U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 11:57 AM

7,279 posts, read 20,469,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shedav View Post
6/3 2500sq in WV on 1 acre, taxes 1200, HOI 1500. and we are in the country.

Taxes are crazy everywhere!!!!!
I just thought I would throw this in here. Mind you I am NOT trying to diminish anyones real concern about FL taxes and HOI rates. I used to live in South East FL and still have family and friends there. But here in East TN we have a 4/2 1500 sq ft 2 bath. Almost 1/2 acre. Property taxes are $550 a year and HOI is $495 a year. We have public sewer/water and trash pick up, GREAT schools and all amenities (lots of stores, huge library, very good police etc) all within 5-10 miles. Roads are in good condition, not much traffic until you get right downtown. We also have no state income tax, but sales taxes ARE higher here. Granted I prefer 4 seasons and don't care for oceans. This is the main reason TN is my preference over FL. But my point is, no property taxes and HOI is NOT a huge issue everywhere in the country.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2007, 12:11 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 15,723,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
I just thought I would throw this in here. Mind you I am NOT trying to diminish anyones real concern about FL taxes and HOI rates. I used to live in South East FL and still have family and friends there. But here in East TN we have a 4/2 1500 sq ft 2 bath. Almost 1/2 acre. Property taxes are $550 a year and HOI is $495 a year. We have public sewer/water and trash pick up, GREAT schools and all amenities (lots of stores, huge library, very good police etc) all within 5-10 miles. Roads are in good condition, not much traffic until you get right downtown. We also have no state income tax, but sales taxes ARE higher here. Granted I prefer 4 seasons and don't care for oceans. This is the main reason TN is my preference over FL. But my point is, no property taxes and HOI is NOT a huge issue everywhere in the country.

I'm moving to TN!
Expenses are relative to incomes. I would imagine that even your taxes and HOI could pose difficulties for others.

Old 02-18-2007, 12:34 PM

1 posts, read 2,627 times
Default Taxes in Trenton, FL

I live in New York but I am looking at property in Trenton, Florida. Can anybody tell me what the taxes are like in that area, what you are paying for homeowners insurance, what the state tax is, what the weather is like regarding tornadoes, hurricanes, and anything else you can tell me about the area?
Thank you.

Old 02-18-2007, 01:06 PM
SKB

900 posts, read 3,389,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdber94 View Post
Canal front home with sailboat water, 2,100 SF 3b/2b, pool, boat lift, docks, $3,800. NO home owner fees. Insurance $2,500.
How do you like living on a Canal?
Have you had problems with Alligators? or lots of bugs?

What other if any problems do you encounter when living on a Canal?

My husband really wants to purchase a 25 foot boat when we move this summer. He loves fishing as we did a lot of that when we lived in The Bahamas. I was wondering if it makes more sense to get a home on a canal with ocean access or simply pay to dock the boat elsewhere.

I noticed your taxes are not to bad how long have you lived in your home? Is the insurance a lot more with being on a Canal?

My fears are the alligators, as I a terrified of them, just looking at pictures makes me feel sick. I have three dogs (one small one) I have read the sad stories of dogs being taken.

Thanks for answering all of my questions.

SKB

Old 02-18-2007, 01:08 PM

142 posts, read 561,192 times
Default Psl, Fl and Pa

I live in Port Saint Lucie, Fl.. I've owned this home since '88. My taxes are 1100 a year and my Home owners Insurance is 1200. It's about 1700 square feet and about 4 miles from the ocean.. I homestead here and live in Pennsylvania in the summer where I pay 240 a year for HO insurance and about 1900 a year in taxes for a larger home (built in 2006). So they both come to about the same for taxes and insurance..

Old 02-18-2007, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
I'm moving to TN!
Expenses are relative to incomes. I would imagine that even your taxes and HOI could pose difficulties for others.
True. Some good news here, now for those over 65 on a fixed income the state just put a freeze on property taxes. Meaning what ever your property taxes are on your 65th birthday (or when you buy the house if you are that age already), they will never go higher than that.
For me personally, I make more here in TN than I did in FL. I know several folks that when it is all figured out (income verses outgoing) they also make the same if not more than in a few other states as well as FL. Unemployment rate (in my area of TN anyway) is less than 5%. But like I said earlier, it also comes down to preference of climate and life style too. Which to me, means more than income. I do have children so that makes a HUGE difference to me. My choice was to not raise them in Fl, others feel differently.

Old 02-18-2007, 01:42 PM

1,683 posts, read 7,982,644 times
mbmouse, we are definitely considering TN for retirement. DH and I met at Lee University in Cleveland many years ago. We love the mountains and the idea of much cheaper expenses in retirement. However, we are concerned about climate issues. I remember freezing in Cleveland and that was when I was young! We would like to live in Sevier County or a neighboring County where we we have access to the National Park and all the entertainment, restaurants in Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge without living in the immediate vicinity and dealing with all the traffic.

We would love to become snowbirds and winter in Florida and summer in TN, but considering how expensive Florida has become, I seriously doubt that will be an option.

Old 02-18-2007, 03:16 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 15,723,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
True. Some good news here, now for those over 65 on a fixed income the state just put a freeze on property taxes. Meaning what ever your property taxes are on your 65th birthday (or when you buy the house if you are that age already), they will never go higher than that.
For me personally, I make more here in TN than I did in FL. I know several folks that when it is all figured out (income verses outgoing) they also make the same if not more than in a few other states as well as FL. Unemployment rate (in my area of TN anyway) is less than 5%. But like I said earlier, it also comes down to preference of climate and life style too. Which to me, means more than income. I do have children so that makes a HUGE difference to me. My choice was to not raise them in Fl, others feel differently.
Mbmouse. If you can hold property values for another few years (too many in my book) I'll look into TN when I'm 65. There are times when I wish I was 65 already!

My priorities change as I get older. I would love to just have a nice place, where I have what I NEED to live in peace, have my pets and no worrying about the yard. That would be #1.

I raised my son in NYC so I know what you mean.

BTW, what's the warmest part of TN? Not looking in any cold spots.

Old 02-18-2007, 04:09 PM

I don't want to hijack the tread, so ask this again in the TN forum, happy to answer there as will others

Old 02-18-2007, 06:44 PM

2,930 posts, read 6,793,632 times
The part of Miami where I live, it's about 2.79% of your the sold value.

We bought our home in 1996 and some neighbors with the same home who bought recently their homes pay over $3,200 more in taxes. (I said more)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida