Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2006, 02:05 PM

243 posts, read 1,093,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherfordfan View Post
Sunnydog, those are mostly all minimum wage and call center jobs. Easy to get a minimum wage job but hard to survive off it when the cost of living keeps going up quicker than the salaries.

Not gonna disagree that FL needs better jobs, but it's always been that way here,and if anything it's improved some lately. Also I see lots of posts here where folks are looking to move to some spot in eastern Tennessee or western North Carolina where it's dirt cheap. Mostly all low wage jobs there as well.

I've technically never made minimum wage here--I started out in 1991 at 16 making $4.50/hr when min. was $4.25/hr. I stayed there 9 months (job market here in Miami was tough then) until I got a tips based job where I averaged $8/hr in 1992-93. In 1994 I had my own auto detailing business (# employees: me) and I could earn $10-12/hr doing that. I currently make over double that. There are opportunities here, even for a guy of fairly average intelligence and ambition such as myself. Unless you're a teen or just off the boat, there's no reason why a person can't make at least $10/hr here.

Old 09-15-2006, 02:06 PM

99 posts, read 306,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyDog View Post
What I can't figure out is the "Florida ain't what it used to be" posts. Unemployment here is at record lows and FL has one of the nation's lowest unemployment and fastest job growth rates. It sure wasn't like that 15 years ago when I started working--but nowadays I see help wanted signs all over. Yeah FL was alot cheaper years ago, but there were also about twice as many people out of work.
Here's the thing. You are looking from the view of a single person. I ascertained (and correct me if I'm wrong) from your posts that you're not married and you have no children. You don't own your own home and really aren't in any rush to do so. You have a decent paying job that allows you to live the life you want. You love the outdoors and have plenty of time to enjoy them. In turn, this is the perfect locale for you based on your needs.

Now, a lot of the people 'griping' (using the term given to us who have some issues with the state) are in a very different position. They have children, their jobs are low- or decent- paying but haven't given salary increases to put a dent in the increased cost of living. They WANT to own a home, and have researched most viable avenues of attaining one. They're making it, but not getting ahead. They remember a different FL, one where most anyone with some drive and who wasn't afraid of hard work could secure a decent lifestyle.

Or maybe they resemble my circumstance. Young and ambitious, they've done what society told them to do and they've ended up screwed anyway. They grew up here, went to school here, and planned to raise their kids here. But unfortunately, they have come of age at the height of a real estate boom and can no longer afford to stretch their paychecks any further. So they will take the little they've amassed and move on.

As far as jobs, even the governor admits that the state needs more quality jobs. We have many, but a great majority of the ones currently created are service-sector low paying positions.

Old 09-15-2006, 02:22 PM

34 posts, read 34,674 times
Police, Teachers, Fire Dept., are all underpaid just to name a few. I'm tired of that "you'll just have to accept it" attitude. If you go to school for 4 years, you deserve to be paid appropriately.

You can make a way better living in a lot of other states but why focus our energy on salaries in Georgia, Michigan, and California, when we should be focusing on how we can improve our own situation and give professionals a fair paycheck at the end of the week.

On BayNews9 yesterday, there was a concern of young professionals leaving the Tampa area. They were saying how the economy here is driving young professionals out because of our problems. We have MAJOR problems in Florida. The infrastructure is collapsing.

People making 35k with Master's degrees is fair? Give me a break.

Old 09-15-2006, 02:25 PM

34 posts, read 34,674 times
Quote:
Young and ambitious, they've done what society told them to do and they've ended up screwed anyway. They grew up here, went to school here, and planned to raise their kids here. But unfortunately, they have come of age at the height of a real estate boom and can no longer afford to stretch their paychecks any further. So they will take the little they've amassed and move on.
Agree 100 with you! Couldn't have said it better!

Old 09-15-2006, 02:28 PM

243 posts, read 1,093,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chocomom View Post
Here's the thing. You are looking from the view of a single person. I ascertained (and correct me if I'm wrong) from your posts that you're not married and you have no children. You don't own your own home and really aren't in any rush to do so. You have a decent paying job that allows you to live the life you want. You love the outdoors and have plenty of time to enjoy them. In turn, this is the perfect locale for you based on your needs.

True True True!

But ya know, back in 1974 when my parents bought their first house in Miami my mom worked full time and my dad full time plus a p/t job to pay for it. Mortgage rates were higher then, negating the lower prices. Also the job market and pay wasn't as good here. And even with both my dad's parents working f/t in 1950's Detroit they couldn't afford a single family house til my dad was a teenager, and that house was barely larger than the 1 bedroom apt. I live in now. Moral of the story is struggles are everywhere and always have been and will be. I don't shed tears for myself or others my age in FL or anywhere else in America, as a generation we've been given plenty.

Old 09-15-2006, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyDog View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by chocomom View Post

True True True!

But ya know, back in 1974 when my parents bought their first house in Miami my mom worked full time and my dad full time plus a p/t job to pay for it. Mortgage rates were higher then, negating the lower prices. Also the job market and pay wasn't as good here. And even with both my dad's parents working f/t in 1950's Detroit they couldn't afford a single family house til my dad was a teenager, and that house was barely larger than the 1 bedroom apt. I live in now. Moral of the story is struggles are everywhere and always have been and will be. I don't shed tears for myself or others my age in FL or anywhere else in America, as a generation we've been given plenty.
Did they have degrees? Not negating what you're saying, but trying to establish the context versus the current situation.

Here's my family's story.By the time my parents were our age (25 & 26) they already owned a townhouse, and owned a 2nd home by 30. They are only 4. My paternal grandparents got their first home by 30, as soon as he left the military. My paternal grandmother has never worked. My maternal grandparents also bought their first home by 30 and paid it off by 60. None had degrees but took good-paying blue class jobs and made it.

My husband has a bachelor's and I have an AA. At 65k gross, we can't afford a home. We went to school, married, work hard, and have two kids. We did it 'the right way'. Yet we are worse off at our age than any of our predecessors.

Old 09-15-2006, 03:00 PM

My husband is a probation officer with a B.S. in Criminal Justice. I am a secretary with an A.A. in paralegal studies. He makes 36k a year, I make 30k. His job is definitely more work and more hours than mine (40), but his pay really doesn't reflect the degree or effort required for his job, does it? He carries a gun and handcuffs everyday and works in one the highest crime areas of Dade County. I have a bad day if I get a paper cut.

I was just offered a position in which THEY searched me out for to start at
35k a year. Although I'm not taking it b/c we're leaving the state, it doesn't really make sense does it? And I know what you'll say...but he has a pension. He actually doesn't, taking the option from the state when he started to invest any contributions he receives instead of the traditional option. It still doesn't amount to much more than what he could've had if he'd received a higher pay scale and done a 401k.

I'd stay in a heartbeat if we could find an affordable (incl. taxes and insurance) 3/2 with 1500 sq. feet. No fancy kitchens granite anything necessary. We haven't worked to deserve those luxuries yet.

Old 09-16-2006, 03:55 PM

238 posts, read 666,366 times
Default chocomom

Gosh I Really Like The Way You Think, We Are The Same "as In Like Minds ", But You Say It So Much Better!
I Am Up Here In North Ga Till Tuesday, I Have A Final Interview With The Dept Of Children And Familys. And I Have To Tell You Its So Nice Right Now , The Leaves Are Starting To Change And Its About 70 Degrees Daytime And Evenings Are Mid 50's. No Air Conditioner , All Windows Open With Nice Breeze . Just An Fyi Our Water Bill Came In For 34 Days - Watered Lawn Everyday And Sad To Say Not Being Very Frugal On Water . The Bill Was 26.00 The Electric Bill Was A Big 96.00 And We Went From 60,000 A Year Both Of Us Combined To 85,000. This Is Just Starting Out In Ga . Instead Of A 300.00 Dollar Raise A Year From The Florida School System . He Will Recieve A 3000.00 A Year Increase. I Feel Very Lucky To Have Such A Good Start Here. I Know You And Yours Will Also . Just To Add, Gas On The Way Up Is 209. A Gallon And Grocery's Are Way Much Less ! Now I Just Have The Horse To Move Up! Cheers Spotrod P.s. I Was Sitting Outside Last Night In Tampa And The Sun Was Setting And It Was Very Nice Out- God I Will Miss Fl Too , Oh Well ......can't Have It All , At Least I Have A Home Now And We Can Save Some $ For Vacations In " Where Else"? Florida................lol

Old 09-16-2006, 06:30 PM

68 posts, read 420,937 times
Default Say "yes" To The State Of "no"

No state income tax.
No state inspection (you know that little sticker they put on your front windshield in other states that costs both time and money).
No problem getting a concealed weapon license if you're a good guy/girl.
No snow.

Old 09-16-2006, 09:41 PM

7 posts, read 17,760 times
Florida just plain sucks--and yes--there IS MORE crime here than in other places. In most states the crime is limited to inner cities, In florida, it is statewide. There is no escaping it. Florida is just a crappy place to live. There is nothing good about it. I'm getting out as soon as I can..And by the way $10 and hour is not a good wage!!!!! duh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida