U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 05:32 PM

2,313 posts, read 2,815,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamboosmom
OMG, our schools here in Charlotte County received all A's also.
I lowered the price of our home and now I will not go any lower
Refering to my other post, if you are in Charlotte County the new buyer of your $300,000 house will be paying around $4500, to $5000. in taxes depending where exactly you are.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2006, 05:56 PM

1,130 posts, read 1,397,320 times
My taxes right now are only $1600. I don't think they will be up $5000. The new homes being built are getting hit with the high taxes though. Our community is grandfathered in with the lower taxes. They will go up but I don't think to $5000. Not for a while. I sure hope so for the buyers sake. I guess the taxes are better than what Jersey is paying. My little 1500 sq. ft.
home in Jersey had taxes of almost $5,000 in 99, now they are almost up to $8,000 for the same house...geez.

Last edited by bamboosmom; 07-11-2006 at 06:00 PM..

Old 07-11-2006, 06:26 PM

Quote:
My taxes right now are only $1600. I don't think they will be up $5000. The new homes being built are getting hit with the high taxes though. Our community is grandfathered in with the lower taxes. They will go up but I don't think to $5000. Not for a while. I sure hope so for the buyers sake. I guess the taxes are better than what Jersey is paying. My little 1500 sq. ft.
home in Jersey had taxes of almost $5,000 in 99, now they are almost up to $8,000 for the same house...geez.
There is no such thing as grandfathered taxes. Your millage is between .155 and .164 and that is what the new owner will be paying. At .155 that is $1550. per $100,000 of value or $4650. for your house for the new owner.

I was at the property appraisers off last year discussing some commercial property I own and at the next desk was a woman in tears almost hysterical because she and her mother went in on a house they thought the taxes were $1100. and when she got the tax bill after buying the house they were $6500. They were so stupid they had just listened to what the seller told them and were now stuck.

This is what you are refering to, it does not apply to a new owner, just you.
This is from you property appraisers site:
-------------------
Save Our Homes (SOH) And Its Effect On Assessed Value

Section 193.155, F.S., limits annual increases in assessed value on property receiving homestead exemption. Accordingly, "assessed value" and "just (appraised) value" can differ substatially on homestead properties.

In the year following the year in which the property receives homestead exemption, any increase in assessed value, absent new construction, is limited to three (3) percent, or the percentage change in the Consumer Price Index, whichever is lower. Any ownership change of homestead property, except those noted in Section 193.155, erases any limitation received due to "SOH", since the property's assessed value must be restored to it's full market (just) value the following January 1. Consequently, prospective purchasers of homestead properties should base their estimate of future property taxes on the current just (market) value, not assessed value. Properties not receiving homestead exemption are not eligible for this limitation. Top

Last edited by macguy; 07-11-2006 at 06:49 PM..

Old 07-11-2006, 06:57 PM

hmm, I will mention this to my DH. Oh well, guess that's what it will be then.
Boy, taxes are going to kill us all!

Old 07-11-2006, 07:20 PM

Quote:
hmm, I will mention this to my DH. Oh well, guess that's what it will be then.
Boy, taxes are going to kill us all!
You know where you live, statewide those are low millage rates. In broward county where the rate is around .25 the tax on your house would be $7500. The last three or four years have hit south Florida with a triple whammy. 1. the increased property value increasing taxes for new buyers. 2. the hurricanes have increased the insurance rates.

The third combines the first two to make it hit you like a hammer. Because of the higher property value the insurance rate increases reflecting both the higher risk as well as the higher property value they are insuring. So a $300,000 home in say Broward county for a new owner will have taxes of around $7500 a year (A little less due to the homestead exemption but not much since it is only $25,000. which was fine when houses were worth $85,000 but today means nothing)

Add to that around $4500 or more a year in insurance and you have $12,000 a year or more just in taxes and insurance before they have even begun to pay a mortgage or any other expenses. It is amazing anyone would buy a house here, who wants to pay that kind of money even those that can afford it.

Old 07-11-2006, 07:46 PM

It's the price people pay to live in paradise!

Old 07-11-2006, 08:10 PM

Quote:
It's the price people pay to live in paradise!
That remains to be seen, remember this is all very recent. The insurance situation is less then a year old and we are yet to know to what extent it will ultimately effect the future housing market. Houses down here may be worth the most right now then they might be for years to come. I think the crazy property increases here are over till all this pans out over time. It is certainly over for the crazy speculating that was going on, a lot of those people who got in most recently may be lucky to get out even.

Old 07-12-2006, 09:46 AM

That is so true. It will only take time to see what happens.

Old 04-01-2007, 08:32 PM

1 posts, read 2,471 times
Smile One of the best communities in the country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirlGoinSouth View Post
Does anyone have any info on this area of Fla? I looked at the website and it looks pretty nice...Anyone have first hand info??
I have lived in FishHawk Ranch since 2003. This is without a doubt one of the finest places to live, if you have children we have the top schools in the county located inside the community. It is a fast growing area and the people are very friendly. I'm from Northern NJ and there is no comparison as far as the quality of life. Get out of NJ and come down here and enjoy the palm trees. The website for FishHawk Ranch can not capture just how beautiful this community really is.

Old 04-18-2007, 07:57 PM

3 posts, read 9,145 times
Default Fish Hawk Ranch

This is a great place to live. My kids love it and so do I. However, the taxes and insurance will kill you. I originally purchased my home at $128,000. My taxed are obviously structured based on the purchase price. My taxes for 2006 were close to $3,700. Included in your taxes is the CDD fee of $980 to help pay back the bonds that were taken out by the Development company. In addition to that you have the annual homeowners associaion fee which varies depending on your subdivision. I am still trying to figure out what they do with the annual fee because they won't even cut the grass around the retention pond. The residents do it. Don't get me wrong it is absolutely gorgeous here but if the prices keep going up it will become more and more difficult for someone with a modest salary to live here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>