Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 02:57 PM

2,141 posts, read 6,904,766 times

Advertisements

It sounded like easy money, a no-brainer.

Hundreds turned out to a Long Island Marriott Hotel to hear one of several presentations that led many northeastern investors into perhaps the biggest financial catastrophe of their lives.

So many people showed up for the monthly meeting of the Long Island Real Estate Investors Association that staff at the Melville, N.Y., hotel had to remove two partition panels to convert the banquet room into a ballroom.

As the historic 2003-05 Florida real estate boom peaked, Seashore Resorts LLC, and its agents regaled investors with stories about Southwest Florida's magical climate, its low unemployment, its booming demographics and most of all, the potential for 30 percent annual returns on residential real estate.

Seashore pitched "100 percent spec investor pre-construction loans" requiring little or no money down so long as the investor had good credit: a score of 680 or higher.

At that point in the market cycle, the tales of easy money were likely true, but fleeting. By the time most investors were brought aboard, the music had all but stopped, along with the work on their homes. By 2006, the days of easy pickings of low-hanging fruit were over. anyone been to one of the several presentations ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2007, 08:01 AM

904 posts, read 2,872,962 times
Come on down to Vero Beach, we offer : Great schools, beaches, good restaurants, friendly people. The town is also very safe.

Old 05-20-2007, 02:33 PM

27 posts, read 73,040 times
where are you looking

Old 05-20-2007, 02:55 PM

672 posts, read 905,056 times
[quote=wanditapa13;363192]Honest pros and cons would really be appreciated here.

I realize that the biggest con is the weather/hurricanes. Should that be the biggest reason not to move to Florida? We have been there during the hot rainy season and that does not really bother us. Realistically speaking, most Floridians I know go from air conditioned home, to the air conditioned car and into an air conditioned anywhere else during this season. The thought of having the opportunity to be more outdoors in Florida is very appealing. I love it there and can see myself living in that environment.

I am also aware of the not so great public school districts but that can apply to pretty much any state. I would definitely want to move to a good school district (Jupiter, Aventura, etc) but would like it to be in the least hurricane prone area (statistically speaking since you can not control weather).

I used to work as a TA on Long Island. I knew 3 teachers who moved to Florida and came back. First of all the salaries are going to be almost half of what they are here, but the teachers said the conditions in the schools were horrible. I worked with one teacher who came back and the school district called her about every six months asking her if she had changed her mind and wanted to come back. Now, granted she had been teaching about 25 years and was making top dollar here ($70,000), but she said it wasn't even the money, but the conditions of the schools.

No, I have heard nothing positive. Sorry. My daughter justed graduated with a BS in Education and is looking for a job in NYC. The starting salary is $51,000. Even if the conditions in the schools may not be "ideal", at the the end of the day at least the MONEY makes it worth it.

Old 07-24-2007, 09:26 PM

4 posts, read 7,852 times
Default Relocating to FloridaHi

Hello:

Just saw your email . I am selling my beautiful Florida home in great school district. Are you looking for a Florida home in a great neighborhood??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida