Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 09:19 PM

713 posts, read 2,670,012 times

Advertisements

If you're in a trailer park, you might have valid worries but if you're in a well built home, things should be okay. We prepare for hurricane season but we don't have them everyday. I've been down here since 1980 and it's either getting use to snow, ice, blizzards or hurricanes, thunder and in some cases lightening storms. Every part of the country has weather issues of some sort. Best wishes with your move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2007, 06:42 PM

258 posts, read 1,176,269 times
Smile I'm from LI too!

Hi
I'm also looking to move away from LI this summer. We're kinda looking into the FT Myers area because my MIL is moving there. But I'm concerned about finding a decent paying job. I'm not really concerned w/schools because we don't have kids. Just looking for somewhere safe, nice and affordable.

Old 02-15-2007, 06:26 AM

156 posts, read 711,071 times
Default I moved from Long Island

I lived on Long Island for 36 years, and relocated to South Florida one year ago, I can honestly say the only thing I miss about NY is the people I left! Yes, it is scary going through a hurricane, but you always have enough time to get out early if you so choose. My advice is this, make sure you are coming down with either a great job making over $75,000 a year, or that you have enough capital to get a very low mortgage and still have lots of money in the bank. It is paradise here, but it does come at a price! Just think of it this way, all of the money you usually spend to fly to a warm destination during the cold, dreary summer...you can now use to pay your homeowners insurance!! I doubt anyone would regret moving to Florida if they do their homework!!

Old 02-15-2007, 06:28 AM

156 posts, read 711,071 times
Make that the cold, dreary winter!!!!

Old 02-15-2007, 09:43 AM

628 posts, read 1,833,962 times
To all you Long Islanders and NYers.

I moved to the Tampa Bay region in 2001. Born and raised in Seaford and raised my family in Oyster Bay. I worked down town NY for 15 years then worked on LI for about another 10. It was crazy then and the writing was on the wall so we moved.

Many will disagree depending on their perspective but Florida is an affordable reality. I looked as far south as Costa Rica and Panama [not Panama City FL] and my wife and I came to understand some realities.

We came from NY and spent much of our personal and professional life in NYC so our expectations and requirements were high but so was the cost for all those amenities [both in $$$ and quality of life].

I know the Ft Lauderdale/Miami region and its style very well as it was the place where we had our vacation condo. I would not live there as it is a bit too aggressive for my taste. There are plenty of good things about those areas but I did not leave NY only to move to NY with palm trees.

There are many other beautiful areas to live in FLA and Tampa Bay [Pinellas, Hillsborough, and Pasco counties] is one of them.

I can’t comment directly on schools – my kids are grown but from what I hear they are not too bad.
Weather is a problem everywhere. Too hot – too cold – snow and power lines down – hurricanes and power out. Earthquakes, mudslides, fires, tornadoes….. The list goes on. In general much like the northeast is prepared for snow events Florida is well prepared for hurricanes. Insurance has been changing across the country and many areas and states are experiencing higher insurance costs.

There are thing that can be done to mitigate higher insurance premiums, like upgrading the structure of an older home to higher wind tolerances or purchasing a newer home built to the 2002 and later building codes. Wind and flood are the dangers. If you live close to the water flood is more of a concern. Wind events can reach further inland but generally do not cause destruction on a massive scale as they lose significant strength when they move just a few miles inland [there have been exceptions here]

I currently own 2 properties here – one on the water in Pinellas [St Pete] and one in NW Hillsborough (Tampa) my insurance on the Tampa home is about 2k per year for a 3k sq ft 4 bed 3 bath home built in 2005 no flood required. My St Pete home is 2k sq ft 3/2 built in 1970 and with flood it runs about 3k per yr. When I left LI in 2001 a similar 1800 sq ft home built in 1950’s was about 1200 per yr to insure and I hear that that has gone up as well so the difference is not as bad as some make it out to be – again perspective rules here!!

People complain about the high cost of living here – again it’s all about perspective. As I said we considered many places but all factors considered like services - health care - government - schools, amenities like shopping – restaurants - entertainment and culture….. You can’t beat FLA for the money. Add to that the natural beauty and warm climate and the deal get that much better

I’m getting long winded here so one last thing. Do all the reading and research – get as much information as possible – ask for professional opinions and if you know someone personally that you trust ask lots of questions!

Good Luck

Old 02-15-2007, 11:47 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,160,105 times
Shores9. I think you are one of the great posters on this forum. You're level headed, realistic, practical, and you take some awesome pictures, giving of your time to share with us for our enjoyment.

Now, here comes the crux of this post. :-)

I have two piggybanks. One is really a piggy and the other is a clown. The clown gets the dimes and nickels and the piggy gets the pennys. They're, hummm, medium sized and both very heavy. I also have my house which will represent a nice chunk of equity, even after the balance of the mortgage is paid off.
I'm still working age (grrrrrr) and not the sit at home kind.

I've been to St. Pete a few times but never thought of it with relocation potential. What areas would you recommend for someone with two piggybanks?

Old 02-15-2007, 12:50 PM

628 posts, read 1,833,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
Shores9. I think you are one of the great posters on this forum. You're level headed, realistic, practical, and you take some awesome pictures, giving of your time to share with us for our enjoyment.

Now, here comes the crux of this post. :-)

I have two piggybanks. One is really a piggy and the other is a clown. The clown gets the dimes and nickels and the piggy gets the pennys. They're, hummm, medium sized and both very heavy. I also have my house which will represent a nice chunk of equity, even after the balance of the mortgage is paid off.
I'm still working age (grrrrrr) and not the sit at home kind.

I've been to St. Pete a few times but never thought of it with relocation potential. What areas would you recommend for someone with two piggybanks?
Taking your request both literally and figuratively I will say the following

So I think you’re a saver and you’re serious and organized about your savings and investments – why else would you categorize the nickels dimes and pennies in your life. Your third [and maybe biggest] piggybank is your house which you seem equally serious about… not wanting to compromise it equity.

Also, it seems that you see the value in being prepared and/or planning for the future as you talk about “balance being paid off” “still working”, and “not sitting at home” – these all suggest you have some goals in mind.

It’s really hard to answer or recommend a place not knowing more about you [and not have in-depth knowledge outside the Tampa Bay area] but I will say that it does seem that you want to enjoy more of life – you will probably not stop working even when you could afford to do so - maybe you will pursue a different path or career with different rewards [other than money] and as a result you should be as close to those things that make you happy because when you have the time you will want to take full advantage of all that your home, community, town, and state have to offer.

PS Great Posters - Thank you that was very nice but for me I think it’s - listen more, verify your facts before you speak - try to be helpful [and grateful] - and try not to say anything if you don’t have something of value to add [positive or negative]

Also St Pete and the Bay area have a lot to offer and at a reasonable price – St Pete in particular is one of those places that grows on you and when it does it’s hard to let go.

Old 02-15-2007, 01:05 PM

Shores9 - Do you have a crystal ball? Delve into psychiatry a little bit? Wow, I am impressed with that analysis. I wish everyone could see through me like that! I think I fit the description to a large degree, definitely much more since I've matured a little. I've come to realize a few things a little bit late in life but I am on the war path. Now if I could only get the rest of the clan to "follow the leader"....
Thank you for your insight and suggestions. I truly appreciate it.

Old 02-15-2007, 01:54 PM

18 posts, read 106,481 times
Default Thank you for the positive input

Shores9~Thank you so much for such a positive outlook on things. I agree about your comment on perspective. Everyone talks about the cost of living in Florida but because I have been in Westchester County for the past decade, it does not seem bad to me at all. My husband and I are both health professionals so although we are not filthy rich, I think we would do relatively well.

We have family in South Florida. My aunt moved from NY two decades ago and she has never regreted her decision.

Anyway, Gainesville has been thrown at us as food for thought. What words of wisdom can you share regarding this area?

Old 02-15-2007, 02:21 PM

Wanditapan... I'm a former Westchesterite (New Rochelle). Moved to FL 10 yrs ago and have never looked back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida