Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 11:40 AM

1 posts, read 2,105 times

Advertisements

will be going to Florida in 2 weeks and our Villa has a a pool , cannot wait to swim in it and am glad I will not have to worry about no see-ums or midgets as we call em in Europe. its a drawback that we will be loosing some of the sun rays with the screen, however, we will make up for this on our many trips around Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 02:46 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,824,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petalutha View Post
We are about to begin looking at houses in Florida, and I am wondering two things.

One, what is a 'courtyard home'?

Two, I see that a lot of pools are covered or screened in. For those with experience living in Florida, what do you think of these covers? Do they let in any sun? (I don't tan much but don't want an indoor pool, either.)

Thanks for any advice!
No idea on the 'courtyard home' unless it is exactly what it suggests... a home with an enclosed/walled-in courtyard (?) - Of course, there are probably some who will call a 6x8' gated entryway/alcove with a couple of potted plants, a 'courtyard.'

A screened pool and a covered pool are two different things. A screened pool is about keeping bugs out (and providing a modicum of barrier security in the form of a screen panel or door). A covered pool generally refers to a mechanically operated cover that rests directly on the edge of the pool, and is either designed to keep heat in a heated pool, (for example, at night) ... or trash out of a non-screened pool. Some people also use a pool cover as a security precaution. for resident/visiting kids, that cannot be simply locked-out of the pool area. An indoor pool is rarely referred to as a screened or covered pool.

Having said that, it's amazing how realtors often mis-use euphemisms and other cloudy language to describe a property as something it is not. (For example, in Florida, whenever you see an RE ad that says "Ocean View", it invariably means when you stand on a chair and look out a window at a funny angle, you may get a glimpse of the ocean between houses or condos!) - Another ridiculously overused and meaningless term is "stunning view" -- (I guess a lot of folks spend years in caves and then, when suddenly taken out into the light, they are 'stunned.'

Last edited by jghorton; 08-25-2010 at 02:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: