idea of home pricing. I'm sure the Tampa Tribune or St. Pete times is online and has some info and PLEASE be sure to look at your home insurance cost too. I know that the further south you go, the more it's going to cost you for housing and just general living expenses. I'd stay north of Tampa/Orlando if you could help it. Just my suggestion. I've been in FL for 12 years.

Old 02-12-2007, 01:50 PM

It does not have to be Clearwater area. That would be nice but not a must. I wonder how Largo would be. I know it is not a cute little town. But maybe we would have to settle for that if the schools were not bad. Thanks for the tip on homeowners insurance I will definatley check that out.

Old 02-12-2007, 02:12 PM

106 posts, read 563,548 times
I seconds what Daniellefort said. I don't know of ANY homes in Florida that cheap. My advice...Go to greatschools.net and find the county with the best schools and look from there. I also agree with staying as far north as you can to avoid high home prices and high insurance costs. They are killing us Floridians Maybe Orlando, Lakeland, some parts of Tampa??? I don't think you will find what you are looking for in either Clearwater or Largo for that price.
By the way...I don't think you will be able to avoid hillbillies anywhere in Florida

Old 02-12-2007, 02:24 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,085,833 times
I would suggest PSL, you can get a 2 or 3 bedroom house for $135k to $175k. Four bedrooms will run you $175k to $225k. Maybe you can convert the car garage into another bedroom? My dad did just that when we owned our first house. I think your gonna love PSL and the somewhat reasonable prices. Maybe you can find a foreclosure special, I am looking for one myself.

Old 02-12-2007, 03:01 PM

1,775 posts, read 8,099,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezinIL View Post
It does not have to be Clearwater area. That would be nice but not a must. I wonder how Largo would be. I know it is not a cute little town. But maybe we would have to settle for that if the schools were not bad. Thanks for the tip on homeowners insurance I will definatley check that out.
Yes be sure of the insurance before you buy. That's the whole reason people are leaving FL to other states. It's terrible. The insurance companies have ways to get around sink hole coverage, wind damage coverage, flood damage, and all those little things you might not quite remember when living in FL. Also, Clearwater/St.Pete has turned into condos EVERYWHERE for the old and rich people. They tore down beutiful hotels and resorts to put up a stinking condo. Downtown St. Pete is getting one put up right now smack dab in the middle of the city. Good luck in your search though. I hope you find what your looking for.

Old 02-12-2007, 03:46 PM

I will check out Lakeland area. and PSL. I saw few homes on realtor.com in largo for decent prices. I will definatlely be looking for a forcloser home. I am not sure what the downside of foreclosure home are though. I will have to look more into it. I really have alot to check into I guess. I really have always loved Florida. I really felt at peace there. I do not here.

Thanks.....I will look into all idea's I need them!

Old 02-12-2007, 03:54 PM

44 posts, read 93,739 times
Default Check out this article....

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/busin...ate/index.html

Old 02-13-2007, 09:05 PM

713 posts, read 2,670,012 times
Default I would suggest...

Spring Hill, FL. Maybe Brooksville.

Old 02-13-2007, 09:32 PM

3,256 posts, read 8,901,741 times
I just moved from the tampa area last year, just over the bridge from Clearwater. The prices on a 4 bedroom are probably more towards the $300,000 to be honest. The Largo area is less expensive, but it also has somewhat of a concentration of elderly people. If I remember correctly I think that's one of the areas that has alot of mobile home parks, the kind that are 55 and older only communities.

The areas of South St Pete, West and North West of Clearwater will be less expensive. I used to work with a woman that lived in the Port Ritchie area and I think that is actually pretty reasonable. I don't know anything about the schools in those areas though, sorry. Another woman had bought a house in St Pete and it's value has gone tremendously in the past 2 years so it might be out of range by now.

When I lived in Tampa, alot of people told me they preferred St Pete Beach to Clearwater Beach, and also getting to Clearwater Beach is a nightmare when the weather is great because there's only one road you can take to get there. Bumper to Bumper traffic is the norm unfortunately.

Hope it helps!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida